two • a mere sapphire

Grosvenor Square, 1813

It is truly simple to say that Lady Addington's beauty was unmatched. The fairest jewel residing in England, if I were to say so myself...

All arriving in coach, the young ladies prepared for this special... evaluation.

•••
"Are you ready, dearest?" Ginevra asked, reaching to straighten out her daughters teal gown. It certainly was a different style to those surrounding her. Matching more of an American style gown, still beautiful none the less.

Releasing her final call of distress, Nola latched onto Simon and Oliver's arms, "as ready as I'll ever be." She was led into the castle, her brother in law soon departing, along with Simon, himself.

"My dear, whatever happens, a suitable suitor will be found. Just do what you always do. Stun."

Before herself, Nola heard the echoes of the entrance of the previous family. A group of four women wearing the brightest of garments.
May God have mercy on their souls.

"Miss Prudence Featherington, Miss Phillipa Featherington, and Miss Penelope Featherington... all presented by their mother, the Right Honorable Lady Featherington." The group scurried out, hardly squeezing through the door, and most certainly not impressing a single soul present. No bow was low enough, or expression pleasurable enough. Poor Prudence's lack of oxygen did not help a single one of those girls, either.

Next came Daphne Bridgerton, a beautiful girl, presented by her mother, the Dowager Viscountess. The girl was labeled "flawless", and there is no possible argument, especially one issued by the Queen herself.

"Next, we have Lady Nola Addington. Presented by her mother, the Right Honorable Lady Addington." Nola quickly gasped as she felt her mother's final encouraging touch as she moved down the aisle.

"Who is that?" One, but Anthony Bridgerton whispered to his younger brother, Benedict. He truly looked entranced, as he followed her figure down to the Queen.

"Her? Why, she's the Late Duke of Hasting's niece." The niece of a duke? The duke hasting's. Lord Simon Basset, the present Duke being her cousin.

"She's stunning."

Nola arrived before the Queen, a smile smile rest on her delicate lips, as she slowly bowed before her highness, who showed no emotion, but pure joy. "That was lovely, my dear. Your name?"

Nola's eyes widened, not prepared to be addressed by the queen. The whole room, Anthony Bridgerton included, listened with anticipation to hear the young girl speak. "My name is Nola Addington, your Highness."