thirty-nine • oh, lord

•••
"hand in my hand and we promised to never let go."
•••

Grosvenor Square, July 1814

Unlike her husband, Nola was ecstatic for dinner with the Featherington's.

She had always enjoyed young Penelope's presence, thinking she was the sweetest girl in the town, which very well may be true.

Nola hated preparing for dinner parties, but as host, she needed to look her best. "Dear," she stated, catching the attention of her husband, "will you button my cuffs?" A smile grew on the mans face, as he finished putting his boot on. "Please." She laughed, extending her arm to him.

He gladly began to join the buttons, "I haven't seen you this excited in a long while." He stated with a throaty chuckle.

"It is our first dinner party here, Anthony! Alverie can stay within our care without anyone batting on eye." He nodded, agreeing, hating when they had to leave their child with their servants, simply because he loved being in the presence of the little girl. "She's going to be wearing that precious little frock Vi got her from France!" She squealed, as he buttoned the last few bits.

"Glorious."

•••

"What were you favorite pastimes in the country?" Violet asked Marina, who sat across the table from her. Lady Featherington occupying the seat Anthony usually adorned.

"I enjoyed riding above all else, my lady." Marina responded confidently.

"Please, you must call me Violet now." She interjected the young lady. The dowager Viscountess never liked formalities.

"Miss Thompson is such a proper young lady," Anthony scoffed, receiving a smack to his arm from Nola. "Is she not?"

"I do not care how angry you may be at your brother," Nola whispered in her husbands ear, "but do not insult Miss Thompson." He agreed, sipping from his glass.

"Have you traveled at all beyond England, Miss Thompson? It has long been Colin's greatest ambition to travel the world." Violet explained.

"Never." Marina began, fixing her napkin. "Though it is now a great ambition of mine as well." Seeing Anthony roll his eyes, Nola gave him a warning glance.

"I am sensing a honeymoon in foreign parts." Lady Featherington smiled, looking around the table. "What think you, Lord Bridgerton?"

Nola released a nervous sigh, "I would not like to speculate." Anthony blankly responded.

"Yes, indeed." She started again. "I believe a honeymoon in foreign parts would be just the thing. Mr. Bridgerton, you might even make the most of this weather that we've been having. If you choose to marry sooner rather than later,"

"Colin is still very young," Nola let her head drop, as her eyes widened, staring blankly at her lap. "I believe a lengthier engagement would be prudent, excellent weather notwithstanding."