Twenty-One

CORA

I looked up and this time, not breathing felt amazing. Harry was at the top of the staircase, looking down at us all.

He ran down and Hermione let me go at the last second so I could hug him. I pushed all the pain aside, ignoring the fact that my ribs felt twisted and broken and that my knee was probably no longer attached to the other bones. Harry held onto me tightly, his breath hot on my ear as he repeated those beautiful three words.

I pulled away, smashing my lips against his for what was probably the last time. He dove into it, keeping me on my feet and feeding me as much passion as he could muster. He pulled away first this time and gently let me go, leaving me to stand on my own.

I leaned onto my good leg and fixed his collar. "We thought you had gone already."

"I'm on my way there now." He replied. The look in his eyes told me everything. Seeing me didn't change a thing and I was stupid to believe it would.

"Are you mad?" Ron asked angrily from behind me.

Harry gently pushed passed me and started walking down the rest of the steps.

"You can't give yourself up to him." Ron begged.

"What is it Harry? What is it you know?" Hermione asked.

I turned around gently and watched. Harry stopped and faced us, his eyes apologetic but confident.

"There's a reason I can hear them. The Horcruxes. I think I've known for a while and I think you have too." Harry said, looking right at me for the end.

"I'll go with you." Hermione cried.

"No. Kill the snake. Kill the snake and then it's just him." Harry said.

Hermione quickly wrapped her arms around him and I turned away. God bless her heart, but it didn't make this any easier.

Harry looked at Ron over Hermione's shoulder and I knew they were having a moment. He pulled away gently from Hermione and looked up at me. I looked back, feeling his eyes on me, hard.

"You're a good man, Harry Potter." I said. "Hermione's right. You're alright."

He smiled softly. "You're not too bad yourself, Malfoy."

With that, he turned and walked right away from us. Hermione and Ron came back to stand next to me and I clutched their hands.

I would treasure that moment forever. It was small, but it was the first moment Harry seemed to not hate me. It was the beginning of us, even if I didn't know it then.

I loved that man, Harry Potter.