Ch. 5: Take it from the top

"Where are you."

My words pierced the deafening silence. I hadn't touched my newly-repaired computer, or the Nintendo 64 downstairs. In fact, I had dried off and taken a nap, hoping that it was all a dream.

That I wasn't trapped here. Seeing as I was, I'd have to make the most of it.

"I said- answer me! Where. Are. You."

My newly-repaired (or perhaps never broken?) computer screen flicked to life briefly, words typing themselves out across the screen.

It's fixed now. Go play.

It repeated itself like a broken record. I had been putting off playing since I'd first been asked a day ago, but the... creature, whatever it was that had ahold of me- had been giving me the silent treatment.

How childish.

I don't want to play.

I dragged myself over to my computer, replying to it at last.

That's okay.

I squinted. Was it?

It's not like you ever had a choice.

~~~

My ears were ringing as I came to. I wasn't soaking wet this time, so that was a plus-- but I was laying on the lush ground of the forest floor, my heart pounding against the moss.

I felt like vomiting.

Done with the battles he once waged across time, he embarked on a journey. A secret and personal journey...

A journey in search of a beloved and valuable friend.

The words rung through my very consciousness as I became presently aware that I was not alone. It was different from when the creature was around, though- instead of some abstract presence, there was someone- something? Right next to me. I just had to open my eyes, or...

or listen.

"No way! You can't touch it!!"

"... Aw, but sis... W... Why can't I try it out, too?"

There was no way. All of this was too familiar, but my head was fuzzy. My mind was racing. This had to be a dream, if nothing else was. I slowly pushed myself off the ground, eyeing the imp that was messing with the blue ocarina.

Just like he had days before.

The fairies by his sides- the ones that had been arguing before, I knew- chimed, alerting him. He turned around and yelped, hiding the instrument behind his back.

I reached out to grab him on impulse, but he evaded me and mounted my...

My horse? I had a horse?

Right. Dream.

I darted forward, almost breathless- and still winded from whatever had knocked me out earlier- grabbing onto his foot and trying to drag him off...

Epona. Off Epona.

It didn't take me long to be kicked off, though, and he rode further into the forest as I rolled through the harsh nettles coating the forest floor, my side coated in a thin layer of mud.

Being alone, though, gave me a moment to think.

I'd already done this before. This was the start of that game that the creature was so adamant I play. The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask.

Realizing that made me doubtful that I'd come up with this on my own. Had it found a way to infiltrate my dreams? I curled up, trying to gain my bearings again as I ran my fingers through my hair, my eyes flicking down to my... tunic.