Chapter 9: Lie

POV: Mattholomule

I watched from my locker as Gus passed by with Willow. I decided today was the day I would try to make up with him. I feel so bad for trying to take the club away from him. I took a deep breath before walking behind them. They didn't notice me, so I tapped Gus' shoulder.

"What's u-" He turned around smiling before his smile faded into a frown, "Oh... what do you want?" His harsh tone made me flinch.

"Listen. I- I um... I know I haven't been the nicest..." I stuttered, looking at the ground.

"You think?" Willow laughed a little.

"I um... anyway so... Gus I was wondering if you could-" I jumped when I heard the bell ring.

"Sorry Matt, but we have to go." Willow frowned before leaving. Gus lingered for a second before catching up with her. I stood there watching them leave. Before I knew it the hallways were empty. I walked over to my locker and started to bang my head against it.

"Why am I so stupid." After banging my head a few times I rested it there. I obviously need a new plan to try and get on better terms with him. I flipped around and sat on the floor, leaning my back against the locker. I closed my eyes and tried to think.

Nothing.

No plan came to mind.

Stupid.

I groaned as I turned my head to my right, noticing Willow's locker was wide open. I looked around, the wheels in my head slowly turning. Crawling over to her locker, a light bulb went off. Maybe I can find something in Willow's diary that says something about Gus. Maybe there is something that I can do for Gus to get him to listen to me! Like a gift or something.

Surprisingly her diary was not well hidden, so I just grabbed it and slipped it into my locker. I have to get to class, but as soon as I'm done with it, I can look through.

***

As soon as the bell rang I dashed to my locker. I pushed a few kids out of the way getting an occasional death threat or middle finger along the way, but I didn't flinch. Nothing I haven't heard before.

I managed to make it to my locker before Willow got to her's which meant I had to grab the diary and run. So I did just that.

I start to wonder if what I'm doing is right as I sit on the bleachers.

It's the only way.

I try to say to myself, but it still feels wrong. I took a deep breath before opening the diary. I flipped though at first, a slight breeze hitting my face. I noticed not many pages were filled in. I couldn't tell if this was a good thing or a bad thing.

On one hand I'll only have to look at a couple of pages making it less likely to get caught.

On the other hand, the info is fairly recent and since there isn't much, it's possible I won't find anything.

But I have to try.

Dear Diary,

One of my dads told me to start writing in a journal since the plants I grow tend to grow out of hand when I'm upset. I've had a lot to be upset about lately. Rightfully so. Two weeks ago, Luz and Amity had this HUGE fight... yes, Amity Blight... the one who only interacts with "a select few". Anyway, I found it as a perfect opportunity to start to make a move on Luz... after things died down of course. But as soon as Amity came back, they made up. Somehow they even became closer then before??? Hopefully this doesn't go on forever, cause I really like Luz, and Amity feels the same I do towards Luz as well. She even confessed which is what caused the fight. I'll make sure to write more soon,

Sincerely,
             Willow

I groaned as I realized how bad of an idea this was. Now I know more of what I don't need to know then what I do. There wasn't even anything about Gus! I started to just skim through. A few key words being Boscha, secret, bitch, and Luz. But no Gus. Nothing about Gus. Of course not... I threw the book down on the floor in frustration. I put my face in my hands for a second before looking back at the journal noticing a small piece of paper coming out of it. I looked around again to make sure no one was around and picked it up.

Dear piece of paper,

I didn't want to put this as an entry in my diary in case someone wanted to look through it, but I need to talk about this. I feel so horrible about keeping this secret from Amity... well it's not really a secret per say, more of a lie. Let me start from the beginning.

Ever since Grom, I was really jealous of Amity. It took me awhile to realize why, but now I know. It's because I like Luz... I love Luz. A while ago, Amity was crying in the school bathroom because Luz rejected her and I felt horrible. But something in the back of my brain told me it was my chance to make her jealous, to maybe even get her away from Luz so I could step in. And it worked for a while! Amity started being extremely rude to Luz and then disappeared for two weeks. This gave us a lot of time for Luz and I to start to hang out more, but she's been really worried about Luz the whole time. When Amity returned, everything went back to how it was before.

I flipped over the paper to see a little bit more writing on the back.

I still have to try. Even if she may leave soon I have to try...

Finally to get it off my chest, I need to write it somewhere... I need to say that I told Amity, Luz and I were dating... but we aren't. Never were. I feel so bad about it, but she hurt me, she needed to hurt herself... I feel horrible.

I gasped slightly and glanced at the time. Only a few minutes until the bus left, but Amity needed to know the truth. I quickly grabbed Willow's diary and the note and slid it in my boot. Thankfully the journal wasn't too big so it was only slightly uncomfortable.

I was about to turn around to leave when I bumped into Willow. She was glaring at me with her arms crossed. My stomach dropped when I noticed Gus was behind her. But that didn't matter now. Gus may hate me forever but Amity can't continue thinking the love of her life is dating someone else.

Amity needs to confess.

For the people who can't.

"What do you think you're doing?" Willow asked me.

"I- um... sorry I have to go." I stuttered before running from the two.

"Hey, you have my diary!" Willow yelled as she started to chase me into the school. I couldn't help but notice Gus stayed back. I turned forward again to see Principal Bump, he was probably looking for me. I quickly ran to the right hallway to get away, and there stood the side door. I was almost to the door, when I heard Willow yelp in pain, I stopped and looked back, seeing she was standing up and limping slightly. It's only a matter of time before she makes it to the door and starts using plant magic, so I ran outside. Once I got far enough away from the school, I grabbed the diary and stuck the note inside while I caught my breath.

Willow will be following close behind and if she knows Amity is gonna be at the Owl Shack, I'll be dead.

————————————————————
A/N: Okay I know mattress literally sucks but for the next chapter to make sense, I needed to make this one in his POV. And I'm sorry for shipping Gustholomule it's literally a habit that I hate. Anyway, thanks again for reading!