Chapter 5: Plans

POV: Amity

"Would you please follow me?" His voice sent shivers down my spine.

"Of course, Emperor Belos." I kept my head down as we walked. I could feel people staring at me. When I had finally looked up we were in a room with a giant circle. A golden eye close to the center.

"Do you know what this is?" He finally looked back at me, then at the circle.

"I'm afraid not... but the eye in the middle looks awfully familiar."

"Remember that Owl Lady's suitcase that that wretched human destroyed..." he paused, seeming like he was trying to calm him self down a little, "We just built a better portal."

"Oh..." I stared at the portal. What's the point of going to the human world anyway?

"Your parents said that you were promising, so let's see if they were right."

"What do you mean?" My stomach sunk lower, knowing the Owl Lady may be apart of this.

"You will have a very special job. You will be leading Luz through the por-"

"Why would I do that?" I interrupted him accidentally. I just wanted him to rip the band aid off, "Sorry."

"It's quite alright. I'm happy to know you are... okay with this. Knowing that she is in your class?" He turned to me.

"Um... yeah. I don't talk to her much though." I laughed nervously.

"Interesting. Then it wouldn't be a problem killing her then." He looked back at the portal, calm. I could feel my heart stop, and then quickly speed up.

"Wh- what? Why would I do that?" I stammered.

"The titan thinks she's a danger to our society. Letting her stay here would be a problem, but having her go back to the human realm would mean humans may try to find us, meaning more people like her. We also can't kill her in the boiling isles since the body could easily be found, you must kill her soon after you two enter the portal. This is a top secret mission only a few people know about."

"I understand." I looked down, eyes wide.

"What's the matter? I thought you didn't know her."

"I don't it's just... I never killed someone before." I continued to stare down.

"I see... I'm sure you'll be able to figure it out from all that training your parents gave you."

"Of course. Thank you for this mission." I looked back at him. He did the same to me. I wanted to hurt him, like he wants me to do to Luz, but I can't.

"You can take the rest of the day off. I encourage you to come up with a plan since the portal will open in two days, which is when you will be doing this."

"Thank you for this opportunity."

"And if you choose to not complete this task." He turned away from me, "You will suffer the fate Edalyn was going to face, and your family will lose everything." Then he walked away, leaving me speechless.

As much as I hate the idea, I know what I have to do.

I have no choice.

I need to tell Luz that I'm apart of the emperors coven. I need to tell her everything. We need to come up with a plan to save her.

***

"LUZ!" I screamed as I got closer to her house, running as fast as I could. She was outside with Eda and Lilith practicing some glyph magic with plants.