Part 2

I opened the front door since no one's home.
It's a girl. The fact that I'm about a girl knocking on my door shows how much I need a friend.

"Hello" I say.
"Hi! I'm Riley! I'm your new neighbor. We just moved in today and want to get to know some people."
"Oh that's cool. I'm Derek. Are you going to Arcadia High School?"
"Yeah. I hear they're really racists here though. My parents didn't really do research. They're super liberal. Liberals raise liberals I guess."
"That's true. Come in!"

She comes in. I take her jacket and serve her some lemonade my mom made earlier.

"Your house is beautiful, Derek! What do your parents do?"

"My dad's a neurosurgeon and my mom is a nurse."

"At the same hospital?"

"Yeah, Grey's Anatomy type of stuff."

That made her laugh. Her laugh was unlike any I've ever heard. It was soft and loud at the same time. It gave you that safe feeling. Where you feel comfortable around that person no matter what you do.

"So how old are you?" I ask.

"I'm 15. You?"

"Same."

She starts asking questions about the town. I tell her about their Republican views and their conservative ways. I show her around, although there isn't much to show. I take her to the coffee shop around the corner, the clothing store for old people, the clothing store for the younger crowd, the grocery store, the gas station, the clinic, and the place I go every weekend night to escape from this town. I drive her there since it's just outside of town. It was a park. There were sunflowers and gardenias and roses and tulips. The lake was there. Sometimes I take a dip in the lake when I feel extra stressed.

"Wow Derek. This is beautiful. I know you said it's your place but it's our place now. You have to share."

"You can come here anytime you'd like. I usually come during the weekend late at night."

"Your parents let you do that?"

"They're scientists. They know what's best for a stressed teenage boy. But no, they don't. They always think I'll end up dead. But now I have you as a witness of my death, hopeful not the actual murderer."

"I'd never kill you. It's getting late. Maybe we should head back home."

"We could. Or we could go to the movie theatre."

"You wouldn't."

"I would."

I drive her to the movie theatre. They're showing the Notebook for their anniversary.

I get in line for tickets and I give Riley some cash for snacks and drinks. She comes back with bags full of candy.

"Hungry?"

"I didn't know what you liked."

"It's okay. Want to wait in line with me?"

"Sure."

There are three people ahead of us now. So close. The line was long last time a looked up from my phone.

Now it's our turn.

"Hello! How many tickets?"

"Just 2 please."

"Alright that'll be $20"

"I got this, Derek. I spent all $30 you gave me for snacks."

"It's alright."

"Are you sure? I feel bad."

"It's okay. I promise."

I pay for the ticket. We get to our seat and wait for the movie to start. Halfway through the movie Riley falls asleep. She laid her head on my shoulder. I could smell her dark brown hair. She smelled like flowers. It was a sweet scent. I think right there in that moment I had found someone I really liked.

The movie ended and Riley woke up. We drove home and went to bed. I'd give anything to have another night like this. I didn't even give her my number.