11 | ﴾ Bequeathment Mark ﴿

On Monday Draco indeed was missing from all classes and around the school. Rumors flew around like spores in the air, mainly sticking to the Slytherin house. I had garnered a few nasty looks from envious females including Pansy who on more than one occasion attempted to physically trip me and make it look like an accident.

My neck pain was getting progressively worse and I worried I would struggle during the Quidditch game that Thursday. If it kept up I would have no choice but to visit Madam Pomfrey. I continued to study English and my school topics between the bookstacks, and to my surprise no texts lunged at my head the entire week. I noted that perhaps the issue was occurring too frequently and Pince had likely fixed it.

It was Wednesday when I finally saw my out of house friends again. I met Hermione and Harry at Hagrid's Hut as they had invited me in the hallway. The day was dark and overcast, coming to a close, and my dainty boots crunched lightly on the snowy pathway through the glum winter landscape. Harry and Hermione stood outside where the pumpkin patch had been in the fall.

"Oh, brilliant," Harry said as I stopped to huddle in close to them, "You made it. Hagrid said he'd be out in a second. He has something neat to show us." He was taking in my petty coat and expensive gloves with interest. I stared back at him with a soft smile.

"How funny it is that you two will be against each other in tomorrow's game," Hermione chirped in awkwardly, darting her eyes between us.

"What a world we live in. We are good sports about et, eh?" I looked at him positively and he nodded, his shoulders were bent high as he shivered against the cool breeze.

"She's better than I am it's not bloody fair," He wheezed at Hermione through chattering teeth. Hermione laughed.

She slung her shoulder bag from one shoulder to the other, "Well, it's about time women were recognized properly at this school for their physical capabilities in the sporting community. I for one am proud, despite our house differences." I considered for a second that she was thoroughly enjoying it, as if living vicariously through me.

"Well now what'r use on about then?" A grumbly deep voice floated over from the hut doorway. A loud dog bark erupted from behind Hagrid, "Fang you silly theng, you hush now. Go on." He gestured forwards at the doorway and a black dog bounded out of the structure to ceremoniously cover Harry's hand with goo while Hagrid shut and locked the door.

Harry winced and wiped the slobber onto his jeans as Hagrid approached. He was wearing what appeared to be several layers of unrecognizable furs and his black wiry beard hung down to his lower navel. The broad man stood at least ten feet tall and I shrank back involuntarily a step as he approached.

"Oh boy whatdowe 'ave here! Another Beauxbatons come to visit for thee 'oliday?" He beamed at me, "I 'ave a special place in me 'eart for that 'eadmistress of youres." He nodded his head and raised his eyebrows with a sweet smile on his round face.

"Madeleine actually transferred here last year, Hagrid," Hermione's high-pitched voice corrected him, "She's a Slytherin, although, you wouldn't think it from her, er, dress choice. It's still quite...remnant of her previous school." I had a feeling she meant to elude instead to my personality that made me an odd Slytherin. I glanced down at my tight lavender coat and periwinkle gloves in agreeance regardless.

"Right well, welcome then. Shall we be off?" Hagrid beamed, "Got a real treat for use today."

He lumbered slowly, a lantern hanging from his thick fingers as we moved quietly down the hill alongside the outskirts of the Forbidden Forest. I tried to ignore the pungent aroma of dog, and something else I couldn't place that was drifting off of him every movement he made. Harry walked closely to me while Hermione found herself on the other side of Hagrid from us.