Chapter 4 - Analyzing

I laid on my side and stared at the wall in front of me. The events of yesterday played in my head, mostly of when I protected Ink from the female. It was also the first time I had weapons of my own. The image of the drawing on the wall came to my thoughts. There was a room labeled as "Healing Ward". Is that where Ink's purpose is?

The sound of the door opening attracted my attention. The leader of the scientists walked in, holding a thin black rectangle in his hand. He pulled a chair to my bed as he told me to sit up. Once I listened to his command, he opened the black rectangle. Inside were several small syringes of different colors. I instantly recognized one of them as the Athenal Oxide. He took out a green one and motioned for my arm. Without resisting, he injected the liquid into me. I found that looking away made it less painful.

Waiting for a few minutes, he eventually started writing something. One after another, he injected everything except the red chemical.

Me: What did you do?

???: I'm testing to see what affects you and what doesn't. Seems you aren't affected by any of them, which is good.

Me: Why is that?

???: All of these chemicals are used in the enemy territory. We can't have our weapon getting injured by some form of acid now, can we?

He wrote one last thing before taking the black rectangle and leaving the room. I stared at the small hole that was in my arm, the same hole that the syringes created. I leaned backwards onto the bed and stared at the ceiling. This is what I do when I was by myself. I would play through the memories that I've collected over years, just watching while making mental notes out of my mental notes.

When I was in the middle of my thinking, I heard a loud noise before small pats could be heard. It sounded like it was hitting the top of the ceiling. The small pats didn't bother me but the occasional loud noises is what made me alert. All of a sudden, everything went dark and I saw people start walking quickly past the clear wall. I saw Ink run by which made me concerned. This was different, I needed to know if he was okay.

Going towards the door, I remembered the gas that was waiting to paralyze me. However, that didn't stop me. I pushed my limit by slowly getting closer to the handle. I was surprised that it didn't activate when I touched the door. Whatever was keeping it active, was deactivated. The door was also unlocked.

I opened the door and ran after Ink. The screams of people could be heard as they saw me run after him. They yelled for the guards to stop me. I heard the sounds of their guns the further I ran. There was no reason for me to attack them since I was trying to do something else.

After a few turns in the elongated rooms, I followed Ink to a door. When I opened it, I saw something I've never seen before. Tall green things that moved, the ground was a dark shade of green and surroundings were grey with flashes of light. The noise was louder out here. Something was falling from the grey ceiling, It wasn't hurting me but it was making my clothes feel heavier.

I shook my head, I needed to follow Ink. I had to make sure he was okay. Me getting distracted allowed him to get away from me. As I ran further away from whatever I came out of, I heard the scientist's voice.

???: All units, the weapon has escaped. I repeat, the weapon has escaped. Bring him back alive.

Ignoring the guns sounds and the yells, I chased after the one that fascinated me. The clear liquid that fell on me made it harder to see and made the ground softer.

  My feet suddenly made contact with a hard, more stable surface. Using this to my advantage, I started running faster. This helped greatly in gaining ground. I learned that I was a fast runner.

I was so focused on chasing Ink that I didn't notice that we were in a place full of color and lights. Tall structures with several clear walls. Hundreds of people walked by, not knowing that I was a weapon. They didn't scream, let alone look at me. My mind was overwhelmed by all of the things that I saw.

I was getting distracted again. I followed Ink to a smaller structure. Before I could reach him, he walked through a door. When I got there, I tried to open it but realized that it was locked. Stepping back, I saw Ink get into something. He pressed a button and then whatever he was in started lifting him to higher part of the structure. Exhaling a breath, I walked around the structure, looking at the clear walls. That's when I spotted Ink in one of them.

There was some sort of platform in front of the clear wall. I could use that to get to him. Walking backwards, I analyzed the wall carefully. Finally, I came up with a plan. Putting it into action, I ran up the wall and grabbed the platform before I fell back down.

When I pulled myself up, I looked through the clear wall. Ink was walking around the room and talking to... someone. I stared at him until he noticed me. He let out a small scream before speaking to that unknown person.

Ink: I'll call you back, Jess.

He opened the clear wall and stared at me with an unknown expression.

Ink: Error? What are you doing here?

Me: I came to interact with you.

Ink: How are you here? How did you even get out of your room without being knocked out by the Athenal Oxide?

Me: It didn't activate.

Ink: Oh, that's right. The Contra building lost power. How did I forget that so quickly? How did you find me?

Me: I followed you.

Ink: Why?

Me: I wanted to make sure you were okay.

Multiple colors appeared on his face. I didn't understand what that meant. Ink pulled me into his room and went over to a big box. He pulled out some clothes and handed me a red shirt that was way too big for him. It was heavier than the one I wore.

Ink: Wear this turtleneck. You might get a cold, wearing wet clothes from the rain.

Me: Why do you have a shirt that is too big for you?

Ink: I like wearing big clothes because it's comfortable. It's a size too large for me but it should fit you perfectly.

I started pulling off my shirt but Ink stopped me. The colors on his cheeks were back.

Ink: Don't do that in front of me. Do that in the bathroom.

Me: Bath... room?

He exhaled a breath before pointing towards a room. He pushed me into it and closed the door behind me. Looking around, my eyes stopped when I saw a person looking at me. I backed away from them when I realized that they copied my movements. Looking at my hand, I watched the person moves theirs. My mind clicked. It was me.

My body was black and I had strange blue lines running from my eyes. My neck and chest were a dark shade of red. I looked completely different from Ink.

After I slipped the red shirt over my torso, which was called a "turtleneck", I opened the door. Ink was sitting on the bed while drawing on his sketchbook. When he looked up at me, the colors on his cheeks appeared again. Seeing it made me feel weird inside. Strangely, I wanted to see it again because...

I liked it

A Quick Discussion

Yay, Error finally got his iconic red turtleneck.