17. And Does Drama Always Have To Be On That Date With Us Also?

Chapter 17

And Does Drama Always Have To Be On That Date With Us Also?

Panic rose in my chest as I waited for something to happen.  Maybe the door would burst open and Max would come tumbling out, a shop owner right behind him yelling in Hindi for him to get out, that he was the wrong person.  He would be alright, not a scratch on him.  And more importantly, Vince’s men wouldn’t have hurt him.

Only that didn’t happen like I’d hoped it would.  So instead, I resulted to pounding on the door, screaming so that someone would hear my pleas. 

And someone did, just not the shop owner of the door that I was pounding my fist against. 

“You, girl.  Come,” a woman’s voice said from beside me.  When I turned around, it was the same woman from the restaurant we’d eaten at earlier. 

I could tell that she thought that it was urgent for me to come back into her restaurant, though it wasn’t going to get Max back to me.  But I knew that I shouldn’t have been screaming and pounding on a shop’s back door when Vince Peters and his men were after us. 

Me.  They were now after me because they’d already gotten Max. 

“You come quick,” she repeated. 

I nodded as I looked back at the door Max was pulled through.  My mind was pulling me in two different directions.  Stay and try to open that door, or follow this woman who was offering me something that I wasn’t sure of?

Against my better judgment, I went with the latter. 

Hurriedly, she guided me though the back door and through the little kitchen, back into the office that was small and only held a small desk.  She brought me over and sat me down in the chair behind the desk. 

“You sit here,” she said.  Her English was better than she’d been leading on earlier that night, but maybe she had her reasons.

She was gone the next moment and back the next with some type of steaming drink in a small cup.  It smelled a little strange when she handed it to me and I lifted it to my nose. 

“Drink.  Calm your nerves,” she said, urging me with her hands. 

I nodded, though I was a little hesitant to take the first sip.  But when I finally did, the warmth spread through me as the warm tea went down my throat. 

“Good?” she asked, raising her eyebrows.

I nodded, setting the cup down in front of me.  “Yes, it’s good, but I really need to find my boyfriend.  They…”

“They take him I bet, that man,” she finished for me.  “Seem like the people.”

I nodded and was about to speak, but she cut me off.

“They follow you a while, watch you while you here.  I watch them,” she said.  “Don’t know about them.  That shop your boy pulled into.  Not good shop.  Not good at all.”

“What do you mean?”

“Bad people.  Do bad things.  Don’t know where your boy end up.”

That was just lovely.  Max could be anywhere and I was sitting here, drinking tea with an old lady in the back of her restaurant. 

“I keep you here for few more minutes.  You safe then.”

“Yeah, I’m safe, but he’s not.”