History of witchcraft

History of Wicca

Wicca- a religion of empowerment and about taking control of your life and future. Finding balance between things. Believe in reincarnation and karma.

Wiccan- someone that believes that spirit abides in all things, words, and that names hold power. Believe that all lives are sacred. Nature based, peaceful-loving group.

Deities:

The goddess (the Triple Goddess) birthed the universe including the god (Horned God) that is her consort. Everything is connected to her. We are the universe and the universe is inside us.

Triple goddess- moon, earth, and childbirth

Horned god- nature, wilderness, sexuality, and hunting

Wicca = magick wicca ≠ magic

Wicca has no devil/Satan and no demons

Follow the law that decrees 'harm none', karma, and anything you give comes back

10 commandments

1. Don't judge others lifestyles or spiritual path

2. Cause harm to none

3. Don't manipulate a personas free will through magick

4. Don't be greedy and tip the balance of nature

5. Don't magically go against nature

6. Don't mess with the spirit world w/o proper knowledge

7. Don't self-harm or self-doubt

8. Don't use a curse or hex on someone under serving

9. Protect the earth and those weaker than you

10. What you give out comes back to you

History of witch-hunts and Salem witch trials

America:

1692-1693

A group of young girls claimed to be possessed by the devil and accused local women of witchcraft. The people used the "devils kiss" or "devils mark" (a birthmark) to identify witches. They would also torture accused women to get information on who the other witches are/could be. Sometimes their own husbands accused them.

Europe:

1450-1750

King James I lost his wife, Anne of Denmark, in a storm which killed her while she was traveling to him. He was convinced that it was due to witchcraft and suspected 70 people of creating the storm.

King James VI and I are the king of England and Scotland.

Torture methods used:

- Cilice

- Cutting

- Dunking

- Heretic's fork

- Iron maiden

- Pear of anguish

- Pressing

- Sleep deprivation

- Witch's bridle

Execution methods used:

- Burning

- Handing

- Peine forte et dure

Gerald Gardner

Born in June 13, 1884

Died in February 12, 1964

Gerald Brosseau Gardner, also known by the craft name Scire, was an English Wiccan, as well as an author and an amateur anthropologist and archaeologist

Gerald formulated the Wicca calendar of eight festivals, bringing together existing festivals from different traditions.

By the time of his death in 1963, Gardnerian Wicca had spread to the United States and beyond. Estimates of the number of Wiccans worldwide ranged from 100,000 to 800,000.

Alexandrian Wicca

Founded by Alex Sanders and Maxine Sanders

Established in the UK in the 1960s

Alexandrian wicca or Alexandrian witchcraft is a tradition of the neopagan religion of wicca.

Alexandrian wicca is similar to Gardnerian wicca but Alexandrian wicca deals with tool uses and deity and elemental names.

Alexandrian Wicca shares with other traditional Wicca systems the belief that "only a witch can make another witch". The process through which an individual is made a witch is called "". As in , there are three levels, or "degrees", of initiation, commonly referred to as "first", "second", and "third" degree. Only a second or third degree witch can initiate another into witchcraft, and only a third degree witch can initiate another to third degree. A third degree initiate is referred to as a "High Priestess" or "High Priest".

baby witches, please note that you don't have to be wiccan or pagan to be a witch or practice witchcraft. you dont have to be wiccan to believe in the triple goddess/horned god. you dont have to be wiccan to be a pagan. you dont have to be pagan to be a wiccan. this is your journey through your practice, do it however you want and practice whatever you want as long as theyre not from closed practices like hoodoo or voodoo.