f o r t y e i g h t

Elina sat still

Elina sat still. Her shackled hands were placed on her lap, the chains bunched up in front of her knees. The growing night lay in complete silence until it was broken by a chuckle.

"Touching, wasn't it?" Eric Dragna said. "I don't prefer tragedies but this story never fails to prove me wrong."

A tear slid down her cheek. Elina's eyes lay fixed on the ground. Tears fell freely making the spot by her hands damp. Her heart was heavy with sorrow. And guilt. All this bloodshed just for her blood. Her position on the hierarchy. She would have gladly given it all up if she could see her mother's smile or feel her father's hug or give Aiden the chance to feel the love of a parent, even just for a moment.

"Sweetest, are you crying? Eric gasped. "Did the story of mommy and daddy make you sad?" She heard his footsteps near her.

A comforting feeling, something like a warm hug, wrapped around her like a shield. The bond mark on her neck sparked to life, spreading warmth through her body. Aiden had his eyes fixed on his bonded. He wanted to reach out and comfort her. He could feel her sadness clog his heart.

You still have me, Rora

Elina felt slightly startled by his gentle voice in her head. Their mind link had been shifty and neither of them knew how to make it work consistently, so never bothered to try it. The times they had done it before was purely by fluke and almost always worked when either of them were in danger. Hailey had told her that mindlinks between bonded worked best when the bond was strong enough to form a connection. But she wasn't sure how to create one either given that she had no experience.

Aiden glanced at the guard who stood by him to see if he was paying attention. And then concentrated his magic energy core around the shackles on his wrists. He was going to break out of them no matter what. Ice gripped his senses as his eyes glowed brighter.

Eric crouched before Elina. He tsked at her wet cheeks and proceeded to look for something in his coat pockets. He produced a neatly folded handkerchief from one of the pockets and reached his hand to her face. Elina's eyes glowed, brimming with fury.