9

•CHAPTER NINE•

Diana watched Miraz carefully as his general helped him slip on his armor

Diana watched Miraz carefully as his general helped him slip on his armor. Peter was already armed and ready.

Susan and Lucy had just left, exiting out a back entrance of the Howe and racing into the woods before anyone could see them leave. At least, Diana hoped no one saw them leave.

"I'm ready." Peter whispered.

"Be careful." Diana whispered in response. He nodded at her before unsheathing his sword. Miraz said something to his general and the general nodded after a moment, saying something in return before looking back over at Peter.

Diana noticed that Miraz's armour was golden, not silver like his soldiers. It made him stand out and Diana thought about how risky that would be if he was being targeted in battle.

Miraz pulled a gold mask down over his face and placed a helmet on his head before striding forward, sword at the ready.

Peter met him halfway between us and pulled down his own mask.

"There is still time to surrender." Miraz spoke calmly to Peter.

"Well, feel free." Peter said in response and Diana smirked.

"How many more must die for the throne?"

"Only one."

And with Peter's words, the fight began.

Peter ran at Miraz, leaping off a chunk of stone and flying into the air. His sword came down on Miraz's shield, causing the sound of scraping metal to echo into the air. Miraz pulled his shield back and used it to bask Peter in the head.

Smart. Diana couldn't help but thinking it. She was a warrior through and through and would always be learning from those around her.

Meanwhile, Susan and Lucy rode the back of Caspian's horse, racing through the woods as fast as they could. An echo of a yell sounded from behind them and Lucy looked up to see a line of soldiers chasing them.

"They've seen us!" She warned Susan, gripping tighter to the armor on her older sister's back. Susan glanced over her shoulder and urged the horse to go faster.

Then, Susan pulled the horse to a stop and jumped off, leaving Lucy still in the saddle.

"What are you doing?" Lucy exclaimed watching the men gallop closer.

"Take the reins." Susan ordered. Lucy grabbed them. "I'm sorry, Lucy, but it looks like you'll be going alone after all." Susan slapped the back end of the horse and it sped off with Lucy on it's back. Susan drew and arrow and notched it, ready to let it fly as soon as a soldier came into view.

And when the men rounded the bend, Susan let her first arrow fly. It found purchase in the neck of the first man and he collapsed from the horse, hitting the earth, already dead. Susan quickly grasped her second arrow and let if fly, knocking out another threat. And then another, and another.