7

•CHAPTER 7•

That night, Edmund walked into Diana's room to see her running a wooden brush through her hair

That night, Edmund walked into Diana's room to see her running a wooden brush through her hair. She winced as the brush got caught on a knot. He chuckled and she jumped, not knowing he was there.

Her small room consisted of the mirror from her room at Cair Paravel, a sleeping cot, a trunk full of armour, her weapons trunk, and her clothing trunk. On a small table next to her cot, she had a candle and a few books. The candle was lit, letting a dim light fill the room.

"Here, let me." He said gently. She rolled her eyes, but a smile was on her face as she pulled her hair off her brush and handed it to him. He sat down behind her on the cot and took a few strands of her hair in his hands.

They used to do this all the time, back before the Pevensie's disappeared. He would brush the knots out of her hair as they sat on their bed in their chambers at the palace. They spent hours like that, just sitting there with Edmund running his hands through her hair. It always calmed her down when she was stressed or nervous or upset.

"You know, you don't look a day over seventeen."

Diana laughed and leaned against Edmund's chest. "I've been trying to figure out if we're still the same age or if I'm one thousand years older than you."

He barked out a laugh and groaned. "For my sake, let's say we're the same age."

"Time is so fickle."

"Did you just say fickle?"

"Yes?"

"Don't ever say that again."

"Why are you being fickle?"

"Diana!" Edmund complained. Diana laughed and turned to look at him. She just studied him. He still had his strong jaw and his dark hair, though it wasn't as long as it was when she last saw him. He still had the same eyes and the freckles that she loved so much.

"Why are you looking at me like that?" Edmund asked, nerves creeping up his throat.

"Like what?"

"Like you want to see me naked."

She smacked his chest and he grinned. "I was just admiring the view."

Edmund smirked, but it slowly disappeared as his eyes flickered down to her lips. She wanted to pull away, because she knew that he wouldn't be able to stay and her heart would break all over again.

She hadn't been with anyone else in the last thousand years. She had thought of him everyday and knowing that he would leave again, it was tortue.

"I can't do this." She whispered.

He frowned. "Why?"

"Because you're going to leave again." Her voice was so quiet that Edmund had to lean closer to her. He lifted her chin gently so that she was forced to look up at him. And when he kissed her, she melted against him.

His lips were soft against hers and everything felt right again, despite being in the middle of a war. She let him pull her closer, deepening the kiss before breaking it. "Let's just make the most of it." He whispered, resting his forehead against hers.

She nodded. "Okay." And when they kissed again, she felt alive again. It was more urgent. They were making up for all the lost time.

When she pulled away again, hot and flustered, Edmund's shirt had been removed and her skirt was bunched up around her thighs.

"If we don't stop we're going to regret it in the morning." She whispered and he laughed.

"I don't know." He shrugged, moving in to kiss her again. She laughed and leaned away from him. He pouted.

"Peter's room is right next to mine." She whispered.

Edmund groaned, lying back on her cot. "Well, at least let me stay in here tonight." He opened his arms, beckoning her come cuddle.

"I have to change."

"Oo, let me watch." He said with boyish excitement.

"Edmund." She groaned. "Just turn around and let me slip into my sleep shirt.

He groaned but flipped around to face the wall mumbling: "It's nothing I haven't seen before." She made sure he wasn't looking before reaching around to undo the laces on the back of her dress and slipping it off her shoulders, letting it fall to the floor before grabbing her sleep shirt from her trunk and slipping it on over her head.

The shirt was old, really old. She'd had it forever. She was still surprised it hadn't fallen apart yet. The magic of Narnia would always continue to stump her.

"You can look now." She said, watching as he turned back around. His eyes looked her over and he sat up.

"Is that my shirt?" He asked, smiling.

It was too big on her because he had broader shoulders and was a few inches taller than she was. Yeah, the shirt was really old.

"Yes." She said and he smiled. "It doesn't smell like you anymore."

"I wouldn't think so." He mused, opening his arms again. She laughed and climbed onto the cot next to him, laying her head on his bare chest. She traced her fingers along the muscles on his abdomen and he shivered.

"Don't do that." He squirmed beneath her.

"Why not?"

"It tickles." He grumbled and she laughed again. He smiled, loving how her laughter sounded like twinkling lights and bells. "Blow the candle out, will you?"

She twisted around and extinguished the candle before turning back to him. He pressed a kiss to her forehead and she smiled.

"Goodnight." She whispered into the darkness.

"Goodnight." He grumbled, his chest vibrating.

When Diana shut her eyes, she felt happier than she had in a thousand years. And for the first time in years, sleep called to her. She finally felt safe. She finally felt secure. And in Edmund's arms, she slipped into a deep sleep. 

A/N: This chapter was a little bit shorter than what I usually write but it made me really happy. I was going to expand it a bit more but I didn't want it to feel like there was a bunch of unnecessary fluff or details or such. So here's some Diana and Edmund fluff that makes my heart happy.