3 - Typical Story

I thought that Wilbur would win. When I sat in that audience on the day of the election, the last thing I expected to happen was for Schlatt to become the president of L'manberg and exile Tommy and Wilbur.

  I remember watching them run into the woods to avoid the swords of their former friends. I remember having to hold Tubbo back from running after them to make sure that he didn't meet the same fate. He was shaking when I told him to try and take a breath.

  I had looked over to find Dream looking at me. He didn't know what to do or say. He was never good with emotions.

  Now I was facing the day of the festival with Dream at my side. I noticed Tubbo across the way and excused myself from my conversation with Sapnap and Dream to say hello.

  I went over to find him struggling with his tie. "Hey, Tubbo!" I caught his attention.

  He looked up and smiled. "Val!"

  I pointed to his struggle with his tie. "Want help?"

  "Uh-" He looked down at his tie in embarrassment. "Maybe."

  I chuckled. "I can do it." I took the tie from his hands and tied it around his neck. "You have your speech today, right?"

  He nodded at me. "I'm kinda nervous."

  I shook my head and let go of his fixed tie. "Don't be. You'll do great."

  He smiled at me but it dropped a bit when he looked behind me.

  I raised an eyebrow at him before turning around to see Dream a bit closer than he previously was, looking at us. I smiled and waved at him. He slightly waved back and I giggled and turned back around to face Tubbo.

  "I think Schlatt wants to see me." Tubbo excused himself from our conversation and started walking towards where Schlatt and Quackity were talking. "Thanks for fixing my tie."

  I nodded. "Yeah, of course. I can't wait to hear your speech." I walked back over to Dream. I took his hand and frowned a bit. "You scared him."

  He shrugged. "I wasn't trying to." He sounded a bit guilty.

  "I know you weren't." I reassured.

-=-

  I stood back away from the seats that the guests and citizens of Manberg were sitting in. I was only here for Tubbo and they knew that. Dream and Sapnap had left back to the Dream SMP, leaving me alone. They wanted no part in the current business of Manberg.

  I also had no interest in Schlatt's attempts to increase nationalism, but I promised Tubbo that I'd be here for him. I surveyed the crowd and took notice of who was there, both friends and enemies alike.

  Tubbo took the mic and my attention went to the stage. "Good afternoon ladies and gentlemen. A wise man once told me that L'manberg was like a lettuce. There's so many layers of tasty goodness and once you wash off all the caterpillars and worms off the surface, it's a pretty goddamn good meal."

  The crowd started clapping for him and I joined in. He continued after the noise died down. "Schlatt has successfully washed all of the insects off our great nation and with that he's allowed the goodness and tastiness to shine through. Ladies and gentlemen, I'd like you to look around at what we've built today. Look at each other. All of this is thanks to democracy and the leadership of J. Schlatt."

  More claps came from the crowd, but it was much more scarce. I couldn't bring myself to clap for that statement. "And isn't that what this festival is all about? Democracy. Our people have been beaten down by royals and by  dictators for so long. Now we are finally free. Free to elect who we want. Free to live how we want. And most importantly free to go wherever we want without the confine of those huge black walls. And with that in mind, I'd like to thank everyone for coming to this wonderful event."