Prologue

Screams echo through the forest. My heart beats with violent force in my chest, as shapes whiz past me with unbelievable speed. I've never seen werewolves move that fast.

"Alora! Run!" My father shouts as he shifts into his grey wolf, seconds before he gets slammed against a tree.

Sobbing I dash through the forest as fast as my two legs can carry me. My wolf fights for control but I am too distraught to let her take over. All around me the sounds of agonized howls ripple through the night air as one by one their lives come to an end. My breathing erratic as I see my fellow pack members fighting off vicious rogues.

My sister. Where is my sister?

"Nora!" I bellow as I sprint through the dark forest, not caring about calling attention to myself. "Nora where are you!?"

Tears streaming down my face as I hear another gut-wrenching howl. Another pack member down.

"Alora!" I hear her desperate call, "Alora where are you?!"

Picking up my speed I run in the direction of her voice. I don't get very far before the sound of vicious snarls causes me to halt. The hairs on the back of my neck stand up and I freeze. My blood turns to ice in my veins and a growl escapes my lips.

"NO!" Shrieks a familiar voice in despair and my heart stops at the sound of it.

My eyes widen in fear as I watch her collide with the huge brown wolf whose glowing green eyes are only set on me. "MOM NO!" I scream watching the horrific scene in front of me unfold.

She shifts mid-air as she attempts to tackle the wolf. But before I can even blink the wolf tears her body in two. Snarling as he sinks his canine teeth into her, tearing her flesh. My body shuts down as ice-cold fear paralyzes me. The sight before me too gruesome to think of anything else. A twig snapping to our left causes the wolf to stop feasting on my mother's corpse and focus on the intruder.

Nora. Her brown hair matted in sweat and blood as she clutches her stomach in shock at the view before her. Her frightful scream pierces through the forest and causes my body to snap out of its paralysis.

"No, Nora! Please Run!" I scream in anguish as the rogue stalks towards her, mouth dripping with our mother's deep red blood. The anger and fear that swirls inside of me cause my wolf to burst through my skin with a menacing roar. The rogue ignores me, completely unfazed. With a loud growl, I tackle him and we roll across the cold damp forest ground. He pins me down and snarls at me like the wild animal he is. My mind a jumbled up mess as I pray that my death will serve as enough distraction for Nora to escape. She's only recently turned fifteen. She has to live... She has to.

He brings his sharp teeth closer to my face and I claw at him in an attempt to get away but it's no use. He's stronger than any wolf I have ever encountered. Even with Alpha blood in my veins, I am still no match for his brute strength.

His teeth approach my neck and I brace myself for their intrusion. Confusion washes over me when instead he sniffs me and shakes his head. With one last glance in my direction, he chases after my sister so fast he actually blurs. What the hell is going on?

Charging after him I hear as Nora's weak howl cuts short and my eyes sting with tears as I howl in grief.

My howl calls the rogues over to me. I stare into their glowing green eyes in grief and anger. My father and ten others from our pack come to stand beside me. I look at my father and feel my heart clench in my chest as he gives me a heartbroken look.

Alora. He says through the mind link. You need to get out of here. Now.

No. I won't leave. I will not abandon our pack. We are all that remain. We will fight together. We will die together.

I wasn't asking. He says as he nods at his Beta to push me back. I struggle against them but the rogues begin to attack and I whimper as I try to get back to my father. Always remember the Oasis lies beyond the 'X.' Now go! Get out of here Alora. NOW! He orders and my wolf has no choice but to obey.

I tear off at full speed in the other direction and run as fast as I can and I struggle to breathe. This can't be happening. Why is this happening?

Alora? Says Nick as I pass by his grey wolf. Oh my Goddess, it's Alora! He announces as he begins to run alongside me. Seconds later twelve others join us. Their voices jumbling as they all spoke at once.

Alora, what are we going to do now?

Our home is gone.

My family is gone.

We're all alone. What are we going to do?

I allow myself a few moments of unbearable grief as I hear the most devastating howl of all. My fathers. Nick and the others come to a stop at the sound of it. Turning their heads to face the moon as they got ready to howl in agony over their fallen alpha.

Don't. I order and they snap their gazes in my direction. You'll give away our location.

What are we supposed to do? Our pack is gone, without our alpha, we may as well let them kill us! Cries Jocelyn as she steps closer.

No! Argues Nick as his wolf huffs in protest. Our parents did not sacrifice their lives to protect us just so that we could give up!

I snarl to get their attention. The Ember Pack's flame will never go out. WE are the pack, and when our fire is ready, we will burn our enemies to the ground.  One by one their sad expressions morphed into ones of pure anger.

We stand by you. Says Nick as he and the others bow their heads in submission. Till the end of time Alpha Lume.

~~~ A/N~~~
Ta daaaaa what do you guys think? I really liked doing a prologue for this story, it was fun!

I will be updating every friday and sometimes depending on my level on inspiration maybe even on a Saturday now and again. Anyway, hope you enjoyed it. See you next week 😬