27 | Ascend II

Gabriel

My stomach was a constant state of nausea on the way back to Cross Rivers. James, Greyson and Isobel knew better to incite conversation, I just needed to get back to Miesha. My focus was on nothing else. Guilt gnawed at me, I couldn't believe that my impulsiveness and lack of foresight could risk her ruin... again.

"You know that's bullshit Gabe. He wouldn't take her now. He is just fucking with you..."

"Get outta my fucking head James, I swear to fuck..."

"Okay, okay. She will be fine though."

Sending a glare that left no room for interpretation, he relented, leaving me be for the remainder of the drive back.

~

The unending wind finally staggered to a still as we arrived.

Stepping out of the truck, we were hit with the stench of blood. Unknown blood. And whilst that knowledge provided momentary reprieve, the ripples of tension that laced the skies choked me in apprehension.

Neve made her way through when my feet hit the dirt, mind-linking me almost immediately.

"Gabriel, this is so fucking cool, seriously. Come to the grove quickly or you'll miss the show."

"What the fuck Neve?!"

"Miesha is fucking brutal, you'll want popcorn for this..."

I scoffed, rolling my eyes without giving her a response. At least she managed to allay my concerns, although I questioned her way of doing so.

Following the scene outlaid before me, my stride quickened to where the pack was gathered. Walking through the crowd, I feel their excitement. And curiously, I feel their pride. Some send nods of acknowledgement my way, but others are too invested in the narrative that is playing out before them.

I spot Neve. A smirk plastered along her face, as she leans on the timber fence. Looking on in anticipation, she acts like a proud big sister. She feels she has helped nurtured her evolution. And she is right. Ironically I notice that we are in the same place where Miesha's wolf first came out to play, except this time Neve is not holding her back, no one is holding her back... and I am no longer a stranger on the hill... Locking eyes with Neve, I can tell the moment is not lost on her.

This time she has ascended.

Each step closer offers me sips of honey and lavender.There is no fear in the air. Until there I stand... transfixed in awe at the truth that was unfolding...

Her passion was raw and unfiltered as I watch her rip the throat from her prey. And although I'd initially felt fear on her behalf, it is made blindingly apparent that she is an Alpha in this moment. Pure. Imperfectly so.... For what she lacks in skill she makes up for with passion. She is unbridled in her power.

Each tread of her claws, is another step towards to her own feelings of absolution. She must do this. It needs to be her. She needs to be her own heroine...

The juxtaposition displayed before me is ironic. The more unclean she becomes the more cleansed she feels, as if she is being baptized by their blood. I can taste it. I can taste her. My gaze is fixed as it hits me... I realize I am rendered catatonic by the eroticism of her form.

She plays the final moments in slow motion, keeping her prey locked in an unforgiving state of misery as she teases him with death. He submits, but she has none of it.

There are impatient howls that fill the air as the pack demands their justice for the trespass, their eagerness only encouraging Miesha on further in her dance of dominance.

Her wolf spots me as she circles around her victim. Every fiber of muscle twitching and strand of fur bristling as she gauges my reaction. Nodding, I let her know how I feel in this moment, the scent of my pride and arousal saturating the air despite the audience. Let them know how much she means to me.

The slightest tinge of jealously seeps through my senses as I notice that Eliza too, is a witness to her Moon rising to her full glory. I send a glance her way, watching her temples pulse and her jaw clasp in mild irritation but I quickly divert back to Miesha who deserves my all in this moment.

And so ends the final scene before the curtain falls with as much grace and elegance as there can be in such a violent act. The field stands still as her wolf saunters closer, stepping over her kills like rotten flesh. Liquid crimson drowns her fur like a highness in her cape, her paws leaving but crimson ink marks against what is left of the green grass.

Her audience kneels in respect and gratitude. I walk towards her in pride. We are both honored with silence as they bear witness to our rawness.

Licking my palm as if seeking thanks for her efforts, I can't help but give her the head rubs she desires. I am struck by the shades of innocence and playfulness peeking through as she demands recognition for her efforts. "You are beautiful," I say aloud before offering her a dress for her shift.

Eyes are diverted from our private moment, but I cannot divert mine from her form as she unfolds into the beauty before me. Wrapping her in warmth I pull her into my chest, stroking her hair as she is released from the marring of her past.

"It's okay. It's okay. I've got you..." I am so shocked by her tenderness I silently wish we could freeze the moment in time forever. Closing my eyes, we continue to stand. Feet on the earth, we are held up by the moon, her watchful gaze full with pride at the fabric she has woven together.

The crowd dissipates, a final show of respect to their Luna as they understand the significance of the moment to her.

Feeling her sobs continue to flow, I stand mute in silent support as I wrap her closer in my arms. Picking her up, the softness of her form is her consent as she nestles against me. I slowly carry her home, the short distance extended through my unwillingness for the moment to end. As the silence ensues, I am reminded of my past longing to find my mate when I last walked through these parts.... And now she is in my arms, I will never let her go.

Thank you for reading

Don't forget to vote and comment if you are enjoying my story.