1.0 | 운 명

F A T E

»»-------------¤-------------««

I gazed for too long.

I knew this because the boy with the bunny smile now slightly raised his eyebrows, cocking his head to the side in a manner that reminded me of an inquisitive puppy.

"Are you okay?" A cute furrowing of his eyebrows, a warmth in his tone. "Did I give you a concussion?"

New.

This is so, so new. Aside from you, I've never felt a flutter in my heart or a falter in my heartbeat. And it was foreign, this feeling - like I'm discovering, stumbling across a new thing.

But of course, at that time, I was convinced it was only because the stranger I bumped into was handsome, nothing more. After all, my heart was still with you.

So I dusted myself off and got up, biting my lip anxiously. "I'm so sorry, I wasn't looking and..."

"It's fine," he chuckled, the banana milk now in his hand as he drew himself up. I briefly notice how he's exactly a head taller than I am, how boyish he looked in his hoodie, how bright his entire presence seemed to be.

Still guilty, I repeated, my brows furrowed in worry, "I really am sorry, are you okay?"

The boy pursed his lips, as if holding back a smile. "I'm fine, I really am."

"But I feel awful - your stomach, does it hurt -"

A huff of laughter, an amused grin. He was looking at me like I was something new as well. "No, really, I'm fine."

And before I could continue my protestations, he unfurled his hand out, palm up. "Okay look, here how about this - since you feel bad, just buy me a banana milk next time we meet. Deal?"

At that, I exhaled a tiny puff of laughter, suddenly finding this entire situation weirdly hilarious.

"Deal."

Warm, calloused fingers took hold of mine, and the brief skinship lingered long on my mind even after we shook hands and parted them.

And when I looked up, my breath scattered like the wind.

He was gazing at me like one would at an art constellation in a museum. Like I was a stone carving or an ancient relic; a framed painting, whose brushstrokes he wanted to study in detail.

The curiosity was there and then gone, fleeting like a bird taking flight, enough to make my heart slightly tremble like a taut arrow.

And then the politeness returned as he nodded with friendly warmth. "Alright, see you around then."

I only had time to courteously nod back before he'd disappeared from my view.

Gently shaking my head, I continued on through the store, finding the encounter hilarious and quirky, but not giving it too much of a second thought.

Maybe I should have.

Because when I look back, I see now - that it was in that very aisle that the strings of fate had begun to unravel between Jungkook, me and you.

And that soon, it would become a loop entangling the three of us in a web of messy hearts and lonely souls.

»»-------------¤-------------««

A/N: I hope you're enjoying it so far - get ready for a little foreshadowing. :)