Chapter 10: Driving By

I immediately got dressed and hurried into the living room. While Ben's eyes were glued to the TV, Aunt Jessica is nowhere to be seen. I was so anxious to run downstairs that I didn't have the time to dry my hair.

"What's going on?" I asked. "Where's Aunt Jessica?"

"She's out shopping," Ben answered. "The police has found another body."

Another body? I thought.

"That would make it twenty-three," I stated. "Let me guess, is he a university student?"

"He's far from it," Ben sighed. His hand was gripping onto the remote.

He then rewinded the television news and pressed Play.

"This is the twenty-third body that we have found today," the news reporter announced.

She was a petite, blond woman wearing a brown trench coat, heavy makeup, and black pumps.

The sky was so dark that I couldn't see the color of her eyes; her strange appearance reminded me of a raccoon. The crime took place in a creek somewhere in Lincoln.

"As usual," she continued. "This man is twenty years of age, and like the other victims, he attends University of Nebraska."

"The man's name is Henry Long," Ben said. "He moved to the United States as an Korean exchange student and was starting his freshman year."

"What's so different about him?" I asked.

"According to Seth," Ben began. "Henry had disappeared in seven years, apparently they have just found the body in the lake."

With the push of a button, Ben turned off the TV and looked up at me.

"We need to solve this case fast," I insisted. "Let's check out the crime scenes."

Ben nodded in agreement the lifted himself out of his chair.

"What should we tell your aunt?" he asked.

"We'll leave her a note," I suggested.

"And tell her what?" Ben snorted. "Hey, Aunt Jessica! We're finding a serial killer!"

I rolled my eyes at his sarcasm.

"Well, do you have other plans?" I asked.

Ben blushed in embarrassment.

Didn't think so, I thought cleverly.

I escalated upstairs as I snatched a sheet of paper and pencil and wrote a long paragraph. After writing, I read it over to make sure I didn't make any mistakes.

Dear Aunt Jessica, I read. Ben and I are going to use your Mustang in the garage for a drive around the cottage. Because of the investigation, we promise to return home.

By the time we get back, we'll enjoy your blueberry cheesecake.

Sincerely,

Nicole Porter and Benjamin Hamilton

After I finished reading, I put on my black bra and casual street clothes: red plaid t-shirt, white tees, jeans, and black sneakers.

I quickly dried my hair then head back downstairs.

Ben stood behind the couch as I set the letter on the kitchen table.

"Let's go," I said. He nodded as he tossed my black knapsack in mid-air.

I caught it then peeked inside. It has my usual equipment: the lock picking instruments, taser flashlight, pepper spray, and my tablet.

To my surprise, he charged my phone and put it with my things.

I zipped up my bag and followed Ben outside.

Goosebumps appeared on our skin as cold wind rushed towards us. Shivering, Ben and I placed our two hands underneath the garage door then effortlessly pushed it up.

Inside, I could see Aunt Jessica's blue sixties Mustang sitting in the darkness.

"Does you have the keys?" Ben asked.

I nodded as I ducked under the door, grabbed my flashlight, and made my way into the darkness.

Turning it on, I saw metal objects and old junk appearing everywhere I step. Boxes of old memories lay in a pile of caked dust and junk.

As we made our way towards the car, I used the lockpick to get inside.

I twisted the tiny instrument into the lock until I heard a click.

"Booyah," I whispered. I opened the car door and crawled into the front seat. "Impressed as always," Ben chuckled to himself as he gets into the car.

Putting the flashlight and lockpicks away, I found the Aunt Jessica's car key in the ignition. I was unsurprised by this, because I knew she locked her car keys inside a while back.

My guess is that she must have forgotten about them when she unloaded the groceries.

Turning on the ignition, I pulled the clutch and backed out of the garage.

Eventually, Ben found the garage door opener sitting in the cup holder and pressed the gray button. I sighed as the door automatically closed itself.

"Thanks, Ben." I said. "Now that's one problem solved."

"We could go to the creek, but the sheriff's deparment is investigating there."

"We could visit the families," Ben suggested. "I memorized their addresses."

"Cool," I say. "I'll keep driving until you tell me when to stop."

"Got it," he replied.

I bit my lip as the car's wheels entered the gray road. The tail and headlights shone brightly against the gray pavement.

I focused mainly on the road, but I felt the excitement fading away. I turned on the radio and switched to a couple channels until I stopped on 93.3.

Meet Me in The Woods flew out of the speakers. Just then, the sound of thunder rumbled the clouds as rain drops showed up on the window.

Ben hummed the song as he sees the streets flying past us.

"I like this song," he admitted.

"Who doesn't?" I giggled.

Ben snickered then face towards me. I took a smooth turn to the left and kept staring at the road, until Ben asked me a question.

"Cole," he began suddenly. "Do you still have feelings for me?"

I blushed at his question then said no.

"I understand if you do," Ben replied.

"I don't have feelings for you, Ben." I sighed. "You were right before, we need to move on and focus on mysteries and college."

I caught myself in the moment; I never meant to raise my voice at him.

What the hell is wrong with me?

But instead, Ben smiled in embarrassment.

"Sorry, for-" he began.

"You don't need to apologize," I insisted politely. "You were just being a friend."

Instantly, I felt his hand rubbing against my shoulder.

"Anything you're having trouble with," Ben said. "You can talk to me."

Suddenly, he tells me to stop the car. He pointed to the small, white house to his left. According to the news, it's where the first victim's family lived.

Calmly, I parked the car into the driveway and turned off the ignition.