Chapter 8: Nostalgic

As soon as we entered the house, a wave of nostalgia greeted me: blue calico wallpaper smeared on the walls, a brownish red carpet spread across the floor, and pieces of furniture squishing against each other, almost like smores.

"Home sweet home," Aunt Jessica sighed. She tossed her sun hat across the dirty brown coffee table then collapsed on the creamy white sofa. Apparently, it looked like rats have been chewing through the couch, especially leaving bits of their old "sprinkles" on the green antique rug.

"What time do you want me to make dinner?" I asked.  But instead of responding, Aunt Jessica yawned and shakes her head.

"I'll make the dinner," she insisted. "Meanwhile, you and Ben get settled into your new rooms."

I know the insides of her cottage house, so I need to show Ben around.

"I'll make the dinner around seven thirty," Aunt Jessica promised. "Just after I take a small nap, okay dear?"

Tugging the handle of my heavy suitcase, I nodded grudgingly and dodged around the messy kitchen to get upstairs, while Ben followed. Out of Aunt Jessica's earshot, he asked me about her.

"Believe it or not," I grunted. "She is my mom's biological twin sister. Aunt Jessica didn't know about it until her birth parents showed up on her front doorstep, introducing her to my mom."

I cautiously stepped on each wooden plank of the dusty stairs. Each time the bottom of my sneakers hit the steps, I feared that one would break.

"I worry about my mother sometimes," I sighed. "I mean, this isn't the first time she gets allergies."

Ben nodded in an understanding manner. "I already called Seth to take care of her."

I blushed intensely.

"Thanks, but you didn't have to call him." I began.

Ben grunted as he lifted his suitcase and plopped it on top of the fifth step.

"Seth wanted to help your mom," he admitted. " He also said that it is raining in San Francisco, and there weren't any bikini girls."

I giggled at his comment.

"That is Seth,"  I sighed. We continued to travel up the staircase until a huge door blocked our path.

I shifted the knob open and pushed the thick rectangle of wood out of our way.

Just like the living room, blue calico wallpaper stuck on the walls, except I could see the corners of it peeling off. The smell of lemon polish glisten the wooden floor, leaving no traces of residue or scratches.

In the corner of the room were two twin beds facing each other: they had white cotton bedsheets, a pink bedcovering, and white pillows.

Marveling the room, Ben set his things on the wooden ground and collapsed on one of the beds.

"Bed sweet bed," I heard him moan.

On each side of the room, there were empty closets, small drawers, and huge writing desks.

"This room belongs to my cousins, Mary and Jesslyn." I explained.

"Right now, they're in college somewhere in Maryland."

"Cool," Ben replied as he gets up from his bed. He then unzips his suitcase and gathers his folded clothes.

"I'm going to take a long shower," he said, throwing a towel on his shoulder.

"Okay," I shrugged. "I'll let Aunt Jessica know."

Ben nodded as he carries his clothes into the bathroom and shuts the door.

Taking a deep breath, I unloaded my luggage and started to get settled in.

First, I hang my clothes in the closet. I set my boots and sneakers below the hanging clothes then tucked my undies and a few jeans in the drawers.

Second, I plopped the stack of mystery books and childhood photos on top of my writing desk.

Lastly, I put my empty suitcase under next to the desk and claimed the right side of room.

Just when I was about to check Aunt Jessica,
I heard Ben's muffled singing in the shower.

"Hello silence, my old friend. I've come to talk you again..."

Stealthily, I tiptoed to the bathroom door and pressed my ear against it.

For a mysterious teenager, Ben sounded better than Seth.

"Because the visions softly creeping...."

"Nicole and Ben!" Aunt Jessica sang loudly. "I've made dinner with your name on it!"

Ben stopped singing as the sound of water diminishes.

The next thing I knew, he opened the door and saw me standing in front of him.

He wore a black t-shirt with a white skull on it, dark pants, and black sneakers. Much to my surprise, he didn't have green eyes: he had one green eye and the other is hazel brown.

"You were wearing contacts?" I asked in shock.

"You knew that when we first met," Ben replied, leaving me speechless.

Truthfully, I did notice the contact in his right eye. I thought it was a medical condition, much to my stupidity.

"I don't have a condition with my eye," he admitted.

"I hate it when people stare at them." 

"Oh," I said quietly. "Do you want me to look at you?"

"Yes, but not in a weird way." he answered. "We should go downstairs, unless we want our food to get cold."

Nodding, I took a step back and rushed downstairs.

Working in the kitchen, Aunt Jessica stirred the pot of tomato sauce until she noticed us standing there.

"Hey kids," she greeted. "I hope you like spaghetti."

We nodded as she dumped the spoonful of meaty tomato sauce on top of the plates of yellow noodles.

"Bon apetit!" Aunt Jessica beamed. "I have already set the table, it's just behind the kitchen."

"Thank you," we both said as we took the dishes.

The table is made of from an oak tree. White linen cloth covered the surface as silverware, napkins, and glass cups sat in front of the chairs.

While the table is worn, the chairs were sturdy and brought life to the dining room.

As we set our plates of food on the massive table, someone pounded on the door.

"Coming!" Aunt Jessica shouted.

She rushes to the door and took a minute to straighten her reddish blond curls.

Ben and I looked up from our spaghetti as Aunt Jessica opens the door and finds the Nebraska County sheriff on her doorstep.

"Hello," she said. "Is there something wrong?"

The sheriff only removed his brown hat off of his head and held out a folded piece of paper.

"I'm sorry, miss." He said. "I need to search in your house."