Charlie and the Wolf Pack {57}

Chapter Fifty-Seven

We were standing in Sirena’s backyard, it was almost midnight, almost time to honor our dead. There’s an old tradition pasted down from witch to witch where you spread herbs and spices around a large circle, where you placed your dead. There was a spell and some kind of prayer but it had to said at exactly midnight. I stood there stone-faced waiting for the moment when I could pay my final respects.

“The time is now” Sirena said.

Everyone nodded and Abby gave us the signal, as one we all cut our fingers and let our blood drop into the circle. That was when Abby started to say the spirit prayer but I couldn’t focus on the words she was saying because standing off to the side was all of the people that we lost.

Dante, Reggie, Stephan, Luke, Andy, Jenny, Melissa Warren, Roman, Vlad, and Lea.

My eye instantly connected with Dante’s, he gave me a sad smile and all I could do was smile back, because really what else was there to do or say.

“This isn’t your fault Charlie.”

Even though he said it I couldn’t help but feel like it was my fault.

“It is true, we died fighting for our freedom” Reggie said.

“If we didn’t stand up to Clayton and his gang they wouldn’t have stopped until they killed us all” Melissa added.

That was when I noticed that Abby’s voice trailed off, and there was some kind of bright green smoke, it was really nice. A strong fresh earthy smell made me take notice, as a shifter my sense of smell is strong than most so I can tell you that the earthy smell was greatly appreciated. Let me say burnt flesh is not sexy at all. The bodies of our friends were hard to see because the smoke was high and thick. Then it was all gone, the smoke and the bodies, the only thing that stayed was the smell.

“It is done, may they find peace” Abby said.

We bowed our heads I looked back to Dante and everyone else but everyone minus Dante was gone.

“You did well Charlie and I’m glad you came into our lives.”

This was too much.

“Take care of them, they need you” Dante said and he faded away.

“Come on” Nick said while taking my hand.

(¸.·´ ¸.·*´¨)¸.·*¨)

The mood back at the house was a mix of feelings, we were happy, sad, angry, relieved, guilty, and a whole bunch of other feelings, but mostly we were happy and sad. We won this war and that was worth celebrating but we won it with the lives of our friends and loved ones. We paid for that win with the lives that can never be replaced. Too many of us were gone now and that will take some time to get over.

“Hey baby, how are you feeling?” I asked Nick as I walked out of the bathroom.

Nick was sitting on the bed with his shirt off and a nasty looking wound on his chest. I sat down next to him, fresh out of the shower, dressed in only a towel, hair still wet and pulled into a ponytail at the top of my head.

“I’m alright, how about you? How do you feel?”

Looking at him, touching, his arm, kissing hip lips, tears could fall at any minute, I realized how close I’d come to almost losing, my life, and everything that was important to me. I don’t think I’ve ever grateful of everything I’ve had in my life and just being alive.