chapter 2

*:・゚*:・゚

Maya parked her BMW in the school parking lot. Flinging her backpack onto one shoulder while holding her bagel and flask in the other, she locked her car before making her way to the school entrance.

The halls were crowded, as usual. The cheerleaders huddled by their lockers giggling. The football players talking about another party. The science kids talking about some rare planetary alignment. The theatre kids practising their lines for the Les Mis musical auditions.

She made her way to her locker, unlocking it while trying to balance everything in her arms. A sigh of relief left her lips as she put her books in her locker, her backpack significantly lighter on her shoulders.

As she closed her locker, with the mission of arriving early to first period, she was startled by Gracie standing beside her locker. Gracie was a short redhead girl that Maya had grown fond of. They were in all the same classes and she was someone that Maya enjoyed being round. She didn't consider Gracie her best friend, but she was the closest thing to a friend that Maya had.

"Good morning Maya. Ready for AP English Lit?" A smile graced the brunette girls face as she relaxed.

"Good morning Gracie. You need to stop sneaking up on me like that." Maya smiled as the two girls made their way down the hall to the classroom. The girl noticed that everyone at school seemed to be more agitated than normal, but she couldn't understand why.

The two girls walked into their classroom, taking their usual seats in the middle row by the window. As Maya began to take out her notebook, Jenna, one of the schools popular cheerleaders, walked into the classroom with her friends, talking loudly, as usual.

"I can't wait to see who's on the Sixpacks this year. I know Noon's going to be their libero." The girl said as she sat down, al of her friends around her like a shrine to a god from above.

The Warren Sixpacks were the schools volleyball team. Everyone went mad about them when the season starts, and judging by Jenna's talk, they would be starting up soon, meaning that her sacred quiet gym hall would be full of noise and people after school hours.

The gym hall was Maya's favourite place to be after school. She'd do her homework and then sketch, letting the silence encompass her.

Once the rest of the class had filed in, Mrs. Keeley started the lesson on analysing Shakespeare sonnets. The brunette girl enjoyed English Literature; she loved reading and annotating her books, so the class was almost the same. Analysing and evaluating works of fiction, drama and poetry from different periods.

Morning classes went by quickly, and in no time at all, Maya found herself in the line for lunch. The canteen was noisy, as usual. Especially with the volleyball team all sitting together and talking. The girl already knew that if she were to look over at the table of rowdy boys, she'd probably find JJ, Mason, Tyler and Nick, along with Jenna, who'd desperately be trying to be cool.

Maya collected her lunch, before making her way to one of the tables at the back, where she put on her head phones, letting Gracie Abrams drown out the noise around her.

*:・゚*:・゚

authors note
please tell me someone got the family switch reference i made. also no hate to the theatre kids, cause i was one too :)
don't forget to vote!