Chapter Five

Winnie Melbourne

I stood in the corner of the room, assessing the other thirty-four rogues. They claim they're from the flat packs, the packs down the mountain, which is so far true. I scan the crowd, eyes finding eight other females I feel bonds with. I'm prepared this time for the shadows, forcing my brothers back so they don't cause a scene. feel their anger at me from keeping them from their mates but I brush it off. We need to hear their stories before my brothers are able to take them.

They tell their story one at a time, crying and sobbing. My anger grows with each person that informs us of the horrors the flat packs have inflicted upon them. The flat packs call the mountain packs monsters but it seems they are the true monsters in this story. The last person who speaks though is what turns my anger into rage.

"They took my pup.", a female sobs, collapsing heavily onto an armchair nearby. "They took him from my womb!"

The rage I feel in this moment forces me to let my guard down and my Shadow Brothers dart forward. There are no screams of fear this time, only uneasy shuffling, but I stumble and hit my knees from the force. I snarl and raise my head to glare at my eight brothers, slowly climbing to my feet. "Don't you ever do that again.", I warn in a low voice, my wolf clawing at my mind.

Deon shifts his weight from side to side, eyes on his feet. "Sorry.", he mutters.

I sigh and glance at the rest of my brothers, meeting each of their eyes as Alpha Kayson stands from his chair to address them. "I presume you are here for your mates. You may take them if they are willing to go."

Seven out of eight of the females approach my brothers, greeting them with warm smiles and love. I feel a little jealous, wishing that I could find my mate. Somebody who accepts me for me, accepts every part of me, including the trauma that I carry. They disappear one by one until all that's left is Sylis. He stares at his female in awe as she stares back. I check their bond, the pulsing golden strands intertwined with black and red. It's a strong bond, the strongest I have ever seen, and there's no resistance in it. So why is Sylis and his female not gravitating to each other?

"What's wrong?", I voice, eyes on Sylis.

It's not my brother who answers me, but rather his female. "I'm pregnant.", she whispers. My nostrils flare as I take in her scent. "It was against my will but I can't get rid of him. I can't."

I'm dumbfounded as I look at my brother. His face doesn't show disgust or anger, but rather acceptance. "I will raise the boy as if he was one of my own. What has happened to you is a tragedy, but the pup is not to blame. He will be my son and I will raise him as such.", Sylis says. "Come with me, please. You are my mate and what you have gone through has brought you to me. I have waited years and I cannot wait any longer."

The female nods her acceptance at his words. "I will come with you then. But if I wish to return, you must bring me back."

"You have my word."

Sylis holds out a hand and she takes it, pulling herself closer to him. His free hand lands on her small bump and he smiles, leaning his forehead against hers. My heart feels full as I watch the love pass between my brother and her. It fills the room and I see everybody else relax a little more.

The two lovebirds disappear and I step forward as Alpha Kayson opens his mouth to speak. "The rest of you are welcome to stay in the pack. I know you all have heard the stories of Red Mountain and the blood that runs through this territory. Those stories are true. Luna Kellie was killed by one of her own after she tried to murder me. Gamma Winnie was the one to put an end to her. You will be under Gamma Winnie's care during your stay here. There is a probationary period lasting thirty days. During that time, we will find you all places to stay and jobs. We hold our own here so you will contribute to the pack. Your training will start after the probationary period. Four days out of the week, starting at six in the morning and lasting until nine in the morning. There will be a pack meeting to induct you but for now, I will allow you all to get settled. Gamma Winnie, please show them to their rooms and ensure their needs for the night are met."

I stand straighter as they all turn to me. "If you please follow me, I will take you to your rooms. I'll return around seven for dinner. I hope you enjoy your stay in Red Mountain."