𝐅𝐢𝐯𝐞

You were sitting on your bed, holding the phone bed, twiddling with the phone cord nervously.  You were listening to the ringing noise, waiting for the person on the other line to answer.  The Heathers' and your sister were outside playing their usual game of croquet, and you were happy to not be buried and deemed the target again.

"Hello," a feminine voice asked.

"Martha!  It's (y/n)!"

"Oh, hi (y/n)!  How are you today?"

"I'm... decent.  I'm so sorry for what the Heathers did."

"Oh, it's fine.  It's not as bad as some of the other things they've done.  Besides, you didn't have a choice."

"You're too kind to me."

"Hey, in science, do you know the answer to question fifteen on page thirty six?  I can't figure it out."

"Let me look..."

As you sifted through your textbook pages looking for the answer Martha needed, the Heathers' and Veronica were chatting about the boy who shot the two assholes in the caf.

"They won't expel him," McNamara stated.  "They'll just suspend him for a week or something."

"He used a real gun.  They should throw his ass in jail," Chandler argued.

"No way, he used blanks," Veronica said.  "All he really did was ruin two pair of pants... maybe not even that.  Can you bleach out urine stains?"

"You seem pretty amused," Chandler pointed out.  "I thought you'd given up on high school guys."

"Never say never," Veronica smiled.

Heather C smiled and lined up a shot, and smacked her lucky ball.  It rolled in the predicted direction, and nudged Duke's ball, giving Chandler the advantage.

"So what are you going to do Heather," Duke questioned.  "Take two shots, or send me out?"

"Did you have a brain tumor for breakfast," Chandler sneered.  "First, you ask if you can be red, knowing that I'm always red..."

She strutted over to the green ball being used by Heather D, and smacked it as hard as she could towards the side.  The ball practically soared into the mess of roots that was underneath one of the grouping of bushes in the corner of the garden, and it was lost from sight.

"Shit," Duke cursed.

"It's your turn Heather, easy shot Heather," Chandler said bitch-illy. 

"No way, no day," McNamara replied.

"Give it up girl," Veronica giggled.

Heather MN sighed, and decided to just swing wildly.  She cocked her arms, not even bothering to aim properly.  She whacked the ball as hard as she could.  The ball managed to take to the air and fly past all the girls, hitting a statue and redirecting, still in the air.  It hit a tree trunk, and finally it landed on the ground, and it rolled right into the hoop.

"Holy shit," Veronica shouted.

"God, that was incredible," McNamara said happily.

Heather D cheered, and Chandler scoffed.  Confused by the shouting, you looked out the window, only to see nothing out of the ordinary, so you resumed your conversation with Martha.

"So, tonight's the night.  Are you girls excited," McNamara asked, trying to change the subject to help keep Chandler calm.

"I'm giving (y/n) their shot, it's their first Remington party," Chandler exclaimed.  "Veronica, if they blow it tonight girl, and it's 'keggers with kids' all next year."

Mrs. Sawyer then walked out holding a plate of smaller finger foods.  She set it down on  small table on the porch.

"Heather, you're mom's here," she called.

"Come on, whoever wants a ride," McNamara invited.

All the Heathers' walked off, and you emerged from your cave of a bedroom.  Veronica observed her mallet, then began to walk around and grab the wooden balls and mallets left lying around by her friends.

"Hey, take a break Veronica, sit down," Mr. Sawyer instructed.  "So, what's the first day of spring break withdraw like?"

"Oh, I don't know..." Veronica trailed off.

"Okay, I guess," you responded.

"Hey, isn't the prom coming up," your mother asked.

"I think so," you replied.

"Any contestants worth mentioning," she interrogated.

"Maybe... there's kind of a dark horse in the running," Veronica told her.

"God, how come you kids seem so confusing these days," your father muttered.

"'Cuz you're an idiot," Veronica smiled.

No one said a thing, and you looked down at your shoes.  You didn't like the fact that they let your sister behave this way, but it wasn't your place to say or do anything.

"Great pate, but we gotta motor if we wanna be ready for that party."

Then Veronica grabbed your arm, and dragged you back inside.

"Do I really need to go," you whined.

"Yes.  Now, do you still have one of those blazers?"

"Yeah, you wouldn't let me throw them out.  Or burn them."

"Perfect.  Besides, what's the big deal, you look good in purple.  There's going to be so many people all over you."

"That doesn't sound like a good thing."