Two

Three Years Later

Mason told her that he would come and see Lailah. He called her and told her to have everything ready. And if it were two years ago, or if she was honest, one year ago, she would've melted at the sound of his voice and begged him to come back.

However, she didn't. She respected Mason and the grounds of their divorce. He didn't want her anymore, and thankfully she was okay with it.

After six months of crying and wanting Mason back, Eva convinced her to visit Agapo Fellowship with her and Lucas. Coincidentally, the message was about love. God's love to be specific. God wants everyone to know that His love is the best love, and now after three years, Vanessa knew that it was true.

It was hard not having someone telling her what to do, and calling her pretty, but she was managing.

"Lailah, be a sweetheart and let mommy fasten your belt," She cooed to her precious little girl.

Lailah smiled and pinched her mother's cheeks. "You get to see your daddy today," Vanessa peppered kisses along her face.

She didn't love him anymore, but she missed him. Every time he wanted to see Lailah, she managed to keep in her emotions. It made her sad seeing him and not being with him, but again, she respected him too much to cross any boundaries that he set.

"The wheels on the bus go round and round, round and round, round and round. The wheels on the bus go round and round, all through the town," The music played as she drove down the road, her sweetheart clapping her hands to the beat.

Having Lailah saved her life. She would be a depressed bum without her sweet baby, but God gave her an angel and she was thankful for her.

The music continued playing and as she neared the park, her heart began to race. She was never prepared to see Mason. He was always so handsome and put together every time she saw him. Ha made her want to get dolled up and sit at his side as he spent time with their daughter, but she never did.

"L-lailah, you're about to see daddy,"

Lailah clapped her hands in excitement. "Yay!" She cheered and kicked her tiny feet in the air.

Vanessa put the car in park and went to the back to get Lailah out.

Her eyes scanned the park for a tall ginger as she walked over to a bench.

"Vanessa." Her heart dropped. She didn't have to turn around to know who that voice belonged to.

It was Mason.

"Daddy!" Lailah squealed and wiggled around in Vanessa's arms.

She averted her eyes from Mason's stare and handed their daughter to him.

Mason swung his little girl in his arms and kissed her cheek. "Hi, princess!" He greeted the girl.

Vanessa didn't want to linger. Mason didn't like it when she stayed in his presence for too long, she didn't want to upset him.

"Hmm," Mason sounded.

She looked up and he placed his hand in the air and motioned for her to turn.