Chapter 8 - Go For It

Since Hunter's house was all the way across town, Milo borrowed his mother's car. She seemed confused that he and Judah were going somewhere without Mercer, but she didn't push the subject.

On the way to Hunter's, Milo couldn't help but ask, "What did Mercer want to talk to you about?"

"Nothing." Judah stared out the window at the dark shoreline running parallel to the road. The last rays of daylight were dying on the horizon. "It wasn't important."

"You seemed upset afterwards. You still kinda do."

Judah rolled his head around to look at Milo. "I'm okay. Don't worry about it. I won't let it affect us having a good time."

"Whatever you say." Milo said, pulling up to the gated entrance to Hunter's neighborhood. Rather than go through the hassle of speaking to the guard in the gatehouse, Milo went through the residents' lane, typing in the code that he'd entered a hundred times before. Even after all this time, the number was seared into his brain, as indelible as the memories of his time with Hunter, back when he thought that was a thing that would last forever. But Hunter had other ideas.

There weren't as many cars surrounding Hunter's lavish house as Milo expected. Hunter had never been one for understated. When Hunter said party, Milo assumed it would be like the crowded blowouts he used to throw in high school.

Walking up the driveway, Judah stared up at the Spanish-style mini mansion, a bit awestruck. He seemed especially impressed by the lighted fountain in the center of the circle driveway.

At the front door, Judah slipped his hand into Milo's. He laced their fingers together.

"What are you doing?" Milo stared down at their interlocked hands.

Judah looked down, then up to meet Milo's gaze. "If we're going to do this, we should make it look good. Don't you think?"

"Um, yeah. That's smart." Milo murmured.

Judah took the initiative and rang the bell.

When Hunter opened the door, his face went slack. "I didn't think you'd actually come."

"Were we not supposed to?" Judah asked, without missing a beat. He sounded accusatory.

Hunter stiffened his back. "Of course you were. I just thought you might have gotten too busy. It is the holidays. So much going on. A few people called to say they couldn't make it."

"Not us." Judah replied.

Milo held back his pleasure of seeing Hunter squirm. Most people wouldn't notice the signs. Hunter was good at pretending. But Milo had known him most of his life, and he knew. It was in the way the muscles in his neck ever-so-slightly tensed up. The tightening at the edges of his lips. The way he raised his brows a fraction of an inch higher than normal.

Hunter swallowed and stepped aside, beckoning them inside.

About twenty people were scattered around the living room. Some stood off in small groups, others sat on the semicircle of curved cream colored couches, chatting and drinking. Dulcet music played in the background making the conversations blur together into white noise.

Milo recognized most of the guests from high school. A few people glanced over at the new arrivals.

For anyone who didn't notice, Hunter walked in and announced, "Look, everybody, Milo came. With his boyfriend."

There were a couple greetings tossed out from the people Milo knew better, but most of them went back to their conversations.

"Help yourself to a drink. There's also food in the kitchen." Hunter said. He went over to sit on the sofa beside Nicolas. He hung an arm around Nicolas' shoulders.