Chapter Fourteen

I wasn't able to sleep for the whole night, only for a few hours after Maricella had joined me. The environment was too different and both my wolf and I were on edge because of it. We couldn't protect Maricella when we didn't know the area or the people in it. I knew that no one would hurt her but much like with her need to protect Bailey I had an even more oppressive urge to protect her. My wolf was paranoid. We had lost her once and he didn't want to ever lose her again. I agreed with him and I was half surprised when I had awoken to her in my arms.

I had expected everything to be a vivid dream but then I had woken up after several hours of sleep to her still in my arms. She had moved closer to me, nearly touching my chest with her own. She was curled up in a small ball but her fingertips were still touching my chest. The small contact was one that shook me. Even in the midst of her dreams, when her mind was far away from her body, she still needed contact with me.

I hadn't lied to her when I said I would have come and gotten her from her bed. My arms had almost physically ached to hold her and I had been at the very edge of my control snapping when she had snuck into my room. Just her scent had made the ache lessen in my muscles. I looked down at her sleeping face as she let out a small sound on contentment, her fingers twitching slightly against my chest. I felt the iciness and rage I held so tightly dissipate as I watched her.

I brought my hand up and brushed some hair from her face, letting my knuckles linger against her skin. She was a truly beautiful female. I couldn't believe I had thought any woman had been beautiful before her. I knew it was partly because of the bond but I truly believed she was beautiful. Maricella's beauty seemed more earthy, more natural and obtainable than the other females I had dealt with before. She was everything I could have possibly asked for in a mate. I pulled my hand back, not wanting to get carried away with touching her.

The sound of creaking floorboards drew my attention. Someone was walking into the house from the front door. I stiffened slightly before brushing Maricella's cheek with a kiss. I bit back a smile as she muttered something happily under her breath before snuggling closer to her pillow. I slowly slid off the bed and listened as I moved silently towards the door to my room. I could barely hear the whisper of bare feet on hardwood as the person moved towards the stairs.

Bailey was upstairs by herself. The thought had my wolf make up my mind for me. Bailey could not be left unprotected. Maricella would never forgive me and despite my feelings, Davin was a good guy and I wouldn't allow his mate to be hurt. I slipped out of the room and slowly made my way o the stairs, listening for the intruder. To my relief the footsteps bypassed the stairs and went down the hall towards the office.

I had made sure to get the layout of the house figured out while Maricella was upstairs in her room. I quietly made my way upstairs and could hear the low tones of talking in Jace's office. He wasn't my Alpha but I wasn't quite sure what to call him. Alpha Lawrence seemed too strange for me but I shook the thoughts away. I needed to make sure Maricella and Bailey were safe from whoever was in the house. I slipped down the hall, listening to the voices rise slightly. The office door was closed and I could scent Jace and the scent of wild and forest. I frowned slightly before I lifted my hand and knocked. The loud voices were silenced and I tried to keep my uneasiness under wraps.

Jace was a formidable opponent and looking at him I knew I would not be able to take him down in a fight, his wolf was too unpredictable and he had the advantage of size. I didn't like being on his territory without having a place in his pack. It felt wrong for some reason .The entire situation felt wrong to me. I needed to have a place in the pack, I needed structure to function. It was how I always lived my life. I was pulled out of my thoughts as the door opened.

A tired, angry looking Alpha ripped the door open and his eyes narrowed slightly as he looked me over. He tilted his head and I stared at him, unwilling to lower my gaze to an Alpha who had not accepted me into his pack. He let out a heavy sigh before running his hand through his hair. He looked suddenly uncertain and it was a strange expression for an Alpha to have. "Come in, Bennett. I forgot about you." He let out another sigh and opened the door wider. I nodded at him and stepped inside when my eyes landed on a chillingly familiar form. The wild hadn't looked any different than the last time I had seen him and I felt a growl erupt out of my chest without warning. My wolf was immediately on the offensive as we looked at him.