Chapter Thirteen

I slowly woke up as the jeep slowed to a stop before it was shut off. I blinked with sleepiness as faint music filled my ears from the headphones. I yawned slightly before the door was practically ripped open. I let out a groan at the familiar scent of the person who had yanked the door open. I was really too tired to deal with Collin's exuberant nature.

"Gimme my sugar!" He growled it playfully before he had my seat belt off and had me in his arms, spinning me around and around. I tucked my head to his neck with another groan. The world spun around me and then suddenly stopped as Collin started rocking me back and forth.

"Collin, I'm going to be sick." I muttered it out and I could practically feel him pouting but he stopped. I felt my eyelids droop again and he shifted me slightly in his arms. I let my arm wrap around the back of his neck and I rubbed at my eyes with my other hand. I pulled out the earphones with sigh, knowing Collin would want to talk.

"Someone is tired." Collin's voice was low and I nodded. I needed more sleep, much more sleep. I rubbed at my slightly achy forehead before I wiggled slightly and Collin set me on the ground. Bits and pieces were coming back to me before a small black haired woman launched at me, wrapping her arms around my chest tightly and burying her face in my shoulder. Collin let out a surprised growl and I held up a hand, cutting off the growl before tentatively wrapping my arms around Bailey. She was scared and I didn't blame her.

"Are you doing okay?" I said the words low and she didn't look up from where she had buried her face in my shoulder but she nodded. I let out a small sigh of relief, trying to ignore the cold that was permeating my bare feet. I already knew how Bailey must have been feeling. I had been in the same position with our bodies unable to regulate our temperature properly. She would need to get in the house quickly before she got frost bite.

"Look at us, an entire pack of strays." Davin sounded overly cheerful as he closed the Jeep's door and I closed my eyes slightly. Bailey trembled against me. I knew it was the fear of punishment that made her so scared. I had been in her place numerous times. What she suffered I had as well but i knew we were in a place where she could be better.

"It's okay, Bailey." I grasped her shoulders and gently but firmly pushed her away. She looked lost, her dark brown eyes wide and glassy as she looked at me. She looked like she wanted to bury her face into my shoulder once more to try and hide from the world. I gave her a tired smile as I blinked slowly. I looked around and saw that Bennett had gotten out of the Jeep, his strong arms crossed over his wide chest. His muscles strained against his shirt and I looked away quickly, my face flushing warmly.

"Who is this new bundle of joy?" Collin sounded eager and I glanced at him, his warm brown eyes twinkling with excitement at the prospect of a new arrival. He reached over towards her and at the same time I pulled her out of his reach, a threatening snarl escaped Davin.

Both Bailey and I jumped at the sudden sound, Bailey immediately latching onto my side, her heart pounding frantically with fear and Collin looked confused. I slowly looked at Davin who's green eyes had darkened slightly, his gaze completely predatory on Bailey. She seemed to notice his focused gaze and squeaked before hiding her face in my shoulder again, her hands bunching the fabric at the back of my dress. I stared at Davin warily, Bennett hadn't acted like that when he had discovered we were mates. It was rather alarming coming from my usually subdued and calm cousin.

"Davin?" Collin sounded concerned and I glanced between the two and shushed Bailey gently, rubbing her back. I was tense and wary as I looked at Davin as he shook slightly. Collin shifted to a slightly defensive stance, ready to intercept Davin if he jumped at us. He looked several heartbeats away from shifting and it made my heart lurch unpleasantly in my chest..