Chapter Eleven

I felt my heart frantically beat against my rib cage as he stared at me. His blue eyes were filled with disbelief that warred with hope and longing. Their intensity caught me and I couldn't look away. He looked tired, a thick coating of stubble covered his jaw was a testament to that. His dark brown hair was unruly and longer than what may have been fashionable but to me he looked almost wild. He was chillingly handsome, something I hadn't noticed before I had been banished. He made my mouth go dry at my stark need for him. I needed him more than I needed to eat, more than I needed to sleep. I needed him more than I needed to breathe.

Without warning he lifted a hand and pressed it against my cheek, brushing my cheekbone with his thumb. I shivered at how cold it was but his rough skin against my cheek sent fire through my veins, chasing away any coldness his hand had caused. I watched as he brought his face closer before he pressed his lips to mine, his stubble scratched my cheeks lightly. The heat of the small kiss simmered under my skin and I let my eyes slide close before leaning into him. He pulled back slowly and I gave a small whimper at the loss of contact.

Amber had been right. I had left something very important. I could not imagine a life without his kiss. I couldn't imagine a life without his touch. I let my eyes flick back up to his right as all confusion and disbelief disappeared from his gaze. It was as if he had believed me to be an apparition and that small kiss had shown him he was truly in reality.

I felt my breath hitch in my chest as the hand on my cheek slid to the back of my head, his fingers tangling in my hair. Heat flooded his gaze before he brought his face down quickly and claimed my mouth for another kiss. The softness from the first kiss was gone, replaced with a fiery need that had me reaching up and grasping the collar of his shirt in my hands. I went up to my tiptoes to press my lips harder against his. A strong hand grasped my waist, pulling me closer as he slanted his mouth over mine.

I felt a faint growl of triumph rumbling through his chest as I let out a small whimper of need. I felt my need for him so sharply it was almost bordering on painful. My blue eyed man named Bennett was the hero of my story, he was my happily ever after. He had crawled into my chest and made me complete. He had given me the final piece to my puzzle. His stubble scratched at me once more as he shifted his mouth over mine again. I let myself lean against him with a sigh before he broke the kiss abruptly. My eyes snapped open and I felt myself breathing heavily. I swayed slightly, my knees felt weak.

"I'm sorry." The words were slightly pained and I let his collar go as he yanked his hand back from my waist and hair. I pressed the tips of my fingers to my lips, still feeling his pressed against mine. They tingled slightly and I looked from his chest up to his face. My face flushed heavily and I wondered for a brief moment if steam curled off of them they were so warm.

"Why?" I was confused. He kissed me like I was the only person in his world and then he apologized for it. Mates did not have to apologize for a mere kiss. I had quite enjoyed the ones he gave me, both of them.

"I shouldn't have done that. You don't need me to force myself on you. Not like that, I mean you just got back and-" He looked at a loss for words as he ran a hand through his hair in agitation. He looked lost and confused and I let my hand drop from my mouth. I shrugged. I was flattered he wanted to protect my virtue but his kiss had made me forget where were currently were and that was something I had needed greatly.

"That is what mates do, is it not?" I tried not to roll my shoulders forward, the house behind me felt like a lurking monster that wanted nothing more than to eat me alive. The others had gone inside and I refused to join them. My wolf had felt wary and restless just like I had at the thought of entering the place of all those memories.