~Chapter sixteen~

Isaac and Adeline made their way downstairs, Rylan's parents had already gone back up to bed.

They sat outside, on the decking, with the door to the conservatory wide open, they both needed some fresh air.

"You're doing well," Isaac told her.

"What do you mean?" She asked.

"Coping with him can be difficult and... shocking. That's why he usually shuts himself up by himself all the time, he doesn't like to bother people with his troubles... He's opening up when you're around, and he's realizing what's going wrong..." He paused. "That's what he needs."

"He was doing well earlier. He had a bit of a breakdown, but he controlled it... And then... Yeah." She explained, feeling calmer outside.

"It's like your walking upstairs, he takes two steps up but then takes 3 down... It's going to take time, he's improved a lot since you've been here by the looks of things, he will have times where he'll go back on himself." He explained. "I'm sure he didn't want you to see that."

"I feel like blaming myself, I didn't wake up." She admitted and Isaac shook his head.

"No, you shouldn't blame yourself, it's not your fault. He knows what he's done is wrong, and I promise you that in the morning he'll wake up and be apologizing." Isaac told her confidently.

"I don't think I can sleep anymore." She mumbled and he smiled. "How many times has this happened before?" She asked.

"We haven't found him cutting here, we knew that he had been doing it during the last few months at the warehouse, but we've never seen him do it at home... Luckily, you were there, those wounds were deep and he had already lost a lot of blood." Isaac told her and she nodded. "He may not be as well as he is now without you waking up, as horrible as it was."

"It wasn't horrible, I'm just a bit shocked. I know he needs me."

"Brody said to you about how he was still sort of dreamy?" Isaac asked and she nodded. "I don't think he was fully awake, the way he trusted you this morning and stopped himself from going into a breakdown was promising, I don't think he was in the mental state to want to cut, I think he was still sleeping... Although he'll remember what happened..."

"I think when I meet him weekly, that I should see you too. He's more likely to tell you things than me, it would be good if you could help me to understand what makes him the way he is." Isaac suggested and Adeline nodded.

"Yeah, I'm okay with that." She replied quietly.

"I'll leave you to it, try and get some rest. You're welcome to sleep upstairs with Rylan again, but if you're not comfortable with it until you've seen him awake, I'm sure the others won't mind you sleeping downstairs." Isaac said getting up. He held out a hand for her to grab but she shook her head, she wanted to stay outside.

He said goodbye to Adeline and left her outside, leaving another doctor with Rylan upstairs, she went indoors and locked the outside door, and closed the conservatory, laying down on the bean bag in the living room, Rylan's blanket was still downstairs from earlier and she savoured the sweet scent it had all over it. She wrapped herself into a ball, not wanting to face the world.

She didn't want to go back upstairs, she felt like if she did then she would wake him up again and freak him out, and that's the last thing she wanted to do. She wanted to go for a run and calm her mind down, but she knew that it wasn't safe, and she would probably be shouted at for going out alone.

She lay there for hours, unable to let her mind rest.

Jessica appeared with Issy in her arms, she smiled when she saw Adeline and they shared a sympathetic look. It must have been early morning now.

"Couldn't sleep?" She asked Adeline.

She shook her head, sitting up a bit.

"Brody said you dealt with it extremely well, don't worry about the fact you panicked, we didn't mind, we just wanted to check he was alright," Jessica told her and she nodded. Anyway, don't worry, he'll be fine." She told her. She began pottering around the kitchen, Issy in her arms cooing softly.

A while of time passed again, and Adeline stayed downstairs. Her mum would be here soon, and she could go and get some air. Brody came downstairs, looking like he needed another 10 hours sleep.

"He's awake, he's asking for you, Adeline." He said with an uncertain look and she nodded, biting her lip. She wanted to get this over with.

She went slowly and followed Brody back into Rylan's bedroom, there was a new doctor in the corner of the room keeping an eye on him. He was sitting up in bed, wide awake, he looked concerned.

"Can we have some time alone... Please?" Rylan asked and they nodded going out of his room and down the stairs. The doctor stayed just outside, not taking chances.

"Are you okay?" Rylan asked and Adeline nodded.

"I think I should be asking you that question," she told him with a small smile, and he stayed silent visibly swallowing. She perched herself on the end of the bed, giving him some space.

"I'm sorry." He said quickly and Adeline nodded, not moving any closer.

"Did I freak you out?" He asked.

She nodded.

"I'm sorry." He said again. "I had a flashback, I wasn't really in control. I wasn't aware. I feel so much better now I'm awake, I really don't remember doing it, I remember what happened but, it's like it wasn't me."

"I know." She nodded. "It's okay really, I'm just a little shocked."

"Well I can't thank you enough for getting help and... being there for me, really." He paused. "Do you want to come here?" He asked, opening his arms and she couldn't help but smile, and shuffled over, being lifted onto his lap.

"Mind your wrists." She warned him and he nodded.

"Thank you so much. I know last night was probably really stressful and weird, but I can't thank you enough for taking care of me. I don't mind you touching me, it feels good, I'm just not used to it." He told her all in one go and she smiled.

"You're very welcome, I wouldn't have just left you there, of course, I was going to help you." She told him, leaning her head against his as putting her hands on his shoulders.

"Are we okay?" He asked a little while later.

"Yes... Yeah, we're okay." She told him grinning. "We will be."