Chapter 37- We're Coming

^^Naaw! Pissed off Ali Mali in suspenders! How freakin' adorable xD^^

"The natural flights of the human mind are not from pleasure to pleasure, but from hope to hope.'"

             -Samuel Johnson

Chapter 37

Alastair's POV

A blood-curling scream escaped River's throat, his body convulsing as he hit the ground. My hands squeezed into a tight fist as a deep, guttural growl escaped my throat. The men around him laughed, high-pitched, vile sounds, eyes glowing a bright red through the bleakness around us. Their hands reached, all at once, grime-covered hands against pure white skin.

"Don't touch him!" I roared.

I lifted my feet in haste, running to my angel as fast as I could but to my dismay I wasn't getting any closer. I picked up speed, breath sharpening as I pushed my body to move faster but I couldn't. I ran and ran but I wasn't getting any closer. It was like I was running in a sea of ink, unmoving.

I watched in utmost horror as the men pulled at River's fallen form, each tugging harshly at his small form as he screamed for me, tear-filled eyes watching me with terrified horror.

"Get away from him!" I gasped as my body collapsed.

What was happening? Why can't I move?

It was as if I was paralyzed as I laid uselessly on the cold ground, leaves and dirt sticking to my body like a second skin as tears streamed down my face watching my love forcefully beaten by a group of men as I laid uselessly, watching.

"Alastair!" River screamed eyes hooded as blood streamed from red slashes across his porcelain skin.

My body shook, fist clenching as I pushed to the ground, attempting to lift myself but I couldn't. I was stuck, the flooring becoming one with me like a cold addition to my body.

No. No. No.

His soft voice screamed, voice cracking along with my heart as I roared, blood dripping from my fist as I pushed harshly on the ground. I screamed at my body's incompetence, mouth drying up as my throat pushed itself to its limit.

A soft thump filled the dark abyss as a small, pale hand fell to the group, blood flowing around it like a moth to a flame.

The ground shook, my heart stopped.

Silence.

"No!" My voice shook as River's body laid motionless, eyes open in a blank stare as I watched all color drain from his eyes as the pool of red filled around him.

My breath grew shallow, body shaking in both sorrow and rage.

"River!" His eyes watched me, cold, empty eyes that took the form of a dull gray as the men closed in on him until all I could see of him was his arm peeking through the legs of menacing men.

"No!" I roared, eyes clenching, body convulsing, heart-shattering.

I felt my body lift, the ground detaching itself from my growling form. A ray of light began to stream into the dark abyss around me. My hands lifted to shade my eyes as I pulled myself up. The dark figures around River began to disappear as if the light was burning them away, each one by one burning away until all that was left was River's fallen form.

"River-" I watched as he too began to disappear. My eyes widened as slowly from the bottom up he began to disintegrate until all that was seen was his face, a small tear falling from one empty eye as he completely disintegrated away.