Chapter 22- Broken Heart, Broken Bone

^^To all my fellow Naruto fans out there^^

"Pain of the mind is worse than the pain of the body."

Chapter 22

River's POV

Isaiah continued to eat in absolute silence, completely focused solely on his food as Derek and Hyde bickered in the background like children. Alastair held me cradled to his chest as he left small kisses behind my ear. I probably should have had all my attention focused on my affectionate mate but my eyes couldn't help but wonder back to Isaiah's solemn form. He dabbed his napkin against his mouth before excusing himself and leaving the room. Neither Derek nor Hyde seemed to even acknowledge his leaving as they continued speaking in raised tones.

I patted Alastair on the knee, he unwounded his hold on me as I stood up from his lap. He gave me a quizzical look as I kissed his cheek and followed after Isaiah.

Once closing the door gently behind me, I ran to the one place I knew where he'd be. The place both he and I similarly used as a safe haven. My steps hurried as I heard soft melodies escaping, a voice I could only recognize as his. I'd come to realize lately that, that was Isaiah's way of dealing with things. While most would weep and shut others out, he would sing. Like a writer who pours one's emotions onto a blank paper, he would pour his feelings into a melody that could only be described at his.

I pushed the ivy encased gate open as my eyes landed on Isaiah's form sitting just beside the fountain as he ran his fingers through the falling water.

"Isaiah," I called.

He turned, eyes empty as a small smile flashed briefly on his face before turning back towards the water.

I quickly walked up to him, arms outstretched as I pulled him into a gentle hug. His arms wrapped around my small waist as his fingers gripped onto the fabric of my shirt, nose nuzzled against my hair.

"Why does he have to be like that?" He whimpered.

I assumed he was referring to Derek.

"Like what?"

"Act like a jealous lover when I know he thinks of me as nothing but a close friend," he sighs as he runs his wet fingers through his hair, "I need to stop getting my hopes up. It's an impossibility."

I wasn't sure what to say. I couldn't prove him wrong. They aren't mates. As much as I wish for Isaiah's love to be returned, it's just that, an impossibility. I couldn't say everything was going to be okay. It wasn't. So I did the only thing I could, I hugged him tighter, brushing my fingers gently through his hair in a calming manner.

We sat just like that, silently as I ran my fingers through his hair and he stared aimlessly at the fountain, soaking in my touch as he breathed lightly.

The crunching of leaves interrupted our peaceful moment as we looked up at a smiling Alastair.

"So this is where you went," he bent down and sat beside me, "I should have known," he smiled to himself.

Isaiah cleared his throat and slowly stood up, brushing his bottom of leaves and dirt.

"Thank you, River," he voiced softly.

I nodded with a gentle smile which he returned before bowing towards Alastair and exiting the garden.

"I hope I didn't scare him away," Alastair said as he began to play with my hair.

"No," I shook my head, "He came here to clear his mind and after doing so he probably went to do whatever else was on his mind."

"You're quite intuitive."