Chapter 20- Cherry-lipped Foe

^ Feyona and Hyde- the dark siblings^

"Everyone has that one annoying friend, if you don't have one then it's probably you."

Chapter 20

River's POV

I read the paper at least four times before the reality of it all sunk in.

Someone, a past conquest most probably, was coming to see Alastair. Why he hadn't told me, I wasn't sure. An act that created great suspicion in my eyes. If she was but a past conquest why hadn't he told me of her coming?

My mind raced to many conclusions. The majority of which ended tragically for me.

If she was but a past conquest, wouldn't she be just that...? In the past? Why was she returning? For what purpose?

The turning of a doorknob interrupted my thoughts as I quickly stuffed the letter back into Alastair's pocket and attempted nonchalance.

"Love?" Alastair raised a brow.

"Yes?" Is my voice shaking?

"Shouldn't you be in bed, love?" His hand grasped his towel to his waist as he slowly approached me.

"I was...looking for you," I smiled with trembling lips.

"I'm here now." He spoke softly as he swept me from the cold, stone floor that had begun to become as painfully cold as my immediate future. Even shirtless he was still warmer than me. His skin as blazingly warm as a feverish fire while I, a cold midnight wind, twisting and turning in a constant state of bleak frost.

Opposites.

He gently laid me on the bed, his hands pulling from my fragile form, taking with it whatever heat it emitted. I pulled the feathered, white blanket to my neck, holding it in a death grip as I turned away from Alastair's shirtless form.

"What's wrong, love?" His voice sounded worried, almost suspicious.

"Tired," I managed as I squeezed my eyes shut. A childish act, as if, if I can't see him neither can he I. Though, that wasn't the true reason I had done it. Rather, it was to shut him out. To hide from the fact that he had hid something from me. Hoping that maybe, just maybe, if I ignored the elephant in the room the elephant would rather disappear.

One could always hope.

Hope. A word I hadn't known of until rather recently. Before the occurrences that had begun to shape who I was rather than who my father wanted me to be. A word that gave a sense of prospect that maybe, just maybe, there was something out there for me. Something more grand than a closeted room or an empty kitchen. More wholesome than the upbringing I was given. A word I wanted to keep in my vocabulary, in my reality.

A week had passed since the fated letter's arrival. I lay in bed, a continuous activity I had been doing for days now, contemplating what to do when the fated time would come to meet this so called Feona. The meeting was only inevitable.

Alastair had long since locked himself away in his study, as usual, writing away.

I, on the other hand, laid quite frozen in my bed, awaiting the fated moment to come.

A knock resounded at the door, a sound I had long since been expecting yet wasn't quite prepared for. My legs felt like jello as I walked towards the door, my hands shaking as I turned the knob. A smiling girl stood by the entranceway, a smile gracing her painted red lips, her dark hair pulled up in a neat, braided bun as she pushed her way into my room, completely ignoring my existence. I staggered, grabbing hold of the post as I watched her pace the room as if analyzing everything she could as she spun in circles. A giggled laughter filled the room as she jumped onto the bed, bouncing a bit as her eyes landed on me.