Chapter Eighteen

6/12/15

6/12/15

"THANKS SO MUCH for tonight," I tell Max as he walks me up to the front steps of my house.

The sky surrounding us is so dark tonight, not even one star out twinkling in the distance. The black abyss of the sky paired with the cool ocean air that wraps us is different. Tonight feels different, and I don't know why.

Max's thumb runs over my knuckles making me hold on tighter to his warm hand. "I'm glad you had fun Grayson," he smiles.

After the Ferris wheel incident we sat for a while, and I was finally able to get my head in the right place. Meaning I pulled my thoughts away from Cale and focused on Max where they should've been to begin with. The rest of the night went by perfectly with wild rollercoasters, and obnoxiously large stuffed animals, and tons of fried food. It was perfect, because Max is perfect. I'm the one failing at this so-called relationship.

I clutch the huge stuffed penguin to my side at the memories of tonight. In two dates Max has knocked me off of my feet and it's hard to see him ever topping them, but with Max I'll never know what's up his creative sleeve.

I stop by the front door and turn to face Max, and before I can say anything more he presses his lips against mine. I inhale a sharp breath in shock before melting into the man before me. His lips are soft yet assured, and giving me everything I need because Max is everything I need. I drop the obese penguin that he won for me, and clutch onto his shoulders deepening the kiss before he pulls away. But not before he peppers my jaw and neck with more kisses. I can't help but giggle when his hands poke at my waist and he nips at my collarbone.

Max pulls away from me but keeps his face just inches away from mine. His green eyes dance as they take in my lips and the rest of my face. The silly smile on his face makes me bite my lip in attempts to stop my grin, but it's no help. Max makes me smile, and I like it. I like him, maybe even too much.

I pull away with a sigh, and grab onto my new cuddle buddy as I turn towards the door. "I'll text you," I say as I unlock the front door.

Max smirks at my words. "Not if I text you first," he winks and then hops down the front steps and towards his car.

I pause and watch Max walk away from me. I can't help but stare at the man who is melting my heart slowly from its cage of ice. I nibble at my bottom lip as he casts me one last smirk before I finally tear my gaze away as he speeds down the street. A giddy chuckle escapes my lips, and I head inside while dragging the penguin behind me. I don't even realize the lights are on and someone's in the room with me until I close the door behind myself and turn around to see a narrow eyed Cale.

Suddenly the flames engulf me once again and my insides are crying out to go running after Max. The only person who can save me from the all-consuming fire that is Cale. But I don't show any weakness, and stand tall at the man before me.