Chapter Eight

5/18/15

5/18/15

"WHEN ARE BAILEY and Cale coming?" I ask as I walk around the dinner table placing the plates and silverware.

"Oh, they're not honey!" my mother's voice shouts from the kitchen. I quickly grab the extra plates and utensils and clutch them to my chest. I turn on my heels and walk into the kitchen trying to bury the anxiety that laces through me.

I set them down on the island and turn to lean against the edge of the counter. I cross my arms over my chest. "So where are they?" I ask, not caring who answers.

"Who?" my father questions as he begins to slice up the chicken.

I roll my eyes. "Bai and Cale..." I trail. No answer. "Hello? I'm sorry am I invisible to you guys?" I wave my hands in the air annoyed at this whole situation.

My mother looks up to me. "I'm sorry honey, but I honestly don't know where they are." She shrugs and continues to tend to the potatoes on the stove.

"They're adults and engaged now, we don't track their every movement," my dad answers. "We asked if they were going to join us, and Bai said no."

I bite at the inside of my cheek, and stare down at my bare feet that press against the cold hardwood floors. "So you don't care that Bai and Cale are having a lot of alone time?" I ask with a raised brow.

My father sighs, and my mother's eyes narrow in on me. "Like your father said honey, they are adults and engaged. We can say all we want, but they have to make their own decisions now. Not that it is any of your business Grayson." I blush in embarrassment of the use of my full name in chastisement. 

I nod even though I would like to push the subject further. My parents have always been old schooled, and I know not knowing what their daughter is up to is killing them a little inside. Especially since she is with a Hasting. 

I walk to the table with a bowl of steamed vegetables in hands and my parents in tow. We quickly begin to pass around the food to fill up our plates. I start to shovel chicken and potatoes into my mouth, when I receive another disapproving glare from my mother.

"It's not a race Gray, you can breathe between bites." I set my fork down and begin to chew slowly at her request. I love my mother to death, but I've never met another woman so stuck on manners.

I chew and swallow slowly, making sure to eat at a slower pace.

"So how was lunch with Chase yesterday?" my father asks.

I smile immediately at the mention of his name. "Great! I can't wait for him to transfer to Northwestern," I say truthfully.

My mother smirks at me. "You know your father and I met the summer before our junior year." I roll my eyes at what she is pushing. It's as if Chase and I are the only ones who see each other as friends. Everyone else has hearts in their eyes, and is trying to play matchmaker.