Chapter 30

All rights reserved

The Immortals

Unedited

CHAPTER 30

Alec stared at Lila. She hadn't woken up yet, since Caine brought her into the hospital.

" It's remarkable, really. She's healing at an unusually fast rate," Alec looked at the Doctor, who was talking to Caine.

Alec barely recognized Lila, the first night he came in to see her. She was all skin and bones, covered in bruises, stitches, and bandages. He could barely imagine what she would have looked like before the doctors got to her.

Caine was holding onto her hand that night , his head bent down. When he looked up at him, his eyes were red and Alec realized that Caine had cried. 

It was difficult to see his Alpha- his best friend in so much pain. Alec knew that Caine realized the way he had been treating Lila was wrong, and he knew that Caine was trying to be a better mate. But he wasn't sure if Lila would forgive Caine this time. Hell, he didn't even know if Lila was ever going to be okay, after all she had been through, he expected her to be messed up.

And messed up she was.

Caine felt Lila's hand curl around his slightly. His eyes shot open and he leaned in towards her. Slowly Lila's eyes began to open and she blinked a couple of times.

And then she began to scream.

" P-please gget away f-f-from me," she sobbed loudly as she curled her legs into herself, probably ripping her stitches.

Caine reached towards her," it's okay Lila... It's me." She jerked back and more tears spilled down her face.

" d-don't p-please," she screamed and cried, "n-no mmore."

Caine tried talking again, he tried to calm her down, but she pushed as far away from him as she could get and sobbed some more.

Soon the doctors and nurses were in the room. " Sir, you have to leave!" They told him to get out, and when he didn't, Alec and James had to force him out. James had just arrived from one of the warrior camps.

Hours later when Lila had calmed down, they let Alec go into her room, as well as one of the hospitals psychiatrists.

She was sitting on her bed. Lila didn't acknowledge either of them.

The doctor cleared his throat,"Lilianna?" She didn't move.

Alec grunted, " she goes by Lila."

The doctor nodded, " Lila... What do you remember. Can you tell me who did this to you?"

Alec held his breath.

" Yes." She rocked back and forth. Lila was talking to herself fervently, over and over again. Her voice was barely a whisper. Tears fell onto her lap. Alec moved to sit by her but the doctor stopped him.

" Tell me Lila, was it the man that we took away from here?" He asked.

She sucked in a breath and nodded her head rapidly. Alec's stomach dropped.

But then she looked up and directly at him, " n-no," she stuttered, " it wasn't Caine... It was O-Octaves," she worked herself up again into a fit of tears again.

The doctor clicked his pen and Lila flinched. " Why would you tell me it was Caine first?" Doctor asked.

She squeezed her eyes shut and ground her teeth together.

"B-because they..." she had to take a deep breath, " they l-look the same. But it wasn't Caine. I n-know it was Octaves," She said slowly. The Doctor nodded.

" That's okay Lila, you're doing very well," he looked down a this notepad and wrote something down. Then he stood up, straightened his white coat, and left the room, closing the door behind him.

Alec stood up and reached for Lila. There was a moment when Alec placed his hand on her arm where he saw the fleeting panic flash through her eyes, but she relaxed and only pulled away from him. He sighed, but reminded himself that she had been through a lot. It would take more than a couple days for her to get back to normal.

If only Alec knew that Lila would never again be the same.

~

After some time, Caine was finally allowed to see her.

He would go into her hospital room and watch her while she slept. And when she woke up he would wait until she remembered where she was before alerting her that he was in the room.

Lila was awake and was looking at him. He felt a chill run through him as her sad eyes bore in into him.

Caine would talk to her, apologizing and saying things to assure her he wasn't going to to hurt her. She never responded, only gave him another depressed look and turned away.

" Lilianna... I'm so sorry. I never meant for this to happen," Caine told her one night. He decided to try and sit in the chair beside the bed instead of the one by the corner. Usually sitting near her upset her, but she seemed to be okay with him.

Her voice sounded different than he remembered it. 

" I'm trying to understand... Caine," Lila said to him, never making eye contact. "It's so hard though."

Caine felt bad for feeling frustrated,but why couldn't she understand that he didn't want to hurt her.

" What can I do to make it better, Lila?" He pleaded, " anything you need, I will do."
She finally looked at him, her eyes were filled with fear and longing, a longing for something better. He knew. She was hurting.

" You look like him... I-I get confused, and I don't know if I'm safe anymore.." Tears poured out of Lila's eyes and she tried to wipe them away with the backing of her hand, " ... B-because I don't think th-that I ev-ever w-was." She bunched the blankets in her hands and put her face in them.

Caine felt panicked. He quickly moved off the chair and knelt in front of her. He lifted his hands and cupped her face. Her puffy red eyes stared at him.

" You're going to be okay, Lila. We will get through this," he was more assuring himself than her,"what happened to the fighter, Lila? The one who argued and fought and was a leader not a follower. The one who bosses around warriors, the one who said no?" He was talking fast, arguing with only himself, "the one who could kill demons and throw knives... The one that I think I love. Where is she,Lila? I know she's still there. Where is she?" He took a deep breath.

Caine looked into her eyes, he wiped her tears with his thumbs.

Lila's voice was barely a whisper.

"You killed her, Caine."

~

I know this chapter should have been longer but I felt that it needed to end like that!

While writing that last part I thought to myself that even I surprise myself. I definitely  think that this is one of my best cliffhangers;)

Sorry guys for the wait! Hopefully there will be another chapter up at the end of the week!

vote:comment:read

I love you all!!!

Stay classy ;)

-a