Chapter 16

All rights reserved

CHAPTER 16(r)

I wasn't sure what demons ate usually, but Joseph didn't look like he was starving so I didn't bother to feed him any of my energy bar. It had been six days already and I still hadn't caught up with the pack. I saved my last energy bar for the whole week. I didn't have anything to eat now and if Caine didn't want a dead mate he should've stopped moving so quickly.

There was no way to get through to him. I had tried the pack link, which didn't seem to exist, I tried through the mating bond for anything that would let him know I was needing him to listen to me. It didn't work.

I cursed the books and teachers who had taught us about the perks of a mating bond. It was shit all. Half the stuff they said would happen didn't happen at all and I was really starting to need it to work.

I had finished off my water at the end of the sixth day. I could last a couple more days without any rations but after that, I would be too weak to move.

The dark tunnel dipped down into a slant. I slowed my steps and strained my ears. Water. Rushing water. I followed the noise quickly, Joseph was waddling beside me on his clawed feet. I ran for a while before the sound of splashing water was booming in my ear.

" All right Joseph. It's around here somewhere," I said. I grabbed my flashlight and flicked it on, probably using the last of my battery. I shone it in front of me.

"Well... we're not drinking that I guess," I said lamely and looked down into the cavern of water about four hundred feet deep. Joseph made a noise of agreement.

" But this really sucks..." I told him, "how the hell are we supposed get across?" In response, Joseph clawed his way to the edge, jumped, and flew to the other side.

" That's just great.." I said dryly.

In the end the only option I had was to shift into my wolf and jump across. For a human, the jump would have been impossible. For a wolf, although weakened from hunger and exhaustion, it was manageable.

I stripped and attempted to throw my stuff to the other side.

My shirt and bra, a gun, three knives, my socks, and one of my katanas didn't make it. I barely made the edge in wolf form and it took so much energy to shift, make the jump and shift again, that I had to rest for a while before going on. Joseph laid beside me and fell asleep.

I put on my pants, vest, and boots on. I had my small gun left, two wrist stilettos, nine throwing knives, and a katana. Everything else was gone.

It was thirteen and half minutes before the first demon attacked. A shape shifter. First it looked like a human male, then a drakon, and then it stayed in its own black scaly body. It was to close to shoot at, so I drew my katana and swung it around. The shape shifter swiped its clawed hand at me and i jumped back. But not quick enough. I grunted with pain as the claws raked across my cheek, sending me spinning around. I jammed the blade upwards. The shifter screamed and clutched at the sword stuck in its chest.

I spat on the ground and wiped the blood from my mouth, " take that, you little shit," I said to it and pulled my katana out of its dying body.

I glanced down at Joseph, who seemed unfazed. I rolled my eyes, " thanks for all the help Joseph, you really make things easier," I said sarcastically and trudged my way down the cave.

Six more came hours later. More shape shifters. They were on me before I could even react. One dragged be back and threw me against the cave wall. I sucked in a breath before the blow knocked the wind out of me. I dropped to the ground and rolled out of the way of the next one. Pulling out my gun I fired rapidly, trying to hit one. I only managed to clip the smallest one in the shoulder. It screeched and charged a me, I took the opportunity shoot again and this time I didn't miss.