Chapter 23

Unedited

All rights reserved

CHAPTER 23

When I woke up, Marlee was leaning over me. My gaze was immediately drawn to her swirling black pupils, dilating without control.

They brightened significantly when she realized I was awake.

I blinked in confusion and looked around. 

"Marlee?" I yawned.

She nodded happily, " Lila, I'm glad you're awake!" She exclaimed.

I sat up, and pushed the covers off me, my head was fuzzy on what had happened before I slept. I moved my gaze back to the girl sitting happily in my bed. Marlee seemed to have healed extremely well. 

"Lila you'll never guess what happened to me," she said quickly and pulled me over to the mirror.

" Ryan, he's my mate... And he changed me!" She grinned at me and I stared at her eyes,  inhumanly large pupils stared at me.

I quickly remembered to smile back at her. They must have not told her that they almost drained me of my blood to save her and I decided not to mention it. Or that Ryan had tried to look me in the process.

"When did you wake up?" I asked her.

" Two days ago, they told me you weren't feeling well and that you needed to sleep. Otherwise I would have told you yesterday!" She started moving things around in the room and simultaneously dusted things.

I raised my eyebrow while my way to the bathroom to brush my teeth and wash my face.

"Where's Ryan?" I asked cautiously, although it wasn't really the first thing on my to do list to see him.

Marlee put down some clothes she was folding and looked back.

" Uhhh... Oh yeah, they're downstairs in Caine's office. He said to stay up here with you at all times. I can take you down there right now and see them though, I can see now why werewolves are always worrying about finding there mates, mates are pretty cool, Ryan's so nice to me, and his abs-"

Oh lord almighty. No one ever had to deal with Caine and I being hopelessly in puppy love with each other, but five seconds with Marlee told me that the entire castle would suffer from their annoying honeymoon phase.

I zoned out of Marlee's rambling as we reached Caine's office door.

I flung it open and was immediately suffocated by the stench of unshowered males and booze. I hate to admit it but I dry heaved in front of everyone, which earned me a shake of the head from Caine and an obnoxious snort from Alec.

The only thing left intact in Caine's office was a desk, which was covered in maps and books. The chairs were in splinters in the corner and Caine's leather couch was clawed to shreds. Bottles littered every corner, a few were broken and only shoved into piles on the floor.

"I little dramatic, weren't we, Caine?" I said dryly as I eyed the mess.

Marlee squealed shyly and skipped over to Ryan, who gave me a weary look. I glared back. Ryan moved to the corner and started talking to Marlee about something that I didn't bother listening too.

Caine's eyes blazed at me and I had to hold back a grin.

It bothered him that I knew my absence had  taken a toll on him.

I moved though the disgusting room until I stood beside him. His body tensed uncomfortably and I moved extra close. This allowed me to get a good smell of him. Underneath the the alcohol and the stench of probably days with no showing, he smelled like the woods and something sweet. He smelled like home.