Chapter 3.4: Taste of Memories

Kaval's fingers traveled from the dip in Ari's back stopping at his waist before exploring near his sides. Ari's lips trailed along Kaval's neck with fervor, leaving a trail of marks in their wake. He alternated between gentle sucking, teasing nibbles, and finally, a daring bite at the nape of Kaval's neck. Ari could not shake the thought of tasting him, just beneath that thin layer of skin. The mere idea sent another wave of heat through him, stirring excitement and desire that threatened to overwhelm him. With a shaky sigh, Ari reminded himself not to lose control. He had to remain mindful of the blood he would soon take.

Ari kept his nose pressed close to Kaval's neck. He smelled good. Like rain. How comforting it was. But in that moment, it stirred a primal desire within Ari, urging him to take everything Kaval had to give. With another deep breath, Ari licked up the side of Kaval's neck before sinking his teeth into his flesh. As the blood pooled inside his mouth, he began to drink, eliciting a strangled breath from Kaval, who willingly offered more of his neck to him.

Ah, what was this taste? It defied categorization, neither sweet nor sour, salty or bitter. As Ari indulged further, he was consumed by a sensation unlike any other. Flashes of images flooded his mind, along with the accompanying emotions—pleasure, pain, and everything in between. He could taste them as well as he could see them.

With a newfound focus, Ari sank his teeth into another part of Kaval's neck, intensifying the stream of memories. Each moment became a vivid memory, transporting him back in time, as if he were truly present in each intimate moment shared with Kaval. Exhaustion began to weigh heavily upon him, yet the desire for more lingered, his eyes growing heavy.

Ari withdrew from Kaval. He struggled to lift his head, breathing into Kaval's neck as Kaval turned to face him with a languid expression. Kaval combed his hand through Ari's hair, letting it rest at the nape.

As silence threatened to overtake them, Kaval whispered, "What did you see?"

Ari attempted to shift, but Kaval kept him securely on top, their connection unbroken.

"...So you knew," Ari said.

"I know everything there is to know about you, Ari. You have the gift of memory."

"Is that... why Auovin said... I could not take his blood? After I regained some of my memories... perhaps he believed I would be able to see."

Kaval kissed atop his eye and near his cheek. His lips were warm and soft, comforting Ari before those touches soon made him want. He was soothing the ache in his heart before it began.

"I want to see," Ari said, now facing Kaval.

Kaval pinched his chin and gave him a soft smile. "Do realize not all the memories you will taste will be good. I curated these specifically for this moment."

Ari lowered his eyes before placing a kiss onto Kaval's lips. It was meant to be a short, chaste kiss but as soon as Ari's eyes met Kaval's as he withdrew, he could not help but go back for another and then another. He only stopped to gaze into Kaval's eyes as he pressed his forehead onto Kaval's.

"Are you sure you are ready?"

Ari nodded.

"You can tell me if you are not. I will talk to–"

"I am, Kaval, truly." Ari walked his hand up the side of Kaval's chest. "I want to see him. And I want to remember. I want to remember it all... because without those memories... who would I be without them?"

"You would be you with or without them, Ari. I had made that mistake once before," Kaval said, cupping Ari's cheek. "He may have wanted to protect you from them."