Chapter 2.4: Cracks

Ari moved through the dimly lit room, enveloped by the unmistakable scent of Kaval that permeated the air. Despite his pervasive smell, Kaval remained elusive, his presence masked in a way that caused Ari discomfort whenever he attempted to probe further. Ari reached for his head, feeling a pressure building within that intensified with each attempt to find him. With a shake of his head, Ari tried to dispel the mounting tension.

The walls of the room were adorned with countless shelves, each crammed with books of various sizes and subjects. Above them hung portraits depicting scenes of chaos and conflict, populated by long-horned demons, gluttonous eaters, wyhils, and xems locked in perpetual battle. Despite the unsettling imagery, the room was furnished with lavish pieces, adding an air of luxury to the space. As Ari's fingers trailed along the smooth surface of one of the pieces of furniture, he could not help but notice the sumptuousness of the fabric, akin to the softness of oversized pillows Nis had. For a fleeting moment, the image of Nis flashed through his mind, but Ari quickly shook off the thought, refocusing his attention on the task at hand: finding Kaval. 

As Ari ventured further into the room, his eyes fell upon Kaval, who stood at the center, emanating an aura of magnificence. Despite the dim lighting, Kaval's presence seemed to illuminate the space around him. His brown hair cascaded down his back, now even longer than before, framing his face with soft, pronounced curls. His gray eyes, as captivating as ever, held a depth that drew Ari in. Without hesitation, Kaval set aside the book he held and hastened towards Ari, bringing him in a tight embrace before Ari could register his approach.

Ari's body reacted as before, his arms wrapping tight around Kaval as if trying to merge their beings into one. His grip was so intense that his nails dug into Kaval's shirt, the sensation of the fabric beneath his fingers grounding him in the moment. With Kaval in his arms, Ari felt a fragment of his heart returning, a piece he thought he had lost forever. The overwhelming surge of emotions threatened to engulf him, and he struggled to hold back tears.

"Forgive me," Kaval's voice, gentle and soothing, reached Ari's ears in a soft whisper, sending shivers down his spine. The warmth of Kaval's breath against his earlobe stirred something deep within him, while his words filled Ari's chest with warmth, mingled with a dryness that constricted his throat.

"I missed you, and I was worried," Kaval confessed, pulling away from the embrace. Ari could not contain the flood of tears that welled up in his eyes, blurring his vision as they spilled down his cheeks.

"I am sorry," Ari's voice trembled. 

"Sorry?" Kaval said with furrowed brows.

"For what I had done. For what I have become."

"Ari... " Kaval stroked his cheek with a sad smile. "I do not care for such things. What I care for... is you. Always you."

"I am well," Ari responded, attempting to reassure Kaval, though the pain in his eyes betrayed his true feelings.

Kaval's expression shifted, a flicker of pain crossing his features, prompting Ari to choke back a sob. Kaval gently took Ari's hand in his, tracing small circles on the back of it with his thumb, a comforting gesture.

Leading Ari towards a bed concealed between the bookshelves, Kaval guided him to a hidden sanctuary with a view of the outside world. Though the light had long since faded from the sky, Ari found solace in the quiet solitude of their surroundings, his focus solely on Kaval beside him.

For years, decades even, Ari had somehow managed to keep himself from falling apart. But now, standing in Kaval's presence, he felt the weight of all those suppressed emotions pressing down on him, threatening to consume him. As Kaval sat him down beside him, Ari felt a sense of relief wash over him, as if he could finally exhale the breath he had been holding in since Freir's final words.