Prologue: The Crown

Three years ago

Song: I Bet on Losing Dogs, Mitski

I suck in a sharp breath as Caustia pulls tight on my corset strings, pulling them tight enough to suffocate me. I look into the full-body mirror in front of me, the midnight blue gown looking out of place on me. It flows lightly to the ground, not like some of the obnoxious things other Nation leaders have to wear to ceremonies.

I'm being crowned as Queen today, legally being able to rule over Trisye as I am of age now.

My father is deathly ill and has been that way for a while, it's not expected for him to live much longer. Although I don't think I will be too upset with that.

My fingers feel the different textures, glitter and sequins on the bottom hem of my dress, climbing up to my waistline where my corset meets the skirt, it gains a shiny appearance from the reflection of the lights. It takes the form of looking like stars, a thing Trisye is widely known for.

The corset is a deep midnight blue, near black, that matches the skirt, with a low neckline, and my sapphire necklace hanging in the open space. My hair is slung over my shoulder, long and brown while my sister Caustia does my corset up, in silence. My hair catches the sun in the perfect way where people can see the blue streaks I've been wearing for years.

My hair has been curled, and my face-framing pieces have braided back, and decorated with cuffs as well as small star chains. A small sapphire tiara sitting on my headthe coronation tiara. This is the only time it ever gets used, princesses are required to wear it before being crowned Queen.

Three facts about me.

My father has no sons, so I am the one required to create and build our social standing in the Nation, having to abandon my passion to take the throne.

I have been studying most of my life for this moment, as well as the amount of rules in the book of Taboo, (the laws of every kingdom) and my duties as the queen.

I'm expected to be the best this Nation has ever seen.

I'm not sure why I've been thought of this way, not that I'm unwelcoming. It is just odd for me. This whole thing is against everything I am, I hate the spotlight, and today? It's going to be all on me. It already has been.

I was woken up at sunrise, and greeted by my ladies-in-waiting, I have three of them, Delilah, Ethel, and April. Although, Caustia insisted that they leave, and she helped me instead. Due to this, I was able to get away with having my dagger strapped to my thigh like it normally is.

You never know when an attempt on your life could happen.

I nearly fall backward when Caustia gives one last tug on my corset, tying it. "Hey!" I exclaim, "Are you trying to make it so I can breathe?" In her pettiness, she gives another tug, I whip around, the dress flowing elegantly with my movement. She smiles brightly, "I swear for a Sixteen-year-old you are the most immature fae in the land." She rolls her eyes, walking over to a makeup basket, picking up a midnight blue liquid ink that is commonly used for face makeup and art in Trisye. It's tradition to do it on coronation days, mostly for the Royal Family to wear and not so much for the attendees. But it is common to see attendees wearing the blue ink as respect for our family.

"Can you sit down please?" She sighs. I nod and pull the stool, cushioned with a satin cover. She pulls up a chair that sits higher than my own and sits down in front of me. "Close your eyes." I oblige. She paints the ink on my eyelid, doing swirls and dots, before she does my actual eyeliner.