Part 9

- Maria -

I hope she's okay. I mean I don't know how I just slipped into that position. It was like second nature. I got back late last night, but my little baby was still awake.

She asked me why a got back late. I wasn't going to lie to my girl. I never would. She was so sweet about it. I just told her 'ms. Corbyn' had just been a bit upset over something. She demanded she stay up to make her a get well soon card.

I suggested it a fell better soon card instead though, and she loved it. She demanded a lot of glitter and stickers, and now here I was. Outside the school gates. Early. A month ago, I would have never been here, especially not early. I would have been working.

But my baby deserved this. My little girl who just wanted me around so bad. So I decided I'd stick around.

'Mama! I'm so excited to give this to Ms Corbyn!' I heard my little girl squeal at me, hugging my leg, still clutching the glitter-covered card in her hands.

I chuckled. 'I know baby.' I found myself remaining with a smile on my face when a teacher that I'd don't know unlocked the gate with a smile, letting people through.

My little girl eagerly skipped over to the conservatory area that Lydia always waited at and behold there she was. Looking as perky as the morning before it all happened. How the hell did she do it?

I smiled slightly at her but my little girl beat me to her.

'Ms! Ms! Mama told me you were sad, so I made you a carrrd!' She ran at her, hand outstretched with the card.

I got a little worried at her sudden shocked face and I was ready to apologise. But she laughed. She let out the most beautiful laugh. I laughed along with her. Her laugh was infectious. I covered my mouth as my little girl looked at us both confused.

'What?' She seemed upset so I shook my head.

'Give her it sweetheart.' I said gently as she shoved it at Lydia and she took it with a smile.

'Oh thank you, this is beautiful, lots of glitter.' She grinned as she spoke, opening it up to read the words and she smiled.

'Oh honey this is so sweet, thank you!' She sounded so enthusiastic as she spoke with her and that made me smile wider.

'Why don't you go in?' My baby nodded quickly and ran to me, hugging into my leg. I tucked a piece of her hair behind her ears and she giggled.

'Bye mama!' She yelled, turning and running into the room.

My eyes just landed on her. My other girl. My other most important girl in the world right now.

                                 - Lydia -

I wonder If she pity's me. I mean I would t blame her but it is kind of sad for me.

'Hey I-' I heard her say but I raised my hand to stop her.

'Can we just..forget about last night?' I sighed, staring at the floor.

'Oh- no yeah of course I was just going to-' she began backing up and I sighed. God I messed up again.

'I'm sorry, no, don't go.' I groaned. She seemed happy I said that and turned back very quickly.

She gently leant towards me and hugged me. I stepped back a little but then hugged her back.

'Thank..you?' I sighed between my words. Was this just all pity?

'I just hope you're okay.' She seemed so genuine as she pulled away, saying everything so gentle.