Chapter 62. Memories

"All you want is meat! Eat your vegetables, Ellis!"

The knight, who's usually covered in metal from head to toe, removed her helm as it was time for lunch. Her mouth was stuffed with food, making her look like a quokka. She then glared at Haniel.

"What I eat is none of your business!" she fumed.

"Don't give me that crap! I bet you're all skin and bones under that armor!" Haniel dissolved into hysterics. "What if your body gets sick, huh?!"

The black-haired mage leaned closer to her with a hideous look on his face, like a yakuza harassing a kindergartner. Geez, this is so weird and hilarious.

"Since when have you cared about me, wizard?!"

"I don't give a damn about you," Haniel stared daggers at her. "I only care about your body!"

"Y-You!" Ellis gasped dramatically. "That sounds so wrong in every context! How can you say that in front of your lover? Kallen, did you hear him?!"

Impervious by their childish bickering, I shrugged and focused on my own meal. Since I told Haniel about Ellis last night, he's been acting like this.

"Look here," Haniel made cracking sounds with his hands. "You shall eat your veggies, or I'll tell your crush about your six-year unrequited love?"

"Gah!" The knight got up and took all the plates with veggies. "Give me all those green and leafy vegetables. I love them! I would even eat grass!"

It was a humid afternoon, and the four of us were lazing around at the back of the two-storey house.

Garet, the middle-aged man assigned to look after the camp in the absence of the princess, went to negotiate with the clans of the southern lands.

On the other hand, Alistair was nowhere to be found. I was told that he doesn't stay here in the camp. He only comes to report to Her Highness.

Thus, we were the only ones here today.

While the two were busy pulling each other's hair like chaotic siblings, Princess Odette joined me on the table. To be specific, she sat right beside me.

"Those two exude siblings energy, don't they?"

My brows furrowed. Why is she making small talks with me? To be honest, I'm still feeling out the princess, and I can't say I already trust her.

When it comes to transmigrators, I learned it the hard way from Ruth Alessia di Camellia. They're not to be trusted, since they know the novel like the back of their hand; a transmigrator's edge.

I may be one as well, but it's not like we're the same. I have no memories of my previous life.

On top of that, I don't remember the whole plot.

While Ruth and Princess Odette are using their knowledge of the novel to navigate the story, here I am blindly walking through it. So no, I'd rather not get involved with Her Highness too much.

My goal is to finish the story asap. I'm only here because the plot requires me to join Princess Odette's faction. I won't get too attached.

"We're always accompanied by our guards, so I never really got the chance to talk with you one-on-one, Kallen." She smiled amicably.

I ignored her and sipped from my cup of tea.

"So, how did you die?" The princess asked rather excitedly. "Let me guess. Was it truck-kun? Ehe!"

I kept a poker face despite her friendliness.

"I wasn't lying when I said that I don't remember anything from my past life." My voice sounded more frigid than intended. "So I have nothing to share to you, Your Highness. My apologies."