Chapter 49. The Third Death

After being in this world for quite some time, one thing I've learned is that there's no such thing as a coincidence in this novel. Every encounter are ripples that come crashing back to you later on.

Right now, I came across a deadly ripple.

And it almost felt like a monster had circled its claws around my feet, pulling me underwater.

It was that feeling, like I'm going to die soon.

"Oh, if it isn't our useful bait!" Lilith chirped.

Even in the dark, her pink hair stood out in the forest. More than that, her crimson eyes were glowing like a pair of small yet brilliant rubies.

"I am here to collect my heart, you see." Lilith, who was in the body of Ingrid as usual, giggled childishly. "And you? Are you going somewhere?"

I didn't answer and kept a defensive stance.

"Hmm." For some reason, she kept looking at my stomach. "I made an oath that I won't kill you."

A sinister grin appeared on her face.

"But I never said that I won't hurt you, did I?" She laughed. "So if I wound you deep enough and you bleed to death, it won't count as me killing you!"

Fear crashed down on me. This crazy bitch...

"Ha, Grand Duke Averill is so foolish." Lilith shook her head. "How could he make such a vague deal with the devil? He should've been more specific."

Her incessant laughter filled the forest.

"Or maybe he shouldn't have trusted the devil in the first place!" Lilith tottered towards me. "How would he feel if I kill his beloved and his heir?"

Huh?

Her words had me puzzled. What does she mean?

"Eh?" When Lilith noticed the questioning look on my face, she tilted her head innocently. "Are you saying you don't know that you're with child?"

I inhaled sharply at the devil's words. What?

"The existence is a bit faint and it's still growing, but I definitely feel another life within you." She took my hands. "Yay! You're going to be a mom!"

I shot her a horrified look. How could I be pregnant? I only did it with Alistair twice!

I didn't know how to take that news. This is the worst time for me to discover the existence of a child in my womb. I'm alone with Lilith in a desolate forest. She could kill me anytime now!

While the devil incarnate was rambling in front of me, I took a deep breath and tried to clear my head. To be honest, I was already prepared to die when I saw her... but bearing a child is different.

It's not just me now. I'm not alone anymore.

If I want this child to live, I need to survive.

"Shall I tell you the little one's gender?"

In any case, Lilith seems to be in a pleasant mood right now and she's acting amicable to me. If I use her flippant attitude to my advantage, I might be able to make it out of here alive and unscathed.

I have to be careful not to provoke her ire.

"C-Can you do that?" I hesitantly inquired.

"Of course! There's a small flame in human souls, an indicator of their sex at birth." Lilith explained gleefully. "Blue if it's a boy and pink if it's a girl."

She took a closer look at my stomach.

"Let's see. The color of your child's flame... Wow, as red as blood! Do you know what that means?"