Chapter 16. Heaven-sent

Up until now, I was pretty sure of my gender.

I was as straight as a damn ruler. But on my first day of serving the villainess, which included me assisting her in the bath, my inner gay came out.

I mean, she was naked in front of me. Her curvy and plump figure was so alluring. I couldn't even meet her blue eyes, which looked bleary amidst the steam of the hot bath. I was fangirling hard.

"Isabelle," Lady Camellia slumped her back on the bathtub then eyed me. "Shall we change the genre of this novel into an R-18 Yuri, my dear maid?"

I coughed. "With all due respect, I prefer men."

"Is that so? I may not be a man, but I am confident that I can satisfy you even without that dangling thing down there." Her lips curved into a smirk.

I bowed respectfully. "I shall politely decline, my lady. I have ten fingers, I can do it by myself."

She was hysterical at my answer. I only realised it today, but our humor seems to be in the same wavelength. I could never make vulgar jokes like this with the heroine. Ingrid was the purest girl.

"That aside," I began brushing her hair while she was in the tub. "What are your plans, my lady?"

Lady Camellia didn't give me an answer.

"I'm just wondering... If you wanted to avoid your death, wouldn't it be better for you to do nothing? As long as you don't do anything to the heroine..."

"That won't do." She rested her head on the edge of the tub. "Even if I refrain from going against Ingrid, someone else will have to do it. Our roles in the novel will be swapped, just like your case."

I tilted my head in confusion. "Is that bad?"

"I have no way of knowing what fate awaits me if I refuse to act as a villainess. I could end up marrying a good-for-nothing nobleman."

The lady got up from the tub then gracefully put her hair over her shoulder. I carefully wiped her body with a towel and covered her with a robe.

"I would rather play a role that I know by heart than gamble my future." Her pinking lips rose into a smile. "I shall do my part as a villainess, while preparing countermeasures behind the scenes."

I was startled when the lady placed a finger on my chin. She raised my head then stared at me rather affectionately. I kept my eyes on her face, because she had yet to close her robe and I could still see her naked body. God, please help me stay straight.

"This will be your very first task, Isabelle."

I nodded. "Please tell me what I have to do."

"I need you to find someone for me, dear." Lady Camellia rubbed her chin. "A man named Kaja, son of a blacksmith and living in the capital."

We left the bath and headed to the adjacent room, where I helped the lady get dressed. She donned a simple white-laced dress with minimal jewelries.

"Tell that man that the lady of the Camellia duchy wishes to meet him." Even though the lady was looking at me, her mind seemed to be elsewhere.

"Understood, my lady." I replied with much zeal.

"If he refuses to comply with my summon, just tell him these exact words." The villainess snickered before continuing. "I have some Elven Silk, Kaja."

With that, I set out on my very first mission.

---

Since I was going out alone, I decided to wear casual clothes. I may not be a noblewoman, but being a maid means being employed, and being employed means being paid. Even maids can be prey to pickpockets, so I should still be careful.