Astra

By Luna_Lovegood7856

Astra Titania Black Astra has lived in an orphanage since her father was wrongfully imprisoned and her mother... More

Prologue
Act 1
I - The Orphanage
II - The Dead
III - The Hogwarts Express
IV - The Sorting Ceremony
V - The Start of Term
VI - The Halloween Feast
VII - The Christmas Holidays
VIII - The Dragon
IX - The Philosopher's Stone
Act 2
X - The Summer At Hogwarts
XI - The Start of Second Year
XII - The Chamber of Secrets Has Been Opened
VIII - The Heir of Slytherin
Act 3
XIV - The Prisoner Escaped
XV - The Hippogriff
XVI - The Boggart
XVIII - The Reunion
XIX - The Attack
XX - The Defense Class
XXI - The New Friend
XXII - The Patronus
XXIII - The Marauders' Map
XXIV - The Hogsmeade Trip
XXV - The Confrontation
XXVI - The Christmas Present
XXVII - The Dementor Lessons
XXVIII - The Dementor's Kiss
XXIX - The New Quidditch Commentator
XXX - The Secret
XXXI - The Divination Class
XXXII - The Quidditch Cup
XXXIII - The Hippogriff Trial
XXXIV - The Explanation
XXXV - The Animagus
XXXVI - The Full Moon
XXXVII - The Time Turner
XXXVIII - The Stag
XXXIX - The Resignation
Act 4
XL - The Lovegoods
XLI - The Vision
XLII - The Quidditch World Cup
XLIII - The Dark Mark
XLIV - The Train Ride
XLV - The Welcoming Feast
XLVI - The Triwizard Tournament
XLVII - The Blast-Ended Skrewts
XLVIII - The Article
XLIX - The Unforgivable Curses
L - The Society for the Promotion of Elfish Welfare
LI - The Imperius Curse
LII - The New Students
LIII - The Goblet of Fire
LIV - The Champions
LV - The Vision Theories
LVI - The Clairvoyant Ring
LVII - The Secret Meeting
LVIII - The First Task
LIX - The Unexpected Task
LX - The Date Quest
LXI - The Yule Ball
LXII - The Blackmail
LXIII - The Second Task
LXIV - The Visit in Hogsmeade
LXV - The Search for Barty Crouch Jr.
LXVI - The Third Task
LXVII - The Imposter
LXVIII - The Ending of the Tournament
LXIX - The Ministry's Mistake
LXX - The Recruitment of the Order
Act 5
LXXI - The Order of the Phoenix
LXXII - The Tale of Melody Fawley
LXXIII - The Ministry of Magic
LXXIV - The Trial of Rita Skeeter
LXXV - The Welcome to Grimmauld Place
LXXVI - The Order's Information
LXXVII - The Trial of Harry Potter
LXXVIII - The New Prefects
LXXIX - The Trip to the Hogwarts Express
LXXX - The Warning of the Sorting Hat
LXXXI - The Welcoming Speech
LXXXII - The Quibbler Plan
LXXXIII - The Divination Lesson
LXXXIV - The Class of Professor Umbridge
LXXXV - The Work of the Owlery
LXXXVI - The Detention
LXXXVII - The Midnight Adventure
LXXXVIII - The Flirting Failure
LXXXIX - The Loyalty of Percy Weasley
XC - The High Inquisitor
XCI - The Plan
XCII - The Care of Magical Creatures Professor
XCIII - The New Generation
XCIV - The Hog's Head
XCV - The Defense Club
XCVI - The Newest Educational Decree
XCVII - The Next Vision
XCVIII - The Floo Call
XCIX - The First D.A. Meeting
C - The Quidditch Match
CI - The Ban
CII - The Thestrals
CIII - The Mistletoe
CIV - The Snake
<3

XVII - The Cat and Rat

4.2K 154 46
By Luna_Lovegood7856

IN NO TIME AT ALL, Defense Against the Dark Arts had become most people's favorite class. Only Draco Malfoy and his gang of Slytherins had anything bad to say about Professor Lupin.

"Look at the state of his robes," Malfoy would say in a loud whisper as Professor Lupin passed. "He dresses like our old house elf." Whenever this happened, however, Malfoy would either get a glare from Astra or some sort of prank the next day. It seemed that some students knew it was her, but she couldn't help but feel slightly bad for the Weasley twins, to whom it was blamed. They were alright with it, though, and would wink at her whenever McGonagall came to give them detentions.

But no one else cared that Professor Lupin's robes were patched and frayed. His next few lessons were just as interesting as the first. After Boggarts, they studied Red Caps, nasty little goblin-like creatures that lurked wherever there had been bloodshed: in the dungeons of castles and the potholes of deserted battlefields, waiting to bludgeon those who had gotten lost. From Red Caps they moved on to Kappas, creepy. water-dwellers that looked like scaly monkeys, with webbed hands itching to strangle unwitting waders in their ponds.

Potions, however, was only getting worse. Snape was in a particularly vindictive mood these days, and no one was in any doubt why. The story of the Boggart assuming Snape's shape, and the way that Neville had dressed it in his grandmother's clothes, had traveled through the school like wildfire. Snape didn't seem to find it funny. His eyes flashed menacingly at the very mention of Professor Lupin's name, and he was bullying Neville worse than ever.

Astra also wasn't necessarily enjoying Divination. Hermione still made it a point to sit next to Astra every class, though she showed a growing disinterest in the subject. She also seemed confused as to why Astra showed talent even in this class. Professor Trelawney bothered Astra about her 'inner eye' all the time because of her 'aura', and even though Astra knew that she probably was a seer (though she didn't know in which way), she continuously denied having any seeing powers. Parvati Patil and Lavender Brown had taken to haunting Professor Trelawney's tower room at lunch times, and always returned with annoyingly superior looks on their faces, as though they knew things the others didn't. They had also started sending Astra curious looks as well as their usual glares.

Nobody really liked Care of Magical Creatures, which, after the action-packed first class, had become extremely dull. Hagrid seemed to have lost his confidence. They were now spending lesson after lesson learning how to look after flobberworms, which had to be some of the most boring creatures in existence. Astra didn't know whether she should try to convince Hagrid to bring out the better creatures, or just leave him be. But she simply took care of the flobber worms then.

***

October came and so did the first Hogsmeade weekend. The common room was buzzing excitedly with everyone crowding around the sign. Astra was sitting in her usual armchair reading her current animagus homework with Hermione sitting by her, still adamant in trying to make Astra her friend. Ron was sitting nearby Hermione, though he seemed skeptical of sitting next to the young Black. 

"What's happened?", Harry asked Ron and Hermione as he came in, looking wet and stiff from the rain outside.

"First Hogsmeade weekend," said Ron, pointing at the notice that had appeared on the battered old bulletin board. "End of October. Halloween."

"Excellent," said Fred, who had followed Harry through the portrait hole. "I need to visit Zonko's. I'm nearly out of Stink Pellets."

"Harry, I'm sure you'll be able to go next time," Hermione said. "They're bound to catch Black soon. He's been sighted once already." Astra rolled her eyes wasn't going to get caught, seeing as it would be quite hard to find a black dog if you didn't know that he was the black dog.

"Black's not fool enough to try anything in Hogsmeade," said Ron. "Ask McGonagall if you can go this time, Harry. The next one might not be for ages --"

"Ron!" said Hermione. "Harry's supposed to stay in school --"

"He can't be the only third year left behind," said Ron. "Ask McGonagall, go on, Harry --"

"He won't be the only third year left behind, Astra's staying too!" Hermione exclaimed

"No, I don't think I will," said Astra, not looking up from her book.

"What? But I thought you didn't get your permission slip signed!"

"First of all, how did you find that out? Secondly, I don't need a permission slip. I've been sneaking out since first year," she replied boredly. Realizing that the Weasley twins were still in earshot, she added, "thanks to a certain map." Fred and George's heads snapped up immediately and Astra smirked.

"Wait, did you say a map?" 

"We lost that 2 years ago!"

"You didn't -"

"I did," said Astra as she turned a page in her book. "Next time keep your valuables safer." Fred and George simply looked at each other in shock and then did something that everyone was surprised by. They bowed to Astra and then said in fancy accents, "Well, then m'lady."

"You have proved yourself a master of mischief -"

"So we gladly let you have our map of mischief -"

"Because you are clearly it's rightful owner!" With that, they made their way to the other side of the common room and Astra looked up to see Hermione, Ron, and Harry staring at them. Ron was the first to speak up.

"Did you really get crowned master of mischief by the twins? How on earth did you do that!"

"Never mind that, Ron. Astra you can't sneak out! That's against the rules and what if you run into.. your father?!" Harry was still staring with his mouth open. Astra rolled her eyes and snorted.

"Please, do I look like I give a damn about the rules? And he won't come into Hogsmeade," she said even though she knew very well that he would try to get into Hogsmeade, and she would certainly try and meet him if he did.

"See, he wouldn't try anything in Hogsmeade! That's what I said," said Ron. Astra looked up in shock and so did the others because they never thought they would see the day where Ronald Weasley agreed with something said by Astra Black.

"Did you just... agree with me?" she asked.

"Ummm... yes?"

"Whatever, but I still don't think that you should go! It's not safe and you're not allowed to-"

"You know, I think I will ask McGonagall," said Harry, interrupting Hermione.

Hermione opened her mouth to argue, but at that moment Crookshanks leapt lightly onto her lap. A large, dead spider was dangling from his mouth.

"Does he have to eat that in front of us?" said Ron, scowling.

"Clever Crookshanks, did you catch that all by yourself?" said Hermione.

Crookshanks; slowly chewed up the spider, his yellow eyes fixed insolently on Ron.

"Just keep him over there, that's all," said Ron irritably, turning back to his star chart. "I've got Scabbers asleep in my bag."

At that, Astra looked up, looking between Crookshanks and the bag. Harry pulled his bag toward him, took out parchment, ink, and quill, and started work.

"You can copy mine, if you like," said Ron, labeling his last star with a flourish and shoving the chart toward Harry.

Hermione, who disapproved of copying, pursed her lips but didn't say anything. Crookshanks looked back from Astra and started staring unblinkingly at Ron, flicking the end of his bushy tail. Then, without warning, he pounced.

"OY!" Ron roared, seizing his bag as Crookshanks sank four sets of claws deep inside it and began tearing ferociously. "GET OFF, YOU STUPID ANIMAL!" 

Ron tried to pull the bag away from Crookshanks, but Crookshanks clung on, spitting and slashing.

"Ron, don't hurt him!" squealed Hermione; the whole common room was watching; Ron whirled the bag around, Crookshanks still clinging to it, and Scabbers came flying out of the top --

"CATCH THAT CAT!" Ron yelled as Crookshanks freed himself from the remnants of the bag, sprang over the table, and chased after the terrified Scabbers.

"WHO CARES ABOUT THE CAT, GET THE FUCKING RAT!" yelled Astra as she threw her book away and chased after Scabbers. Ron looked at her in surprise, but brushed it off as she had always taken a disliking towards Scabbers. He had been trying to keep that rat safe as Astra seemed to be always trying to get it.

George Weasley made a lunge for Crookshanks but missed; Scabbers streaked through twenty pairs of legs and shot beneath an old chest of drawers. Crookshanks skidded to a halt, crouched low on his bandy legs, and started making furious swipes beneath it with his front paw. Astra nearly caught Scabbers, completely passing Crookshanks, but it was able to scrabble out of her hands.

Ron and Hermione hurried over; Hermione grabbed Crookshanks around the middle and heaved him away; Ron threw himself onto his stomach and, with great difficulty, pulled Scabbers out by the tail.

"Look at him!" he said furiously to Hermione, dangling Scabbers in front of her. "He's skin and bone! You keep that cat away from him!" Astra huffed at her miss, straightened out her skirt, and moved back to her armchair. 

"Crookshanks doesn't understand it's wrong!" said Hermione, her voice shaking. "All cats chase rats, Ron!"

"There's something funny about that animal!" said Ron, who was trying to persuade a frantically wiggling Scabbers back into his pocket. "It heard me say that Scabbers was in my bag!"

"It's just a smart cat, any animal would spot a fucking traitor," muttered Astra so that no one could hear her, but Harry looked curiously at her, wondering what she had said.

"Oh, what rubbish," said Hermione impatiently. "Crookshanks could smell him, Ron, how else d'you think --"

"That cat's got it in for Scabbers!" said Ron, ignoring the people around him, who were starting to giggle. "And Scabbers was here first, and he's ill!"

Ron marched through the common room and out of sight up the stairs to the boys' dormitories. Astra also grabbed her book and went back to her room moodily. She didn't understand why Ron wouldn't just give her the rat, and she had to resort to cruel methods. However, it never seemed to work.

***

Ron was still in a bad mood with Hermione next day and Astra continuously glared at Ron's pocket, where Scabbers most likely was.

Before Transfiguration, Lavender Brown seemed to be crying. Parvati had her arm around her and was explaining something to Seamus Finnigan and Dean Thomas, who were looking very serious.

"What's the matter, Lavender?" said Hermione anxiously as she, Harry, and Ron went to join the group.

"She got a letter from home this morning," Parvati whispered. "It's her rabbit, Binky. He's been killed by a fox."

"Oh," said Hermione, "I'm sorry, Lavender."

"I should have known!" said Lavender tragically. "You know what day it is?"

"Er --"

"The sixteenth of October! 'That thing you're dreading, it will happen on the sixteenth of October!' Remember? She was right, she was right!" The whole class was gathered around Lavender now. Seamus shook his head seriously. Astra rolled her eyes. It wasn't great that her bunny was killed, but it couldn't be something that she was dreading. Hermione voiced her thoughts, however, and said, "You -- you were dreading Binky being killed by a fox?"

"Well, not necessarily by a fox," said Lavender, looking up at Hermione with streaming eyes, "but I was obviously dreading him dying, wasn't I?"

"Oh," said Hermione. She paused again. Then --

"Was Binky an old rabbit?"

"N -- no!" sobbed Lavender. "H -- he was only a baby!"

Parvati tightened her arm around Lavender's shoulders.

"But then, why would you dread him dying?" said Hermione. Astra nearly laughed at Hermione's bluntness while Parvati glared at her.

"Well, look at it logically," said Hermione, turning to the rest of the group. "I mean, Binky didn't even die today, did he? Lavender just got the news today --" Lavender wailed loudly. "and she can't have been dreading it, because it's come as a real shock --"

"Don't mind Hermione, Lavender," said Ron loudly, "she doesn't think other people's pets matter very much." At the mention of Scabbers, Astra huffed and crossed her arms. Many people in the class were curious about why Astra was so evil against Scabbers, but couldn't think about it much as Professor McGonagall opened the classroom door at that moment.

***

Astra took her seat at the back of the class and listened in to the lesson, which was interesting as she had always found transfiguration. "One moment, please!" she called as the class made to leave. "As you're all in my House, you should hand Hogsmeade permission forms to me before Halloween. No form, no visiting the village, so don't forget!"

Neville put up his hand. "Please, Professor, I -- I think I've lost --"

"Your grandmother sent yours to me directly, Longbottom," said Professor McGonagall. "She seemed to think it was safer. Well, that's all, you may leave. Miss Black, can you stay back for a moment please?" Astra rolled her eyes, knowing what McGonagall was going to say, but stayed nonetheless.

"Ask her now," she heard Ron hiss at Harry.

"Oh. but --" Hermione began.

"Go for it, Harry," said Ron stubbornly.

Harry waited for the rest of the class to disappear except Astra, then headed nervously for Professor McGonagall's desk. Professor McGonagall looked up, expecting Astra, but realized it was Harry and saw Astra still sitting at the back of the class.

"Yes, Potter?" Harry took a deep breath.

"Professor, my aunt and uncle -- er -- forgot to sign my form," he said.

Professor McGonagall looked over her square spectacles at him but didn't say anything.

"So -- er -- d'you think it would be all right mean, will It be okay if I -- if I go to Hogsmeade?"

Professor McGonagall looked down and began shuffling papers on her desk.

"I'm afraid not, Potter," she said. "You heard what I said. No form, no visiting the village. That's the rule."

"But -- Professor, my aunt and uncle -- you know, they're Muggles, they don't really understand about -- about Hogwarts forms and stuff," Harry said, while Ron egged him on with vigorous nods. "If you said I could go --"

"But I don't say so," said Professor McGonagall, standing up and piling her papers neatly into a drawer. "The form clearly states that the parent or guardian must give permission. I'm sorry, Potter, but that's my final word. You had better hurry, or you'll be late for your next lesson. Miss Black, come here." Astra huffed and the trio left the room. 

"Astra, I think you know why I want to talk to you," said Minnie, now facing Astra while sitting at her desk.

"You finally realized that I'll be perfectly safe in Hogsmeade and want to sign my permission form?" asked Astra with false hope and a small smile.

"I'm sorry, Astra. I hope you understand that it is safer that you stay inside. With that in mind, I wanted to make sure that you are not thinking of trying to sneak out. It is for your own safety and I hope that you will, for once in your life, abide by the rules. But that is not what I wanted to speak with you about. Professor Lupin told me about your boggart. I would just want you to know that you don't ever have to worry about returning to the orphanage and that I will always be watching over you here at Hogwarts. You don't need to fear me or any of the other professors ever leaving you." Astra sighed of relief. She wasn't thinking about it much, but it had been a lingering thought in the back of her mind since the boggart, and it felt better not that it was cleared up. Not liking the tension, she gave a smirk.

"Now Minnie, why would I ever try to sneak out? You don't have to worry about me, I'll be just fine." With that, she turned around, swinging her book bag over her shoulder, and walked out of the class with a bit of a strut. McGonagall sighed and leaned back in her chair, smiling with a nostalgic expression. She knew Astra took the words to heart, and she was glad that the girl was feeling happy, no matter what was going on.

***

Thoughts of boggarts and abandonment behind, Astra was obviously going to sneak out, but the direction changed when she got important news from Regulus, who popped in as she walked down the hallway.

"It's Sirius! He's made it to Hogsmeade! He's currently in the Shrieking Shack; I need to get James and Lily, and you can probably see him later! Gotta go!" and Regulus was gone. Astra tried to keep a small expression as she was walking with others around her, but she couldn't help the small smile that appeared on her face. She was going to meet her father the next day, and no one was going to stop her.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

393K 8K 28
Delaney Black. The daughter of non other than Sirius Black. This year she goes to Hogwarts and discovers things about her father, herself and her fam...
19.9K 812 35
โ› ๐—ช๐—˜'๐—Ÿ๐—Ÿ ๐—•๐—˜ ๐—” ๐—™๐—œ๐—ก๐—˜ ๐—Ÿ๐—œ๐—ก๐—˜ โœ โช ยทหš เผ˜ ยฐห–โœงหš * เณƒ โบห– โธโธ หšโ‚Šเผ‰ โซ in which mavis black was known all around hogwarts, but mostly for her nam...
57 0 17
Y/n is starting Hogwarts all exciting, she makes friends with Draco Malfoy and the Golden Trio. Her school life is normal, besides all the Harry Pott...
288K 9.9K 53
โ€žwhat if i would ask you to kill for me?" โ€žthen i would kill for you." โ THE ONE IN WHICH REGULUS BLACK'S DAUGHTE...