LII - The New Students

ASTRA WAS SITTING with Luna at the Ravenclaw table again when the fluttering of post owls was heard overhead.

She noticed Hedwig holding what looked like two letters, so she quickly excused herself to go to where the trio was sitting, picking her letter from Hedwig.

Hermione looked a bit angry at Fred and George, who were just leaving, but both her and Ron were looking anxiously at the snowy owl.

Harry offered Hedwig his bacon rinds, which she ate gratefully, before reading out Sirius's letter in a whisper to Ron, Hermione, and Astra.

Nice try, Harry.
I'm back in the country and well hidden. I want you to keep me posted on everything that's going on at Hogwarts. Don't use Hedwig, keep changing owls, and don't worry about me, just watch out for yourself Don't forget what I said about your scar.
Sirius

"Why d'you have to keep changing owls?" Ron asked in a low voice.

"Hedwig'll attract too much attention," said Hermione at once. "She stands out. A snowy owl that keeps returning to wherever he's hiding...I mean, they're not native birds, are they?"

"Darn," said Astra just as quietly. "I was planning on visiting him as an owl when I finally get the Animagus process done, but I didn't realize that it's a snowy owl."

Harry looked at her with wide eyes, "I didn't know you were trying to become an Animagus!"

Astra sat down next to Hermione and nodded, "Asked about it in first year."

She opened her own letter as Harry slipped his away and thanked Hedwig.

Astra,
I'm back in the country, though you probably know that already. I gave the same advice to Harry, but if you could send your letters with him using a more common owl, that would be best. Here's to hoping that a storm will come, I'm really excited for you and hope to see you soon.
Dadfoot
P.S. did you get the pun?

Astra chuckled and showed the others the end of the letter, knowing there was nothing private in its contents.

***

There was a pleasant feeling of anticipation in the air that day. Nobody was very attentive in lessons, being much more interested in the arrival that evening of the people from Beauxbatons and Durmstrang; even Potions was more bearable than usual, as it was half an hour shorter. When the bell rang early, Astra, Harry, Ron, Hermione hurried up to Gryffindor Tower, deposited their bags and books as they had been instructed, pulled on their cloaks, and rushed back downstairs into the entrance hall.

Astra had met up with James and Lily, who were talking to her in the first time in a few weeks, as James was bouncing in excitement of the upcoming tournament. She had tried to get a bit of information out of them, but the only thing she learned was about the tournament, even though it was still exciting.

The Heads of Houses were ordering their students into lines.

"Weasley, straighten your hat," Professor McGonagall snapped at Ron. "Miss Patil, take that ridiculous thing out of your hair."

Parvati scowled and removed a large ornamental butterfly from the end of her plait.

"Follow me, please," said Professor McGonagall. "First years in front...no pushing...."

They filed down the steps and lined up in front of the castle. It was a cold, clear evening; dusk was falling and a pale, transparent-looking moon was already shining over the Forbidden Forest.