Brady Tyson & The Two Little...

By ampersandtxt

It's like the bastard child of Percy Jackson and whatever your favorite death game/battle royale story is. K... More

Chapter 2 - Questions and Answers
Chapter 3 - Study Session
Chapter 5 - The World Between Buildings
Chapter 6 - The Point of Changing the World
Chapter 7 - A Meal Fit for One
Chapter 8 - Madam Kuznetsov
Chapter 9 - Soaring
Chapter 10 - He who represents the Moon Goddess
Chapter 11 - The Rich Girls
Chapter 12 - The Just God
Chapter 13 - The God of Death
Chapter 14 - On the Night Before New Year's Eve
Chapter 15 - A Cordial Chat
Chapter 16 - That Kid
Chapter 17 - There, at the Dawn of the New Millennium
Chapter 0 - Which Came Before
Chapter 18 - Red Sky in the Morning
Chapter 19 - And There He Stands; at the Top of the World, Alone
Chapter 4 - Things Forgotten
Chapter 20 - The Snuffing of an Ephemeral Dream
Chapter 21 - Coalescence, and The End

Chapter 1 - A Light at the Top of the World

126 2 7
By ampersandtxt

Cr-ack-snap.

Nitrogen is pulled into my knuckles as my fist pushes into the man's diaphragm. I feel his heart stop for a brief moment, followed by the disgusting wet of bile pouring onto my shoulder. My fist starts getting dragged to the ground, so I quickly withdraw it as my opponent falls to the floor, gasping for breath.

"YOUR WINNER IS BRAAAAAAAADY TYSON!!!"

As the grandiose voice of the club's announcer reverberates around the subterranean stadium, I'm pulled back to earth. I squint up at the glaring lights that pour into the cage, and the door to the enclosure opens. I stand to attention as the owner of the club steps into the cage, a bejeweled belt in his arms.

"That was a spectacular fight tonight Mz. Tyson. You really are Olympia's finest."

"Thank you Mr. Argyros, but I wouldn't be here without you."

"Oh, you say that every time!" My knees wobble as the weighty belt hits my shoulders, and the bearded man shakes a finger in my face, "Why must you constantly shun the fact that you have a gift for this sport!"

"And why must you constantly ignore me when I say I have no real interest in fighting and that I'm only still here because you pay well?" The usual line exits my lips and Mr. Argyros' smile seems almost to stretch even further across his face. But I blink and it's gone; "Sir."

He grabs my arm and thrusts it into the air, declaring with his commanding boom; "Ladies and gentlemen I hope you had a wonderful time at Olympia tonight! I wish all of you a safe journey back to your abodes, and Brady and I both hope to see you here again soon!"

As the remaining patrons trickle out of the building I make my way out of the cage and back through the locker room. I quickly grab all of my valuables; this being a backpack with a change of clothes, my wallet, and my phone (the Nokia 5110 from last year). I quickly throw my shorts and vest on over my fighting outfit before exiting the locker room and meeting Mr. Argyros at the business elevator.

He lets out a grunt as I push the trophy belt back into his chest, and with a nod drapes it over his shoulder. I don't really enjoy having reminders of my job at my apartment, and he knows this, so we've just been recycling the same few belts for years now. It's what the fans want to see, I guess.

With a click of a button the elevator doors slide open and the glass box ascends smoothly out of the fight club. As it crests ground level the twilight glow of the setting sun greets my eyes, and I slump to the elevator floor, tossing my bag to one side. The glittering metropolitan cityscape recedes as we continue up the highrise, and I let out a sigh.

"Tiring night?" Mr. Argyros says. I glance up at him, and I'm met with a picture of a gaunt bespeckled man gazing out over the city.

"Tiring elevator ride more than anything."

"Ahaha..." The laugh falls out to be replaced by the noise of the pulley above. "I'm not particularly fond of it either. It's just..."

My ears perk up. He doesn't open up very often, so I like to savor it when it happens.

"Well, I only made the top floor my office because... I like looking out at the people. Being above them. It makes me feel larger than life, though I'm well aware that some would say that makes me smaller as a man."

...

"I don't think you could be where you are today and not deserve at least a little bit of lording."

"Mmm. No matter. Come."

The elevator doors whoosh open, cutting off any inquiry I may have made, and I quickly pick up my bag and follow Mr. Argyros into his office. He claps, causing the lights to flicker on, and I plop down in a chair in front of his desk as he pours himself a drink from his own personal mini bar. Shortly he joins me, and his glass clinks onto his desk.

As my employer shuffles through papers in his desk my vision shifts back outside. We really are high up. I think I sort of understand where he's coming from, but I don't think I really would ever want to lord over anyone. Moreso... just watch over them, I suppose. Make sure everyone's affairs are in order so that they could go about living their lives as they please.

"What is going on in that little head of yours Brady?" Mr. Argyros pulls out the correct file from his drawer and begins rifling through it.

"Just mulling only fanciful wishes that can't be granted."

"You'd be surprised at the kinds of wishes a little twist of Fate can accomplish."

"Hm?"

"Pay me no mind, just an old man's grumbling. Now, here's what you've been waiting for."

An envelope slides across the wooden desk with a hiss, and I grab it, shifting through the money that's inside. Once I confirm that all one thousand dollars are there I seal the package back up again and slip it into my backpack. With nothing more to be said I get up and Mr. Argyros walks me back to the elevator. As I step back into the glass box I stare up at the sky.

"Hey, look. It's snowing." I make an obvious remark.

"It is awfully close to New Year's after all. I hope you're prepared for one grand event for the turn of the millennium."

"As usual, I have no idea what you're planning, Mr. Argyros. But knowing you I'm sure it will be something unforgettable."

"You got that right kid."

The elevator closes onto his smile, and the long descent back to the realm of mortals begins again.

When I get out onto the street the chilly night air makes me glad that I choose to wear long sleeves for my fighting outfit, no matter how clingy it gets during the actual matches. Not that I have any choice though, unless I want my opponents to have an easy visual on my weak points. I don't think that the scars from the crash are going to heal anytime soon, and it's not like I'd want them to anyway.

But I digress.

I zip up my puffy purple vest, and tightening up my old cap I begin my walk back to my apartment. It's so quiet out, and the snow swirls around me as I walk, melting as it touches the ground.

This is the peace and calm that I wish I could get back to every time I step into the cage. The buzz of a flickering streetlight with moths flitting about it. A lonesome car cruising by, its driver living their own life, completely distinct from my own. A light in a window, with the wailing of a baby being hushed by a mother.

I turn and look back at Olympia. There isn't a single light on in any of the fifty floors, barring the topmost level. It's too far to see, so why do I get a chill as if I'm being watched from all the way up there?

I move on, and reach the 24 hour corner store which signals that I'm just five more blocks away from my building. Wanting a break from the cold I pop inside.

"Heyyy, Carlos, how's it going my man?" I greet the regular night shift worker behind the counter.

"Brady! I was wonderin' if I would see you tonight. How'd the fight go?"

"Same as usual. Can I get a six pack of your finest beer to celebrate?"

"Ehhhhh I dunno, are you 21 yet missy?"

"Aww come on, I just have a couple more... years." I blow a fake whistle and roll my eyes around their sockets.

"Mhm, that's what I thought. I take it you want the regular then?"

"Sure thing man."

Carlos turns around and makes quick work of pouring me a cup o' joe.

"Here you are ma'am, that'll be a dollar fifty."

I pull out my envelope of cash and hand him a hundred; "Keep the change: a tip for being one of the few friendly faces around here."

"Much obliged Ms. Brady. I hope you have a lovely rest of your evening."

That's something I love about Carlos. He knows how to accept a gift. I zip up my backpack once again, and with it around my shoulder and my coffee in hand I make my way back through the shoddy screen door and onto the street. However before I can get both feet out the door Carlos calls to me over my shoulder;

"And Ms. Brady? They still haven't caught that killer that's been on the news. I know they haven't specifically been goin' after women or anything, but a young girl like you out all alone this late..."

"Carlos, do you really think I wouldn't be able to take on this wussy little killer? I appreciate your concern though, you stay safe as well."

"Thank you kindly, I'll catch you later."

I raise my cup of coffee in response and finish my walk back to my apartment, sipping the bitter blend along the way. I manage to do so without being killed, and at the end of my walk lies my shoddy building. The receptionist buzzes me in with a grunt.

The four flights of stairs that I have to climb to get to my apartment may not be as glamorous as the glass elevator in Olympia, but they give me enough time to finish my coffee, and I throw the empty cup in a hallway garbage bin as I fumble for my key. At last I procure it and slide it into the door's lock...

And freeze.

My stomach churns with a nauseating sense of foreboding. Something doesn't feel right, though I can see no reason why it would. My hand trembles slightly as I turn the handle and step quietly into my apartment.

The narrow entranceway is empty, and I slip my shoes off, the knot in my stomach barely permitting me to breathe. I creep into my living room/kitchen and nothing seems amiss-

No. If I had turned on the lights I wouldn't have seen it. Down my only other hallway in my tiny flat lies my bedroom, and light is spilling out through the crack beneath the door. Shakily I grab a knife from my rack in the kitchen and make my way over to the bedroom. The pounding in my chest nearly deafens me, and the only thing I can think of is the killer I was taunting just a few minutes earlier.

I stop in front of my bedroom door, and with a large inhale...

I kick it down, screaming bloody murder as I rush in with knife brandished above me.

At least that's what I wanted to do, however the second I kick the door down a figure sidesteps the entranceway and catches my arm with one hand, covering my mouth with the other. I'm certain my heart stops, however the girl whose eyes I'm looking into doesn't make any more against me. Instead all she says is;

"Hi. You can call me Mold. I do hope we can get along."

And she flashes me a toothy grin. 

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

38 1 11
read to find out Ongoing.. Update weekly hopefully
2.6K 44 42
"You're not getting away from me, never again." "As long as we're together." This is the story of how life goes on for the heroes (and monsters) in...
879 14 16
Read and find out!!