Free Bird - Morgan Wallen

By ryanshitkowski

"She wanted us to leave town and start a life somewhere else but I couldn't just runaway, y'know, like this i... More

One
Two
Three
Four
Five
Six
Seven
Eight
Nine
Ten
Eleven
Twelve
Thirteen
Fourteen
Fifteen
Sixteen
Seventeen
Eighteen
Nineteen
Twenty
Twenty One
Twenty Two
Twenty Three
Twenty Five
Twenty Six
Twenty Seven
Twenty Eight
Twenty Nine
Thirty

Twenty Four

1.7K 20 9
By ryanshitkowski

Bettin' Man // That's How Ya Left Me - Riley Green

Two Years Later

Daniella hasn't talked or seen Morgan since that day, she has thought about him a good bit, though. She's moved into the master bedroom with her now fiancé Riley at her fathers house while Hardy moved out to Nashville with his girlfriend from Ole Miss to pursue his own music career for himself.

Riley and Dani have a date set and it's coming up pretty quick, a few weeks left. It's in the fall, September, on his parents farm in Alabama, easy decision since she has no family in Tennessee anymore and Hardy is still giving her away, obviously since she's still best friends with him.

She considers them her only family.

Currently, the betrothed couple are heading over to Nashville for Michael's release party he's having for his album Hixtape. He called Daniella every time he finished a song to get her input, she still loves that. Dani and Hardy's girlfriend, Caleigh, became fast friends and they're closer than her and Hardy are, he's jealous but happy.

"Michael!" Dani squeaks when she sees him, giving him a huge hug. It's been about a year since she's last seen him in person. "I missed you!"

"I missed you too, baby!" He smiles, holding her tighter. "Thanks for comin' out here." He says to the couple. "I really appreciate it."

"Of course, darlin'! Where's Caleigh?"

"Probably at the bar." He hitches a thumb behind him with a smile. She follows the direction, squealing echoing throughout the room when the girls see each other. "Wow. How're you Riley? Big day's comin up pretty soon huh?"

"Absolutely, three-ish weeks left." He nods, swaying on his boot clad feet. "Can't wait." Hardy can see the love in his eyes as he talks about Daniella but deep in his heart, he knows he isn't the one she's supposed to be with. "And hey, thanks for bein' in the weddin', I know she doesn't have anyone."

"She don't have anyone? What's that supposed to mean?" Hardy kinda chuckles.

"I mean, she doesn't have family. I'm gonna have her move to Alabama with me after we get married."

"Why? Y'know that house y'all're stayin' in was the house her ole man was raised in and the house she was raised in. That house is her heart and I'm her family-"

"I'm just sayin' man." He cuts him off. "There's no reason for us to stay in Tennessee anymore. It's a dead-end." He shrugs.

"That's a bad idea, man." Hardy says, taking a drink from the beer in his hand. "Have you talked to her about it?"

"Nope, I'm gonna list the house a week before the wedding and buy one the week after."

"And you're just not gonna tell her?"

"Why would I? She'd say no."

"Right. Why have her move to a state where she don't even wanna move to?"

"It's what's best for her. I know what's best for her."

Hardy scoffs loudly as he shakes his head. "That's a good way to lose the best thing that's ever happen to you."

"She can't tell me no." He shrugs, heading toward Dani who's sitting on the couch with Caleigh. "Wanna get me a beer, darlin?" He asks her. She sighs and stands, getting him a drink before handing it to him, returning to the couch. "Thanks." He turns back to Hardy. "See?" Hardy is speechless, his blood boiling at how Riley is treating his best friend, watching him walk away.

There's a hand on his shoulder, startling him. "Fuck." He puts a hand to his chest. "Morgan? Hey!" He laughs loudly as he hugs his best bud. "Holy shit, how long has it been?"

"Too fuckin' long man!" Morgan laughs, his eyes scrunching up as he curls in on himself slightly. "It's nice bein' back here."

"Where've you been?"

"Oh, I moved down to Chattanooga for a little bit then to Knoxville." He shrugs, tugging on the sleeves of his buttoned up flannel to cuff them. "Congrats on the new album, man!"

"Thanks, man!" He smiles. "There is an open bar-"

"Who's that with Caleigh?"

"That's the future Mrs. Riley Green." Hardy spits.

"Wha- Dani? She's getting married?" He nods sadly. "Since when?"

"I'm not sure but they're gettin hitched in a few weeks." Morgan rolls his eyes. "I don't think they'll make it that far, though." He glances over at Hardy. "Just watch 'em." Hardy points with his beer.

Riley goes up to her and tells her something, she gets up and gets him some food and another beer before sitting back down. "What?" Morgan says, his jaw clenching. "I always had a bad feelin' 'bout him."

"He's gonna make her move to Alabama when they get hitched." He whispers. "He said he's gonna sell the house a week before they get married-"

"No, don't he know how important that house is to her?"

"I told 'em, he said he don't care. He said she's got no reason to stay in Tennessee since she don't have anyone here no more." Morgan laughs, getting more angry. "He said she doesn't have family so why bother staying."

"Oh wow." Morgan shakes his head. "That man has a big ol' dick if he said that about my girl." He realizes what he's said, his face goes red. "I mean- y'know what I mean."

"You still love her?"

"Maybe." He mumbles as he looks down at his boots. "I mean how can you not?" He watches her laugh and smile with Caleigh, his heart thumping out of his chest. "Look at her, man." Hardy gets a smile on his face, the same shit eatin' grin he had when he got these two together way back when in Knoxville at that frat party. "What?"

"Nothin'." He smiles, taking a drink from the beer in his hand.

+++

It's been a few hours since the party started and Riley is out on the balcony talking to someone. He's been totally ignoring Dani all night so she's been on the couch with Caleigh. "Hey, can I talk to you?" Hardy asks Dani.

"Sure. What's up?" She follows him into another room, crossing her arms over her chest. "Everythin' okay?"

"Yeah yeah yeah."

"Then what's up?"

"I need to tell you somethin' and I don't want you to get mad." She gives him a look. "Riley is planning on sellin' your house in a couple weeks to move to Alabama and he wasn't gonna tell you until the wedding." She snorts. "What?"

"He wouldn't do that. He knows how special that house and land is to me."

"I'm tellin' you." Michael says. "He told me you don't have any reason to be here because you don't have family and that you can't tell him no."

"What?"

"I'm tellin' you 'cause I care 'bout- where're you goin'?" She says nothing as she turns around and walks out to the balcony.

Riley looks up and sees her, his smile fading when he reads her face. "What's wrong?" She stays silent as she smacks him hard across the face. "What the hell!?"

"You're such an asshole." She spits. "You think I can just up and leave 'cause I don't got family anymore? You think you can just sell my house without tellin' me?" She has tears in her eyes, ignoring the looks from everyone behind her. "You think I'd just go along with it because I can't tell you no?" He tries to start talking but he's cut off by another smack. "What the hell is wrong with you?"

Riley clenches his jaw as he turns his head towards her, reaching his hand out to grab her but she's pulled away by someone. Hardy catches her and pushes her behind him. Morgan stands in front of Riley, swinging a fist at him, just like the first time they met and no one stops them. If Morgan's beating on someone while he's sober, they definitely deserved it. He's not really holding back as he beats on the man curled in on himself.

"Okay, Morgan, okay!" Hardy says, grabbing his arm. Morgan shoves him out of his way as he walks away.

"Fuck you." Riley groans. "Daniella, help me up and get me a beer."

"Dani, don't move." Hardy says, keeping an arm in front of her. "You can't fuckin' treat her like that."

"She's my fiancé. I'll treat her however the fuck I want."

"Fuck you Riley." She says. "This is over."

"Real mature, Daniella." He spits. "Endin' things with me while everyone is watchin'."

"You deserve it." Hardy shrugs. "Get outta here." Dani stops him, handing him her ring back. "We'll get your stuff sent down to Alabama for you."

"Whatever." He makes his way through the crowd, grabbing his keys and hat before leaving.

"Don't he have a house key?" Hardy asks, pointing at the door.

"Nope." Caleigh holds up a single key with a number on it with a smile. "Not anymore at least."

"Good job, baby." Dani smiles at the couple, giving them a group hug. "You okay?"

"Oh yeah I'm fine." She brushes it off. "Thanks for lookin' out for me."

"We love you, Dani." Caleigh smiles again, her hand on Hardy's chest.

"Thanks. Love y'all too." She sighs, going to the bar to get a drink for herself.

Dani goes out to another balcony, looking out at the trees and mountains, taking a deep breath. "You okay?" Morgan asks, startling her.

"I'm good. Yeah, no, I'm fine." She looks at him as he stands next to her. "Are you alright?"

"I'm sorry I did that in front of you." He whispers. "I know you don't like that and I know it just gets me in trouble but-" She leans up and kisses his cheek.

"Thank you." Morgan blushes but hides it as he looks down. "It's been so long since I've seen you. You look good." His hair has grown out into a shaggy Mohawk type style, it'll grow into another mullet for sure. He's started taking care of himself, working out and drinking less. "It's nice to see you again."

"Nice to see you too, you're still beautiful as hell." He slides next to her, looking out at the view with her.

She rolls her eyes. "You're full of shit, Wallen." They share a laugh before Dani throws a leg over the railing and pushes herself up to sit. "You joinin' me?" She looks back at him. He chuckles, shaking his head as he sits next to her, his arm around her waist to keep her planted. She rests her head on his shoulder and sighs quietly.

"Y'all okay?" Hardy asks from the door.

"Real good, baby." She answers, smiling up at Morgan.

"Oh yeah." He chuckles. "Wanna get outta here?"

"Hell yeah." She says, smiling as Morgan swings his legs over the railing, helping her down so she doesn't fall backwards.

"Where to?"

"Clinch River back home?"

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

2.7K 45 21
Blakely Moore. A.K.A Blake A girl from a medium size town in Mississippi called Philadelphia. Michael Hardy. A.K.A Hardy A boy from the sa...
2.1K 85 7
Country's favourite fast living, whiskey drinking bad boy Morgan Wallen is at the hight of his fame, when out of the blue he wakes up in the middle o...
97.8K 1.1K 62
Just a compilation of various country singers. requests: open! (requests: message me with a name and a prompt you'd want to read) I own my own char...
18.4K 282 23
"...She didn't want a roommate. She was so close to getting her own dorm but at the last minute, she was put with some chick named Riley..." Or In wh...