𝑪𝑨𝑳𝑳 𝑶𝑭 𝑻𝑯𝑬 𝑺𝑬𝑨 ¹...

By hiraethsr

❝ a mermaid belongs to the sea. she cannot stay on land without the guarantee of her death. ❞ ❝ yes, but her... More

.call of the sea
.epigraph
.prologue
.act one
i. verity of the sea
ii. a scroll of a quest
iii. a decision to make
iv. journey to rivendell
v. imladris
vi. son of arathorn
vii. a peculiar bunch
viii. a new friend
ix. secrets of the elves
x. frodo awakens
xi. arguing knuckleheads
xii. damsel in distress
xiii. fellowship of the ring
xiv. lasting goodbyes
xv. and so it begins
.act two
xvi. secrets revealed
xvii. tales of the sea
xviii. jealousy is a fickle thing
xix. bane of my existence
xx. mines of moria
xxi. they are coming
xxii. the first battle
xxiii. fall of one
xxiv. bonding experiences
xxv. lothlórien
xxvi. lady of light
xxvii. river of sorrow
xxviii. departure from the elves
xxix. dangerous rendezvous
xxx. grief, we meet again
.act three
xxxi. blue
xxxii. a new hope
xxxiii. responsibility of the crown
xxxiv. that fateful day
xxxv. determind souls
xxxvi. enemy's words
xxxvii. a trace of hope
xxxviii. garden of butterflies
xxxix. riders of rohan
xl. water spirits
xli. mysteries of the earth
xlii. the dead returns
xliii. ghost counsel
xliv. mother knows best
xlv. what happens now?
.act four
xlvi. start of it all
xlvii. guard buffoons
xlviii. the first clue
xlix. death's door
l. prince of edoras
li. shadow of blood
lii. desperate lies
liii. royal blood
liv. roman
lv. unveiled
lvi. blood and water
lvii. peace in the chaos
lviii. calm before the storm
lix. slaughter of innocence
lx. final day
lxi. the odds
lxii. pin-drop
lxiii. one final spark
lxiv. rain in the fires
lxv. to the death
lxvi. battle of helm's deep
lxvii. victory...or not?
.act five
lxviii. end of the beginning
lxix. from death to life
lxx. the awakening
lxxi. recovery from hell
lxxii. half of the peculiar
lxxiii. glorious defeat
lxxiv. victorious rejoice
lxxv. happiness at last
lxxvi. hail !
lxxvii. the darkness seeps in
lxxviii. temporary farewells
lxxix. mated souls
lxxx. bonds with a princess
lxxxi. the other side
lxxxii. rightful heir to the throne
.act six
lxxxiii. little girls
lxxxiv. what the future holds
lxxxv. lost time
lxxxvi. a cry for help
lxxxvii. start of the end
lxxxviii. death is a friend
lxxxix. just before the end
xc. endless thoughts
xcii. the night before
xciii. on the eve
xciv. outside looking in
xcv. boromir's return
xcvi. end of an era
.epilogue
.author's note

xci. father dearest

252 9 0
By hiraethsr

╔═══ -ˋˏ *.·:·.⟐.·:·.* ˎˊ- ═══╗

𝑪𝑯𝑨𝑷𝑻𝑬𝑹 𝑵𝑰𝑵𝑬𝑻𝒀 𝑶𝑵𝑬
❝ 𝒇𝒂𝒕𝒉𝒆𝒓 𝒅𝒆𝒂𝒓𝒆𝒔𝒕 ❞

╚═══ -ˋˏ *.·:·.⟐.·:·.* ˎˊ- ═══╝

THE LATE NIGHT WIND OF Rohan hits Vera's slim physique gracefully as if it had parted its pathways just for her. It continues off to the side aggressively but the mermaid standing in the face of it did not feel the harsh coolness of the breeze, and instead only perceives the sweet air floating towards her. Nevertheless, being outside her tent, under the glow of the ever-so-beautiful and luminescent moon, soothed Vera and her tender feä.

It was not long after her conversation — or heated discussion, for use of better words — with Neptune ended before Vera is exiting the tent once more, deciding to use the rest of her night to bask in the glory of the ethereal moon. Vera had everything under control now that she had spoken to Legolas and Neptune about whatever it is that troubles them, and she did not feel the urgent need to do something with her time in order to distract herself from the oncoming battle.

Previously, Vera felt like she had to do something...now, all is well, and she just has to sit down and wait for a fight she will not be fighting in. She did not like it at all. 

And to, unfortunately, add to it, Vera also had to sit down and watch as her friends and family — and her Kingdom, while she is at is — go into war with endless amounts of darkness and Uruk-hai and evil.

Vera did not know how Arwen or Èowyn or other Queens and Princesses did it; the anticipation and the hopeless thoughts already entering her mind of worry and anxiety is enough to cause distress for the brunette, and she is not fighting in the war itself. She feels horrible but she knows she cannot possibly do anything about it because she had made a promise to herself and to Legolas. Vera now learns that waiting around and doing nothing while expecting the worst is literally the most painful experience she will ever do, especially as someone who is built to fight. 

Despite all this, Vera knows she has no other option. 

Not only did she swear an oath to the father of her child and her brother, but she had committed a vow to herself as well. There will be no danger to come to her or the baby as long as she can help it, for she had been able to think back to her past self; the self who would do anything to protect her family no matter the pain she will experience herself, the self who would do anything to save her friends no matter the gutwrenching sorrow she will feel, and the self who will go to the ends of the earth for her Kingdom's safety. 

She is still, and will always, be that person.

Vera knows that she has to shield this baby from any sort of pain, so participating in a battle when she does not know the stakes is not the way to go. Besides, she is not going to risk everything just to fill herself with a thrill.

Nevertheless, it does not stop herself from worrying relentlessly for Legolas. 

The mermaid knows that causing herself so much distraught and distress is not good for the baby but she cannot help herself; when they would go into battles together, side by side, assured that everything is going to be alright, it was easier for Vera. Because she was on that same battlefield, within his proximity, and within his radar, allowing them to keep an eye on one another in the midst of all the chaos. 

Now, though, Legolas is going to involve himself in a fight that she will not be present at...because she is pregnant...with his child. Vera mentally curses her elven prince in her mind, grumbling just a little bit as she crosses her arms closer to her chest. Anyway, Vera is not going to be there when Legolas participates in a battle, so she will not be able to keep tabs on him like she normally does.

The mermaid does not even linger on the thought of losing any of her friends or family for she is aware that the speculation itself will cause her more turmoil than she needed. 

Vera had grieved immensely with the death of Boromir, a dear friend to her so close to her mournful heart, and shut down almost completely. Admittedly, Legolas had been her source of a rock to keep her grounded to Middle Earth and unable to move on...if her anchor were to die on her in battle, she may not have the strength to continue anymore. It is not because she is dependent on Legolas, no...it is because she loves him, and the loss of him is going to be more painful than anything Vera knows. 

Henceforth, Vera proceeds to attempt to lighten her heart. With a more positive approach.

Prayer.

Vera does not remember the last time she had taken the time to properly send worship to the Valar above and Eru Ilùvatar. And Vera has strong reason to believe that this would be a good time to start, what with everything happening. 

So Vera closes her eyes calmly, letting herself feel everything around her in depth; the light, colorful winds peacefully flying pass her, the glorified outlandish light of the radiant moon smiling down just for the warriors of Rohan, the spread-out blanketed sky of pure black obsidian, decorated with shining, pale stars contrasting in comparison to its background, and the comforting warmth of her lover just a few tents away emanating towards her. 

Vera reaches further within herself to get a sensation of her beautifully bright spirit and how it glows so brilliantly in the wake of her exterior self calming down in tranquility. It had definitely not felt this at peace in a long time, and the notion did not pass by unwelcomed and ungrateful. 

The brunette thinks back to her family...the ones under the sea and the ones on land. And then, she prays.

The mermaid prays that her friends, who have been with her since the beginning of their Fellowship, who have stuck by her side no matter what, and endure everything together for the longest time, who have struggled together and got through it for better or worse, that they will survive and come out of this new battle in no time, unwounded and with no problems, just as they had previously. 

The sea Queen prays that her dear brother and her cousin, both of which have always been glued to her sides like gum refusing to leave a person's shoe, and have been with her for her entire life through every unforgettable quest under the ocean surface and every mistaken adventure she sought out for herself and every meaningless breakdown Vera has gone through, will return to their rightful places in the nick of time, fulfilling their promise to one another to stay their dynamic trio. 

Vera Adelaide prays that her newfound family, the family she did not know existed until months ago, the family who took no hesitation in welcoming her as her own despite her flaws and the half of her she could not control, the family that accepted her and embraced her flaws and histories, the family who loved Vera unconditionally just how a family should, and the family who taught the innocent girl what a family really is, will come back to their awaiting loved ones and live a long, happy life after this war, stress-free and no worries but what their children will wear to a new celebration.

The Queen Vera prays — and she prays hard for this one — that her beloved, her tree prince, her elven pain in the ass, her Legolas, the one person who has done everything no else could do for her, the one person who has never given up on her no matter the shit she gave him, the one person who values her and loves her and appreciates her more than anyone and anything in the entire world, the one person who respects her and sees her as who she is, will return to her and fight through everything to ensure that this war will not cost her him because she is not going to lose him...ever.

She prays that her Legolas will come back...for their child.

And finally, Vera prays that Eru will keep her baby safe, away from any danger, and that the guided pathway he has set out for her is filled with happiness and only that.

Hmm...perhaps the last one is more of a hopeful thought than a prayer.

And what was it they said about hope?

Right...it bleeds eternal misery. 

Vera does not know how long she spent in the cold, long night but she knows it is more extensive than she originally planned. The mermaid Queen eventually let the coolness of the wind numb her body and no cloak wrapped around her body could limit the icy sensation draining her body but she could not bring herself to move from her spot. She remains in that position for a prolonged time and she had lost record of how long she stayed there. 

Truth be told, she did not exactly know why she did not just move from her location but something is clearly rendering her useless and motionless...completely. Vera is not even sure if she has blinked in the last two minutes, which is rather concerning. 

And that is exactly how Legolas eventually discovers his beloved, absolutely unmoving and expressionless. He had not been searching for her — in fact, he had left their tent aimlessly with no mission in mind — but somehow managed to spot her nonetheless. Call it their faer subconsciously guiding one another to reach other or soulmates bond but he had noticed her nevertheless, and he certainly is not going to leave her side, especially at the conditions he countered her in. 

"Vera?" 

No response. She remains unresponsive.

"Vera...?" tries Legolas again, "are you alright?"

This time, Vera snaps out of whatever daze she is in as she visibly whips into consciousness; her eyes blink repeatedly to gather feeling in her previously-still eyelids, her body begins to succumb to feeling once more and rotates itself to attempt to face Legolas, and her head returning to the correct present state of mind. She greets her prince with a half-effortless smile, which resulted in a mere twitch of her cheeks. 

"Hm? What? Yeah, no, I'm fine," answers Vera softly, trying to pass herself off as generally 'okay.' 

"Is something bothering you?" Legolas inquires kindly, a frown settling on his face as he addresses Vera. Physically, she seems to be truthful about her answer, but there is no telling what is happening inside that mind of hers. Legolas brings her body towards his unconsciously, embracing her tightly and resting his chin on her shoulder. "You're cold."

Vera ignores the shudder down her spine at the sudden contact and the hot breath hitting her frigid skin, and rolls her eyes in feigned annoyance. "No shit, love," mutters Vera under her breath.

Legolas separates his chin for a moment to peer at Vera curiously...and amused. "I have not heard you speak like that in a long time..."

Vera bites her lip. "...Is it bad?"

"No," replies Legolas immediately, "I...I have missed it."

Vera peeks at him, too. "Missed it? Are you implying that I am not that same person?"

The brunette is teasing him, of course, but Legolas did not seem to comprehend that as he begins to stutter nervously. She patiently waits for his answer with a raised brow and amusement threatening to break the surface of her passive visage. "No...I just...we changed...things have changed...I don't know—"

"Legolas," cuts off Vera, deciding that it is enough for her entertainment. "I know. I, too, think we have changed. But it is a good change, no? We are changing together. But there is something that will always stay the same."

Legolas rests his chin on her shoulder comfortably. "And what is that?"

"That I am the better one out of the both of us," Vera cheerily responds, causing Legolas to slap her backside in protest. 

"Hey!"

"I am joking—" Vera attempts to say but shrieks abruptly as she is suddenly being nestled under his arm, her hair being roughly scrubbed as they played-wrestled one another, laughs echoing in the night. "Hey, I am carrying your child, you shouldn't—"

"Are you really trying to pull the 'mother of my child' card?" 

"Yes, I am," says Vera confidently. Legolas sacrifices his dignity and releases Vera to rest by her side. 

They stare at one another for a long while before Vera leans forward to press a warm, long kiss on his lips, which he responds to immediately. Vera moans in pleasure as his lips wrap around hers instantly, and they are indulging in a passionate exchange right there and then. But they didn't care.

Soon, Legolas let go.

"I agree."

"What?"

"I agree with you. You are the better ones out of the both of us."

Vera smiles. "Aww...I have you wrapped around my finger."

"Shut up."

═══ -ˋˏ *.·:·.⟐.·:·.* ˎˊ- ═══

Soon, Vera's attention is caught by the murmurs of guards near the cliff leading towards the lower grounds. Legolas had regrettably left her side to be with Hope as she had requested his presence for the time being. She had promised to return to the warmth and comforts of their residence for the night after a few moments to gather herself. Obviously, Vera understands now that her presence is ultimately convenient as she catches onto the whispers shared between the warriors overlooking the cliff...something is coming.

Vera decides not to limit herself to the thoughts and suspicions in her mind, and walks closer to where the guards are musing to themselves. "What is going on?" she inquiries authoritatively, bringing the warriors' attention to her instead of whatever is progressing towards the people of Rohan in the encampment. "Is everything alright?"

One of the soldiers clears their throat hesitantly, exchanging uncertain glances with the other Rohirrim man before addressing Vera carefully. He seemed to be aware of her station and position as Queen, as well as her importance in the campsite they remain in, for he is overly cautious of his next words. "M—my—my...My Lady..."

"Oh, spit it out," orders Vera impatiently, rolling her eyes as she does so, "I am not going to bite your heads off. I am simply asking a question...should I have anything to worry about?"

The warrior behind him steps forward, a little more confident than his obviously nervous companion. "We are not sure, my Lady, for the figure is cloaked and hidden from our sight...we fear it may be someone against us, perhaps?"

Vera nods understandingly, eyeing the steep path leading towards their current location, and briefly wondered if these guards are correct about their new intruder. Friendly or deadly? But she knows she cannot alert the others if there was nothing there, and none of them knew who exactly is progressing through the narrow path. She forces a reassuring smile. 

"Go to King Thèoden and inform him of our recent friend," Vera commands more kindly, "another soldier may be in need of his assistance." None of them budged, causing Vera to clench her jaw just a tiny bit. "What other reason would anyone be climbing up that hill? Come along, now!"

At her last beckon, the gaping soldiers spring apart and scurry off in the direction of the King, leaving Vera to await for this fresh intruder to show their face and speak their purpose. Vera risks a glance over her shoulder to be sure no one is watching her, and leans against the boulder by the tree of the encampment, patiently waiting for their guest to reach. By the way, her feä did not react alarmingly at the incoming presence, Vera has reason to believe that this person is not harmful to her or anyone in the campsite. 

Vera further slinks into the shadows, nearly slithering into the darkness to avoid viewpoint from the newcomer, and watches as the horse and its rider ultimately reports at the point of the campground. Vera narrows her eyes just a little bit as she tries to discover who is in front of her now, and suddenly lights up in recognition as her spirit senses the familiar air around their guest...now friend. 

"If I knew you were coming, I would have prepared a banquet in your honor," Vera jokes lightly, catching his attention so suddenly that he whips around quicker than lightning to face her. 

The mermaid shifts herself into view, allowing the moon's glow to directly gleam in her angelic visage. Lord Elrond wilts in relief, a similarly happy smile illuminating his face at the Queen in front of him. "You did not have to be so harsh on Thèoden's warriors, Princess Adelaide."

With a smirk on the brunette's face, she lurches off of the boulder to collapse into the arms of Lord Elrond, who succeeded to dismount his horse just in time to catch Vera into his arms, embracing his friend with as much tightness as she was welcoming him with. A small laugh is shared between the two before they separate, gathering a good look at one another. 

"I have missed you, mellon nîn. More than you know," Elrond earnestly tells her, making Vera smile. 

"Well, I won't be so quick in agreeing. I happen to be enjoying my time without you," Vera teases just a little bit, chuckling at the way Elrond flashes her an annoyed glance.

"And there goes that moment."

Vera laughs heartily. "I am joking, melon nin...I miss you too."

"Vera, it is mellon nîn—" Elrond corrects in exasperated murmurs. 

"Why did you have to ruin the moment?" Vera groans, rolling her eyes, "I am trying, here! Being stuck with a pointy-eared prince as my beloved is quite the struggle, especially when I am unable to speak his native tongue."

Lord Elrond visibly tenses at that statement, trying his best not to portray his slight overprotectiveness and annoyance at the fact that Vera, someone who is like another daughter to him, is now with another elf, officially...Prince Legolas is a noble Ellon but can anyone really blame a fussy father? Elrond just wants what is best for Vera. 

The observant woman brilliantly catches onto his refrained irked expressions as she sends him a look. 

"Congratulations are in order?" Elrond finally forces out in a petulant tone, causing Vera to laugh aloud. 

"For Legolas and I? Please, Elrond, we are not married yet."

"Yet?" His eyes nearly bulge out. 

"You do know you have another daughter closer to marriage than I am," Vera points out. 

Elrond evidently miffs at that. "Do not remind me..." Elrond mutters. "Although, I am quite aware that...perhaps, you are next to marry another, considering your situation?"

The brunette opens her mouth in shock and in an attempt to explain herself to Elrond, but it is not like he is actually her father, and he seems to be aware of that fact. Vera notes that his tone is far from judgmental or disappointed, but more concerned — like a friend would after considering their conditions. She appreciates his choice in not overstepping. This is only between her and Legolas. 

"You know."

Elrond rolls his eyes. "Brilliant observation skills, I see." 

Vera hits his arm roughly. "Hey!"

"Yes, Vera, I know," Lord Elrond remarks, "I would not be so renowned if I was not good at who I am..."

The mermaid raises her brows impressively, internally scolding herself for not thinking about that...Lord Elrond has the ability to oversee the future...a skill not many has. Of course, Lord Elrond would see this coming.

But if he could see this...then he can see beyond.

Before Vera could ask, however, the elven Lord raises a hand carefully. "Vera, I have seen your futures, and I do not know which one is the one you wish for, but none of them have the same choices in order. In the end, you will be forced to make a choice and it may not be a choice you would like. Remember, the pain is only temporary...a brighter end will be waiting for you. But, I do tell you this...take care of your child. Their future is not guaranteed and remains unseen to me. Do not act recklessly." 

Vera considers his words, worry lines appearing on her forehead at the thought of Lord Elrond, a powerful and intelligent being, unable to see her child's future. It is a fortitude and burdensome reminder that her baby's life is controlled by her very own actions. She frowns deeply.

Elrond notes her growing distress and decides to divert her attention. "It is not healthy to worry yourself about the future for it remains unpredictable...nothing is set in stone, even to me."

Vera nods absently, but her focus is returned when the elf caresses her hair platonically.  "You have changed, Vera. In the best ways possible. I am proud of you. You have been through a lot and yet you remain stronger in the face of danger, ready to welcome more danger than ever because you know you can take it. I still see the innocent woman underneath the layers of courage but she is now mightier. You will save our world, iellig, and we will be by your side. You are beautiful, Vera, in all your glory."

The Queen smiles happily at her parental figure, letting a stray tear fall down her cheek as she chuckles appreciatively. "I am sorry, I do not mean to cry...I am just emotional because of the baby. But thank you."

"Your father would be proud. And so would your mother. They are happy. As am I, Queen Vera," Lord Elrond tells her soothingly, leaning down on one knee to bow down to her Majesty, despite Vera's words of protests.

"Oh, stand up, you cheesy elf! You will make me cry more!" exclaims Vera as more tears rush down her cheeks, creating a flush. Elrond obeys her demands. "Now, what are you doing here?"

The raven-haired elf's smile suddenly drops, creating a tense and somber mood around the previously joyful duo. "I wish to speak to Aragorn."

"About what?" Vera frowns, furrowing her brows suspiciously. 

Elrond hesitates. 

Once Lord Elrond had informed Vera of their current problems — or, for better and more accurate use of words, Vera had forced it out of him — Vera had been resolute and stubborn-minded about remaining by his side. Her protective drive flares competitively at the mention of all the troubles Arwen is confronting at the current moment, and the fact that Vera could do nothing about it is slowly driving her insane. 

Arwen, who Vera misses so, so much, is in pain and is suffering. She had sacrificed her immortality to be with Aragorn and the darkness spreading through Middle Earth as long as the ring survives is affecting Arwen. The fact that Vera is unable to do anything for her friend makes the situation even worse...and it makes Vera feel helpless.

As if she didn't have enough problems before, what with the long list of her friends and family riding to war while she is left behind, unaware if they will come out alive or not. Vera is going to have a lot of time on her hands, alone and stressed. 

Lord Thèoden and Lord Elrond had done a lot of convincing for Vera to finally leave the tent that they had inhabited for the time being. Elrond explained what he had in store for Aragorn, which means that Vera is fully aware of what is going to happen, and where exactly her three hunter friends will be going. Where Aragorn goes, Gimli and Legolas follow...she has no doubt that they will keep each other safe. Eventually, though, after Elrond requested to have a private audience with Aragorn — which Vera liked to call 'father-son bonding' (a fact Elrond did not appreciate.) — so Thèoden was forced to escort Vera out.

Thèoden had requested that Vera speak to Neptune and Corin under the information that if anything were to happen, they had a back-up plan. Apparently, her uncle had been far too irked by the fact that if Vera were to pass away in battle, there'd be no leader left for the Golden Kingdom by law. He also suggested that they perhaps change that rule, which Vera laughed in consideration. 

So, that resulted in Vera, her brother, and Corin in the tent, a piece of parchment sprawled out in front of them.

A few guards are surrounding them, bearing witness to the signature-signing and to deliver the message to Atlantis. After much consideration and discussion — which consisted of Neptune denying his sister's possible death or Corin denying the throne because of his disbelief over being related to Royal blood — the three had made a final decision. Now, all they have to do is sign.

Vera skims through the parchment paper with dull eyes and gulps at the bottom part of the page. 

By order of the Queen Vera of Atlantis, Protector of the Oceans of Arda, she hereby declares that Neptune Prince is next-in-line for the throne of Atlantis as High King of the Ocean and Ulmonan Empire until signed and declared otherwise by Queen Vera herself. If Neptune Prince were to pass away in battle, Corin Decourt will be next in line to rule, but if the same procedure follows, Coral of Atlantis will be assigned to reign Atlantis as last-in-line. 

Signed by Order of the High Queen Vera. 

Vera sighs. "Well...that is it then."

"Yes...I believe so."

Now, Vera can rest easy, knowing Atlantis will be safe again...with her dead or alive. 

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

23.8K 815 79
shes a pirate elf and hes an elf prince, what a pair right? legolas and maeral have been childhood best friends ever since they were pretty much 6...
mithril By elle

Fanfiction

27.5K 841 37
Warrior. Shadow. Ruthless. The freest of hearts and sharpest of tongues. A survivor in her own right. A human girl, born of the ancient blood of Núm...
1.6K 79 18
-𝙒𝙝𝙖𝙩...𝙬𝙝𝙮 𝙬𝙤𝙪𝙡𝙙 𝙮𝙤𝙪 𝙙𝙤 𝙩𝙝𝙞𝙨 𝙩𝙤 𝙢𝙚? -𝘽𝙚𝙘𝙖𝙪𝙨𝙚 𝙄'𝙢 𝙩𝙞𝙧𝙚𝙙... -𝙊𝙛 𝙬𝙝𝙖𝙩? -𝙔𝙤𝙪... ________________________...
178K 8.7K 46
A shadow lies on Thranduil and his forest, and only a power stronger than the darkness of old can save them. Grief and loss have turned him into a ki...